News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Golden Sun The Lost Age Editor Open Sourced (Dev alpha v0.5 download inside)

Started by Atrius, 25, February, 2012, 06:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

Once you selected a sprite set double click on an image in that set to open the image editor.  There's an options button at the top left with a selection for loading from an image.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

HyperMushrambo

So an issue I've been having with the sprite editor thing. I thought I could use the Agatio sprites for one of the main characters if I exported them as an image and then imported them into the character's, but I still get a completely invisible character. Any idea why this is? I still have my dreams of playing through with Karst and Agatio as my main characters. Is it still a compression issue or am I just doing something wrong?

Yes, there is. Version 0.5 has the newly introduced Data Viewer. 0.5 can also edit sprites in the Sprites Editor, I believe. So if you want to edit sprites, I suppose you could try it out...
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Aile~♥

Yeah, I've seen that before. I have NO idea what decides whether v0.5 dev is willing to actually open a ROM or not. Certainly, it doesn't open unmodified ROMs, and it doesn't open all modified ROMs either.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Zeldafan24: Are you also trying that with the ROM in the same folder as the editor?
I think the "title" label comes from the language.ini file... so it would be interesting to figure out why it can't read the string...

From what I've tested, the current directory is switched to where ever the ROM file is. (It is supposed to stay at the editor's directory for use with reading the language.ini file, and possibly other editor-related files.)

--
By having the ROM in the same folder as the editor (and with a working ini file), I suspect the File => Open would also work okay, as well. During testing, anyway. Otherwise, nothing seems to happen.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

CamKrist

I decided to give a hand and sent a post into social bookmarks. I hope the popularity will rise in.

Aile~♥

Misery

We'll find out soon enough, won't we?

A ton of new members join: Great idea!
Nothing really happens: Ok... it didn't make much of a difference.
Site gets shut down... hell, what am I saying? It's not like that would happen.

Yeah, it would be better to advertise in Golden Sun related communities. Gaming (Even better, RPG communities.) and Game Hacking communities could also apply, however, you must be the judge on how likely those people would be interested in Golden Sun. When in doubt, you could just ask if anyone likes Golden Sun before posting a link to this website.

Somehow, I doubt that the site would get shut down.  There are plenty sites out there that deserve to be shut down first, before this one. I think. Not that Camelot would pay much attention to those. (Except for the ones actually allowing people to download their games.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Rolina

Yeah, unlike Square Enix, Nintendo seems to be a lot more lenient on things like this - look at FE6 and Mother3's english patch projects, for example.  So long as we don't try to make a profit off of this, we shouldn't have to worry too much about C&Ds.  However, it's not a good idea to poke a bee's nest to see if they get angry - when it comes to advertising the site, err on the side of caution.

Aile~♥

*coughcough*SKYLANDERS*coughcough*. But yeah, so far Nintendo's been pretty lenient, despite their constant, weak attempts at preventing Wii software modders from modding.

Rolina

Sorry for the rez, but I've got to ask...

Has anyone worked on making an update to this?  I mean, it's open source now, so some of those patches we've had, some of the new stuff we've come up with... and of course, proper keyboard support... surely we can make a 0.6 for easier edits, right?

Salanewt

I'll give it a shot if I can find a free copy software and get it to work on my laptop, but as it stands I had to pirate it before and it eventually stopped working. Managed to increase the compatible formula count and fix some typos though. Also added something else that Fox eventually added to his version anyway.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Luna_blade

@Lord Squirtle:
I have an old GM8 lying around. I could pass it to you.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Rolina

Can I make a suggestion?  Integrate some of the more popular or useful patches, or at least versions of them.  The class template, PP as Base Damage power source, etc.  For things like the template, instead of a checkmark, give it a button that says "apply" instead.

Also, anything we can do to expand on what's available should be done.  Import options for icons, longer list for classes, etc.  Oh, and apply the new compression methods that were found, rather than the brute force one that exists now.

I know it may seem pushy to ask for all of these features, but... well, it kind of needs them.  Especially given now much more time has gone by since the release.

Salanewt

Luna: Oh man, that would be terrific. I can't promise being able to figure out much, but some sort of update would be great; maybe based off of Teawater's map version so everything is consistent.

Role: I don't really have a lot of experience with GM (or programming languages in general), but I can give some of these things a shot. I made a post here that would be my top starting priority, with my overall end goals being efficiency and simplicity while staying within the base limits of the game. Patches fall on the lower end because it takes about a minute to download and install one, although I can try for some of the simpler ones. The class-related bullets should be a huge improvement regardless.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, another minor goal is also to expand a bit on the enemy editor. I'll try for things like enemy death sounds and the like if I can figure it out.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

I like that we are discussing this.

In a way, I'm somewhat convinced moving to another language like C# or Java is probably the way to go...?
As long as these are true:
-GML and C# have similarities in languages in that you use { }, etc.
-If you can port to Linux/Mac/etc.. using (http://www.mono-project.com/ ???) that's great. - Googling, I found this http://www.drdobbs.com/windows/c-and-nets-sudden-ubiquity/240169282 ... (Posted Nov. 2014) Maybe it is interesting?
-Game Maker seems to be CPU-intensive, I reckon we could solve that problem. Game Maker also has a poor user-interface in my opinion.
-I know how to do fast IO-data loading in C#/Java, where-as Game Maker may require the DLL.
-

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Salanewt

I'd pick C# myself. Could be nice picking up a widely used language like that, and I could even apply it to M&L hacking someday.

But of course, it would be also cool to at least add some basic things to the GM version sooner or later. At least until everything else is added to the other.

Cool. I guess C# it is, then? (Over Java, Python, etc.)
@M&L hacking: If you remember, I actually already started that... (I called it Checkpoint #1, because it was my early attempts at moving the Yoshi Magic VB project to C#.) Now, I reckon if we get REAL lucky, we could have Golden Sun and M&L in the same project. (In the beginning, I might have them separate, but I guess it depends on how many shared resources there are? --  Things like OAM format, BG format, assembly, etc. )

@GM: I agree with that too, because the transition would take quite some time, but I believe it will be worth it.

---
Visual Studio 2015 coming this summer.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden