Golden Sun Hacking Community
August 22, 2017, 02:39:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Golden Sun The Lost Age Editor Open Sourced (Dev alpha v0.5 download inside)  (Read 36455 times)
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

Coins: 32

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.
Emblems: Have a nice day.

« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2015, 07:14:53 PM »

I'd pick C# myself. Could be nice picking up a widely used language like that, and I could even apply it to M&L hacking someday.

But of course, it would be also cool to at least add some basic things to the GM version sooner or later. At least until everything else is added to the other.

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2015, 07:39:40 PM »

Cool. I guess C# it is, then? (Over Java, Python, etc.)
@M&L hacking: If you remember, I actually already started that... (I called it Checkpoint #1, because it was my early attempts at moving the Yoshi Magic VB project to C#.) Now, I reckon if we get REAL lucky, we could have Golden Sun and M&L in the same project. (In the beginning, I might have them separate, but I guess it depends on how many shared resources there are? --  Things like OAM format, BG format, assembly, etc. )

@GM: I agree with that too, because the transition would take quite some time, but I believe it will be worth it.

---
Visual Studio 2015 coming this summer.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 08:36:32 PM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...
*Cross my fingers and hope we have Big Brother All-Stars next year... with Paulie & Cody Califorie(sp?)... and Vanessa & Tiffany Rousso.... Would be fun? :P Especially if one of the boys got evicted early since there's usually some all-guy alliance in there, right?
View Profile
Luna_blade
The last member of the Luna clan
Luna Clan

Great Member

Coins: 0

I am: Timeless. As in, i don't have much free time.

« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2015, 08:47:14 PM »

Okay then, I put it on 4shared for a little while.
http://www.4shared.com/rar/3SLG1rtkba/GM8.html
(beware that you need an account for 4shared!)
(also, there are decompilers in the GM folder and GM itself has some extensions)

It be nice to see a new version of the editor.
GM isn't necessarily slower, it just not made for editors and indeed, the DLL thing is not fast at all.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 08:49:49 PM by Luna_blade, Reason: also » Logged

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2015, 09:02:45 PM »

It be nice to see a new version of the editor.

GM isn't necessarily slower, it just not made for editors and indeed, the DLL thing is not fast at all.
Um? I'd say stay away from both of them when possible.
I believe the reason to use the DLL was to get access to the fast I/O  data loading method, thingy...? (The editor uses it to decompress the map data to make the ~7 files in Temp, but when it goes to load & display the map with that data, it does not... unfortunately. But if it did, I predict you wouldn't need the box that pops up on loading a map. -- The slow byte by byte loading method would also be slow in .NET as well.)

But anyway, I think DLLs are best when you have more than one executable application needing to access the same library of functions.(?)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 09:13:40 PM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
*Cross my fingers and hope we have Big Brother All-Stars next year... with Paulie & Cody Califorie(sp?)... and Vanessa & Tiffany Rousso.... Would be fun? :P Especially if one of the boys got evicted early since there's usually some all-guy alliance in there, right?
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.

« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2015, 10:16:55 PM »

Haha, well, thanks for uploading that Luna! The major downside is it's telling me I have to use 8.1, and I think I may also have to grab the Pro version if I'm remembering the last time I tried Lite 8.1. Oh well, I'll just think of some other ideas for polishing the editor up in the meantime.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
JamietheFlameUser
Diamond Pokémon
Mars Clan

Does this look like the face of mercy?

Prodigy

I am: Poke poke poke poke... I can't stop it...

« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2015, 10:20:47 PM »

Maybe you could get lucky and they might have 8.1 Pro on for a sale. It's still not super cheap, but I got it at somewhere around 50-60% of its normal price? Supposedly it includes the ability to publish to Mac, but it requires you to have a Mac on the same local network or something and I haven't been able to figure out how to make it work at all.

:P

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

Spoiler for epic mindscrew:
View Profile
Luna_blade
The last member of the Luna clan
Luna Clan

Great Member

I am: Timeless. As in, i don't have much free time.

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »

Haha, well, thanks for uploading that Luna! The major downside is it's telling me I have to use 8.1, and I think I may also have to grab the Pro version if I'm remembering the last time I tried Lite 8.1. Oh well, I'll just think of some other ideas for polishing the editor up in the meantime.
Which version of GSE do you try to open? It works fine when I 0.5.
And which GameMaker.exe do you use?
IIRC, you need to execute GameMaker(2).exe which is bigger.

But anyway, I think DLLs are best when you have more than one executable application needing to access the same library of functions.(?)
Getting a bit off topic, but I also think it's for structure and saving memory space. However, most computer have plenty of memory space, on the other hand, new mobile phone and tablets don't.
But yeah, sometimes it is not quite as handy as they thought it would be.

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2015, 12:41:30 PM »

Which version of GSE do you try to open? It works fine when I 0.5.
And which GameMaker.exe do you use?
IIRC, you need to execute GameMaker(2).exe which is bigger.
I get the feeling he's trying to use my version, which likely requires a later version than Atrius's original source.

Getting a bit off topic, but I also think it's for structure and saving memory space. However, most computer have plenty of memory space, on the other hand, new mobile phone and tablets don't.
But yeah, sometimes it is not quite as handy as they thought it would be.
@Saving memory space: While that was sort of my point about having multiple EXEs access the DLL instead of duplicating code across them... Would it be possible to hook up some memory chips in that case? (Ex: Like a thumb drive for extra ROM memory, etc.) ; If you're a huge gamer and developer using lots of big apps and stuff, I'd reckon DLLs would not be enough to keep you from needing something like that? (I'd say graphics can easily take up more room than code, especially if they're HD/high quality.) -- One thing though, I wonder if accesses made to the thumb drive would be slower than the hard drive? (Most likely? But just how much slower? I might google some time?)

And yes, getting a bit off-topic... But I can say that I already started with the new C# GS editor... Or well, it's so early, it's better I not say anything in fear that it might get delayed for years without work... but the point is I'm at least thinking about it at the minimum. -- And that I'm still thinking about the main form being the Map Viewer/Editor, with sub-editors that pop up on separate forms for everything else.... (Think of it like Lunar Magic.)

--

I want to thank you for that download as well... The ol' Studio is too messed up for me to use. (The updater keeps resetting... aka:closing and opening. It's like it only works on the first use or something?)
Now I guess I can work on copying/pasting code... (As soon as I figure out which snippets I want.)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 05:07:08 PM by Fox » Logged

View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2015, 03:08:25 AM »

Jamie: Nuts to buying it, lol. I might as well learn a programming language and start from scratch at that point, especially since I can do a lot of it on my own already.

Luna & Fox (8/8.1): Interesting... Yeah, I think I ran the wrong .exe and I also tried opening the Teawater map version, which is based on 8.1.

And awesome stuff. It looks like you might be doing the bulk of it for a bit then; going to try to pick up a language between the busy periods of my schedule.

View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 10

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2015, 04:54:24 AM »

I like that we are discussing this.

In a way, I'm somewhat convinced moving to another language like C# or Java is probably the way to go...?
As long as these are true:
-GML and C# have similarities in languages in that you use { }, etc.
-If you can port to Linux/Mac/etc.. using (http://www.mono-project.com/ ???) that's great. - Googling, I found this http://www.drdobbs.com/windows/c-and-nets-sudden-ubiquity/240169282 ... (Posted Nov. 2014) Maybe it is interesting?
-Game Maker seems to be CPU-intensive, I reckon we could solve that problem. Game Maker also has a poor user-interface in my opinion.
-I know how to do fast IO-data loading in C#/Java, where-as Game Maker may require the DLL.
-
We discussed changing languages before.  Two years ago.  Forgive me if I lack faith in swapping to another language.  Let's stick with this, and just switch to Open GS when it's done.

View Profile WWW
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
August 20, 2017, 08:59:37 PM
Fox: Same... depending on whether they've used tricks instead or not.
August 20, 2017, 08:02:49 PM
Salanewt: I could see it counting.
August 20, 2017, 11:24:44 AM
Fox: Not sure if Zelda (LttP/Minish Cap) count or not...
August 20, 2017, 11:23:00 AM
Fox: Appararently, I can't think of many GBA games that do the psuedo-3D thing. (That being 2D maps with 3D-like collision...) Golden Sun and Superstar Saga come to mind, though... but I'll need to think about others, since it is quite possible i've simply forgotten....
August 19, 2017, 03:45:19 PM
Fox: Hmm... Thought: What if Isaac and co. weren't on Jupiter Lighthouse when Felix and co. were... I wonder if the story could have had a huge expansion, in this case.
August 18, 2017, 12:18:56 PM
Fox: Welcome back!
August 18, 2017, 09:12:43 AM
Luna_blade: back from vacation
August 17, 2017, 02:29:26 AM
Fox: That moment when you realize that there is a lot of chatting going on on Discord, that there is no point in trying to keep up. :P  Hm....
August 16, 2017, 04:50:22 AM
Fox: (Then again, just because posting is disabled, doesn't necessarily mean the buttons would be removed as well.)
August 16, 2017, 04:48:55 AM
Fox: (I mean, buttons I would expect to be similar to that.... rather than those specifically since I recall posting there to be disabled.)
August 16, 2017, 04:33:02 AM
Fox: Yeah... I like to think of it as a page loaded with ads. And it's not just the forum home page either... check the sub-forums/topics themselves. == New Topic/Reply/etc. buttons were affected.
August 15, 2017, 07:04:30 PM
Salanewt: Lol, nice. :P
August 15, 2017, 06:33:02 PM
Foxhttp://z9.invisionfree.com/Golden_Sun_Hacking/index.php? == Hahaha! GSHC Classic looks funny now that Photobucket killed the images. :P Anyway, how is everyone doing today?
August 14, 2017, 07:12:02 PM
Salanewt: So yeah, I'm typing up a non-academic essay on why GS2 was rushed; expect that sometime soon!
August 07, 2017, 05:53:11 AM
Fox: But anyway, such a hack mod is simply an idea, and I do not have any current plans to work on it at this time, so.....
August 07, 2017, 05:51:46 AM
Fox: Okay, cool. I think my idea works best without an ability to swap PCs (OR to just simply make that use it the PC's turn.) Hmmm... And with that, I question if a turn list is even needed with my approach. (Outside of maybe 1 entry, if that shortens the modifications.)
August 07, 2017, 05:13:26 AM
Salanewt: To be honest I've been thinking of expanding the battle turn section and also adding code for PCs to have more than two turns in the AI overhaul, but I probably won't allow anyone to have more than four.
August 06, 2017, 12:22:17 AM
Fox: Oh, and if that approach was taken = Would like to also have it so you select the spell to use when it is actually your turn rather than at round start.
August 06, 2017, 12:12:37 AM
Fox: Would take a lot of balancing, but I can see an adept being very slow, and yet very powerful.
August 06, 2017, 12:06:11 AM
Fox: And bosses can have an Agility that is above half of the maximum possible Agility. Mwahaha.

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise