Golden Sun Hacking Community
April 27, 2017, 03:28:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Golden Sun The Lost Age Editor Open Sourced (Dev alpha v0.5 download inside)  (Read 34385 times)
Atrius
Programmer Extraordinaire
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

Coins: 1

Emblems: Website Founder
Clan Position: Creation God of Sol

« on: February 25, 2012, 11:07:10 PM »

Developer Alpha Version 0.5

[Download Link]
Developer Alpha Version 0.5, Feb 25, 2012 (1.99 MB .zip)

Wait, the editor is open source now?  What's going on?

I've realized that the editor doesn't just belong to me, it belongs to everyone here.  Combined with the fact that ever since I enlisted in the Military I simply haven't had enough time, or energy to give the project the attention it deserves, this seemed like the logical choice to me.  I'm opening up the project so that anyone with the skills, and desire can contribute to it.  Toward that end I've released the program, and it's source under the GNU public license.  What this basically means is anyone is free to copy, share, and modify the source as long as they give me credit, and it remains under the GNU public license.

As an additional note, I apologize in advance for my poorly organized, uncommented code.

What does this "Developer Alpha Version" nonsense mean?

This is the in-development version of the editor, it contains features that haven't been completed or fully tested.  No guarantee is made about it's level of polish, or stability.

What features that haven't been completed?

1) The sprite editor of course, as I've said before it only works with 2 out of 4 sprite formats right now.  It's extremely slow, hasn't been polished or fully tested yet.  For example, while it's saving the editor may appear to lock up.  It's still working on saving sprites it's just decided it's become too busy with that to play nice with Windows any more, after it's completed saving it will begin responding again.

2) The data viewer (which has been a long time coming, but still isn't finished)  It's a gargantuan feature that won't be polished and final for a LONG time, it's still quite unstable and unpolished.  Still, it can do a lot of cool things: view palettes, tilesets, images, Hex data, ASM code, scan code for data pointers, track where those data pointers are used in the code, e.t.c.

Can I make modifications and release my own version of the editor?

Yes you can!  Just be aware of the following conditions:

- You must label your release as modified, you cannot release it as an "official" version of the editor under my name.
- Your modified version must also be released under the GNU public license.
- You must make your modified source code available for download.
- You can NOT remove any notices in the program that it was originally created by me, or that it is under the GNU public license

To label it as modified by you I highly recommend editing the create event of "obj_about" in the "titlebar buttons" folder of the Game Maker source code to include a statement that it is your modified version of the editor.

I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything
View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 4

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 11:13:05 PM »

Okay, now then... let's pull a team together.  If we get multiple people working on multiple aspects, compile them together, and work out the kinks while fixing things like conflicting code and what not, then we'll have a much more functional editor much more quickly.

This is most definitely a step in the right direction.

View Profile WWW
Kioll
Pyromancer

I'm a Mars Adept! You know, red hair, bad temper?

Coins: 0

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 01:18:55 AM »

THANK YOU!!!!  You released the feature I needed for my BYOND project.  Now that I can import and export sprites, I can begin the long and painful process of creating base sprites for Golden Sun BYOND.  You, Atrius, are a miracle worker.  Also, what language is the editor in?

I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?
View Profile
Tetsuya the Azure Blade
The Shadow Fang
Luna Clan

Kick your @#$, that's what I'm gonna do.

Great Member

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 09:50:41 AM »

THANK YOU!!!!  You released the feature I needed for my BYOND project.  Now that I can import and export sprites, I can begin the long and painful process of creating base sprites for Golden Sun BYOND.  You, Atrius, are a miracle worker.  Also, what language is the editor in?
The Editor itself is programmed in GML, but I think he needed to make something in C++, or some other language. I think it was a DLL what he needed to make, that is what I think.
View Profile
Misery
Bad Luck

Great Member

Coins: 2

Clan Position: Mercury Hack Leader

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 11:54:57 PM »

This is good news indeed, and possibly a big step towards the completion of the editor. I can understand why you'd be reluctant to make it open source, but I'm glad you did so anyway. Perhaps even I will be able to contribute something... I'm not sure when, though.
View Profile
MaxiPower
Feed Me Coins!!
Venus Clan

Great Member

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 11:55:17 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5bfzT6JALI&lc=BiJw23veE89efoFRyZ4y97jV35yEE4-XNv6ereIQqro&feature=inbox

can anyone explain why my Sakum sprite worked, like it was made not taking the colour/color requirements in mind...

View Profile
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 12:37:06 AM »

The editor automatically converts imported sprites to Golden Sun's palette.

View Profile WWW
MaxiPower
Feed Me Coins!!
Venus Clan

Great Member

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 12:38:02 AM »

really, thats amazing.
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 01:21:04 AM »

really, thats amazing.
This.  That'll come in really handy.

View Profile WWW
Lord Squirtle
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

Coins: 26

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.
Emblems: Have a nice day.

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 03:32:37 AM »

I haven't really been able to test it out very much, but it seems pretty nice! Though, if the working sprite formats are 0 and 1, is it possible to convert other sprites and save them in one of the working formats?

And the Wise One is a Mary Sue!

Hey there! I see you over there, looking at me... Wanna come over for a Milk Drink? ;)
Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.
Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 05:15:33 AM »

Yes, it's slow but it will convert sprites to formats 0 & 1.  Like I said the editor may appear to lock up while saving a bunch of edited sprites, but it should start responding again once it finishes which may take a while.

EDIT: Yikes, this version seems to have quite a problem working with some compression formats that were working in v0.4.  I'll try to get a fix out soon...

EDIT 2:  Luckily it was a very simple fix, original link has been updated too.
[GoldenSunTLA_Editor_DevV0_5_r2.zip]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:45:36 AM by Atrius » Logged

View Profile WWW
Kioll
Pyromancer

I'm a Mars Adept! You know, red hair, bad temper?

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 05:46:01 AM »

Hey, Atrius, is there anyway to export pallette swaps?  Or do I have to export the sprite and find the pallette swap manually?

I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?
View Profile
JamietheFlameUser
Diamond Pokémon
Mars Clan

Does this look like the face of mercy?

Prodigy

I am: Poke poke poke poke... I can't stop it...

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 04:41:57 PM »

Um... It's not opening files for me. At all. I select an unmodified ROM and hit "Open" and it does nothing. I'm currently using Windows XP.

Edit: Actually, it does open files, but it won't open unmodified ROMs, for some reason.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:44:06 PM by JamietheFlameUser » Logged

:P

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

Spoiler for epic mindscrew:
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 05:34:26 PM »

Wait, seriously?  It can't open a base rom?  That's one hell of a glitch. O.o

View Profile WWW
Lord Squirtle
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

Coins: 26

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.
Emblems: Have a nice day.

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 06:02:07 PM »

It was doing that for me too, and I use Windows 7... Hm, have you tried clicking and dragging the ROM onto the editor? I managed to fix my problem by doing that, since it wouldn't even open modified files for me.

And the Wise One is a Mary Sue!

Hey there! I see you over there, looking at me... Wanna come over for a Milk Drink? ;)
Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.
Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Today at 12:17:52 AM
Fox: (e.g. The process of reomving, replacing, adding, and/or moving around current ability effects to other index numbers.... ETC.)
Today at 12:15:33 AM
Fox: Or an Ability Effect editor, even.... But I imagine most of those would involve have patches applied to help with compatibility, and what not.?
Today at 12:10:36 AM
Fox: Hm. Oh! Did Atrius's Editor contain code from the April Fools version? Might be cool to have that, I'm guessing? - And yes, tools... even specific feature tools... Like an Intellect Editor, maybe.... If it was practical. (Not saying doable, but practical.)
Yesterday at 11:58:08 PM
Lord Squirtle: And yeah, "far less user-friendly" as an argument relies on the current lack of tools that could make using that easier.
Yesterday at 11:57:26 PM
Lord Squirtle: Since the GS editor is actually slower than using a hex editor is when it comes to classes, especially if you are mostly copying or tweaking existing classes to make full lines for them.
Yesterday at 11:56:18 PM
Lord Squirtle: Well I mean, it's the kind of effect that could easily be applied to a number of abilities if one wants. Having to open up a hex editor to use it for each of those abilities would take some time, and wouldn't really be as worthwhile as it can be for classes.
Yesterday at 11:50:27 PM
Fox: Far less user-friendly? Hm? I would say it depends on the tools/and such... For example, still haven't gotten my Exporter project done....
Yesterday at 10:07:39 PM
Lord Squirtle: But what I was thinking of doing with the unused effects was figuring out which ones are still available and combining them; averaging out the differences between each one so they make up for the ones that are missing.
Yesterday at 10:05:36 PM
Lord Squirtle: I may consider moving the effects to the end of the effect list, since I moved the pointer table and added some empty space on the end. My main concern with that is that it would be far less user friendly.
Yesterday at 08:06:20 PM
Fox: Heh... Starting to make me want to add the Ability Editor to my own Editor now... So I can do that, and have chance values listed for each and every one. (So it is more specific than Atrius's editor.)
Yesterday at 08:03:06 PM
Fox: Well, 0-255.
Yesterday at 08:02:53 PM
Fox: The max probably being 255.
Yesterday at 08:00:09 PM
Fox: (@Editor modification: In which case, I would recommend adding support up to the maximum number for future purposes.... if at all reasonably possible.)
Yesterday at 07:53:50 PM
Fox: @Disabling them: It kinda would be a trade-off for those who want to use those effects that went unused.... ...  I have a suggestion, though... and it might be rather interesting. But have you thought about using one of the unused flags to like... switch out Effect lists? (So you can have your own if you don't want to modify the editor.) I imagine it is rather unnecessary, though. Since it is easy enough to extend the list with a quick editor modification.
Yesterday at 04:46:01 PM
Lord Squirtle: And elements too from the looks of things.
Yesterday at 04:44:05 PM
Lord Squirtle: Makes me wonder how much work it would take to add more djinn slots.
Yesterday at 04:30:45 PM
Lord Squirtle: Well, total - 1.
Yesterday at 04:30:13 PM
Lord Squirtle: Huh, neat. I think I found the part of the djinn battle menu code that decides how many djinn of each element exist.
Yesterday at 02:53:07 PM
Lord Squirtle: I should probably look into disabling the multiplier chance for those now that I think about it.
Yesterday at 02:52:17 PM
Lord Squirtle: I still am, but mainly because it doesn't look like there are any abilities that use those effects.

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise