News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Golden Sun The Lost Age Editor Open Sourced (Dev alpha v0.5 download inside)

Started by Atrius, 25, February, 2012, 06:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna_blade

Okay then, I put it on 4shared for a little while.
http://www.4shared.com/rar/3SLG1rtkba/GM8.html
(beware that you need an account for 4shared!)
(also, there are decompilers in the GM folder and GM itself has some extensions)

It be nice to see a new version of the editor.
GM isn't necessarily slower, it just not made for editors and indeed, the DLL thing is not fast at all.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

QuoteIt be nice to see a new version of the editor.

QuoteGM isn't necessarily slower, it just not made for editors and indeed, the DLL thing is not fast at all.
Um? I'd say stay away from both of them when possible.
I believe the reason to use the DLL was to get access to the fast I/O  data loading method, thingy...? (The editor uses it to decompress the map data to make the ~7 files in Temp, but when it goes to load & display the map with that data, it does not... unfortunately. But if it did, I predict you wouldn't need the box that pops up on loading a map. -- The slow byte by byte loading method would also be slow in .NET as well.)

But anyway, I think DLLs are best when you have more than one executable application needing to access the same library of functions.(?)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

Haha, well, thanks for uploading that Luna! The major downside is it's telling me I have to use 8.1, and I think I may also have to grab the Pro version if I'm remembering the last time I tried Lite 8.1. Oh well, I'll just think of some other ideas for polishing the editor up in the meantime.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Aile~♥

Maybe you could get lucky and they might have 8.1 Pro on for a sale. It's still not super cheap, but I got it at somewhere around 50-60% of its normal price? Supposedly it includes the ability to publish to Mac, but it requires you to have a Mac on the same local network or something and I haven't been able to figure out how to make it work at all.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Luna_blade

Quote from: Lord Squirtle on 25, April, 2015, 06:16:55 PM
Haha, well, thanks for uploading that Luna! The major downside is it's telling me I have to use 8.1, and I think I may also have to grab the Pro version if I'm remembering the last time I tried Lite 8.1. Oh well, I'll just think of some other ideas for polishing the editor up in the meantime.
Which version of GSE do you try to open? It works fine when I 0.5.
And which GameMaker.exe do you use?
IIRC, you need to execute GameMaker(2).exe which is bigger.

QuoteBut anyway, I think DLLs are best when you have more than one executable application needing to access the same library of functions.(?)
Getting a bit off topic, but I also think it's for structure and saving memory space. However, most computer have plenty of memory space, on the other hand, new mobile phone and tablets don't.
But yeah, sometimes it is not quite as handy as they thought it would be.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

QuoteWhich version of GSE do you try to open? It works fine when I 0.5.
And which GameMaker.exe do you use?
IIRC, you need to execute GameMaker(2).exe which is bigger.
I get the feeling he's trying to use my version, which likely requires a later version than Atrius's original source.

QuoteGetting a bit off topic, but I also think it's for structure and saving memory space. However, most computer have plenty of memory space, on the other hand, new mobile phone and tablets don't.
But yeah, sometimes it is not quite as handy as they thought it would be.
@Saving memory space: While that was sort of my point about having multiple EXEs access the DLL instead of duplicating code across them... Would it be possible to hook up some memory chips in that case? (Ex: Like a thumb drive for extra ROM memory, etc.) ; If you're a huge gamer and developer using lots of big apps and stuff, I'd reckon DLLs would not be enough to keep you from needing something like that? (I'd say graphics can easily take up more room than code, especially if they're HD/high quality.) -- One thing though, I wonder if accesses made to the thumb drive would be slower than the hard drive? (Most likely? But just how much slower? I might google some time?)

And yes, getting a bit off-topic... But I can say that I already started with the new C# GS editor... Or well, it's so early, it's better I not say anything in fear that it might get delayed for years without work... but the point is I'm at least thinking about it at the minimum. -- And that I'm still thinking about the main form being the Map Viewer/Editor, with sub-editors that pop up on separate forms for everything else.... (Think of it like Lunar Magic.)

--

I want to thank you for that download as well... The ol' Studio is too messed up for me to use. (The updater keeps resetting... aka:closing and opening. It's like it only works on the first use or something?)
Now I guess I can work on copying/pasting code... (As soon as I figure out which snippets I want.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

Jamie: Nuts to buying it, lol. I might as well learn a programming language and start from scratch at that point, especially since I can do a lot of it on my own already.

Luna & Fox (8/8.1): Interesting... Yeah, I think I ran the wrong .exe and I also tried opening the Teawater map version, which is based on 8.1.

And awesome stuff. It looks like you might be doing the bulk of it for a bit then; going to try to pick up a language between the busy periods of my schedule.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Quote from: Fox on 25, April, 2015, 02:33:14 PM
I like that we are discussing this.

In a way, I'm somewhat convinced moving to another language like C# or Java is probably the way to go...?
As long as these are true:
-GML and C# have similarities in languages in that you use { }, etc.
-If you can port to Linux/Mac/etc.. using (http://www.mono-project.com/ ???) that's great. - Googling, I found this http://www.drdobbs.com/windows/c-and-nets-sudden-ubiquity/240169282 ... (Posted Nov. 2014) Maybe it is interesting?
-Game Maker seems to be CPU-intensive, I reckon we could solve that problem. Game Maker also has a poor user-interface in my opinion.
-I know how to do fast IO-data loading in C#/Java, where-as Game Maker may require the DLL.
-
We discussed changing languages before.  Two years ago.  Forgive me if I lack faith in swapping to another language.  Let's stick with this, and just switch to Open GS when it's done.

Average Wind Seer

Hello! Sorry for bumping a dead thread, but I don't know where else to ask these questions about the editor...

• What does Class Type mean?
  • How do you add new icons? Is there a finite number of slots for icons?
  • Is there a way to include the MaxPP multiplier for Base Damage attacks yet? if so, how do you activate it?
  • I noticed that there's a Class Separation Patch. What does this do? I couldn't find anything about this in threads.
  • Where can you edit the items found in Chests?
  • In the enemy editor, what are the differences between Attack Patterns?
  • For enemy group editor, how is the location of where certain enemy groups spawn decided?
  • What is the purpose of the Artifacts tab in the Items&Shops section?
  • I noticed when opening up a file for TBS, the Party Members section lacks a place to add innate Psynergy. Will this be changed in the future, or is it not possible?

That's all I can think of for now. I'm using Teawater's/Fox's Version 0.0.1 mod of the editor. If there's a newer version, please let me know! Thank you in advanced! :happy:

- Class Type is basically Elemental Priority. - e.g. An elemental level being higher than a different one may result in one class type over the other... (And there are also Item Classes/etc.)
The Class Type chart is posted in one of the threads... in the GS Hacking forum, I think?

- Icons? You might be able to add more, but you may need hex editor experience until a UI editor supports it.

- No? I don't know.... (Could do it with asm hacking, I think.)

- It's a very simple code patch that adds 20 to the class type of anyone in Party 2. (Otherwise, both parties have all the same classes... with the exception of Jenna and Piers base classline. being changed from Garet/Mia...)

- For GS2, there's a table... see Treasure Guide topic.... or just look in my documentation. ; For GS1/GS3, edit Event tables in the map code files.

- There's a topic for that too...  I'll just copy what I have in my doc:
Quote0 - All attacks have an equal 1/8 chance of being used.

1 = Linear climb
Notice the first four abilities have an increased chance, and the last four have a decreased chance.
They all are a difference of 6 (Which I assume is suppose to represent +/- 20%, but ends up being +/- 18.75%)
Except it does look like it could be caps at +2/3rds and x1/3rd.
Attack 0=53/256 (x1.65625 ; reaching for x1.7?)
Attack 1=47/256 (reaching for x1.5?)
Attack 2=41/256 (reaching for x1.3?)
Attack 3=35/256 (reaching for x1.1?)
Attack 4=29/256 (reaching for x0.9?)
Attack 5=23/256 (reaching for x0.7?)
Attack 6=17/256 (reaching for x0.5?)
Attack 7=11/256 (reaching for x0.3?)

2 = ? (Probably quadratic based, but not sure.)
Notice the first two have an increased chance, and the rest has a decreased chance.
Attack 0=113/256
Attack 1=56/256
Attack 2=31/256
Attack 3=20/256
Attack 4=14/256
Attack 5=10/256
Attack 6=7/256
Attack 7=5/256

3 and 4 execute their moves in numerical order. One starts with the first move, while the others starts with a random move.
5 always selects the first ability.
6 always defends.
Anything above 6 is treated as though it is 6.

- My gsmagic program has Encounters table. Basically, when a group is to be picked, you can pick from 1 of 8 listed for whichever encounters entry used. - There's also another table that we've never made a UI for that links them to the map itself.

- When you first open the shop menu, artifacts are added to your artifact list. (But only the first time you access the shop.... as each shop has a flag that turns on to keep more from being added should you enter the same shop multiple times.)
Basically puts a limit of how many you can have.

- Who knows! It should be possible, though.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Average Wind Seer

Quote from: Fox on 22, March, 2019, 04:35:28 PM
- Class Type is basically Elemental Priority. - e.g. An elemental level being higher than a different one may result in one class type over the other... (And there are also Item Classes/etc.)
The Class Type chart is posted in one of the threads... in the GS Hacking forum, I think?
I see. I'll have to look at that, then.

Quote- Icons? You might be able to add more, but you may need hex editor experience until a UI editor supports it.
Darn. Guess I'll just have to be patient then :P

Quote- No? I don't know.... (Could do it with asm hacking, I think.)
Hmm. I saw Rolina mention that hack and was wondering if it'd be implemented. The Intellect Stat mod seems a bit too messy to really tinker around with, at least with a prior version of the editor.

Quote- It's a very simple code patch that adds 20 to the class type of anyone in Party 2. (Otherwise, both parties have all the same classes... with the exception of Jenna and Piers base classline. being changed from Garet/Mia...)
I see. So in other words, I should check the "Party 2" box with that mod turned on if I want to make classes exclusive to Felix's team (e.g. Jenna's Heretic classline in Caledor's GS Reloaded)

Quote- For GS2, there's a table... see Treasure Guide topic.... or just look in my documentation. ; For GS1/GS3, edit Event tables in the map code files.
Okay. I don't know if I'll screw around too much with chests aside from slapping in a 4th Class Changing Item somewhere *glares at random Smoke Bomb in Air's Rock*

Quote- There's a topic for that too...  I'll just copy what I have in my doc:
0 - All attacks have an equal 1/8 chance of being used.

1 = Linear climb
Notice the first four abilities have an increased chance, and the last four have a decreased chance.
They all are a difference of 6 (Which I assume is suppose to represent +/- 20%, but ends up being +/- 18.75%)
Except it does look like it could be caps at +2/3rds and x1/3rd.
Attack 0=53/256 (x1.65625 ; reaching for x1.7?)
Attack 1=47/256 (reaching for x1.5?)
Attack 2=41/256 (reaching for x1.3?)
Attack 3=35/256 (reaching for x1.1?)
Attack 4=29/256 (reaching for x0.9?)
Attack 5=23/256 (reaching for x0.7?)
Attack 6=17/256 (reaching for x0.5?)
Attack 7=11/256 (reaching for x0.3?)

2 = ? (Probably quadratic based, but not sure.)
Notice the first two have an increased chance, and the rest has a decreased chance.
Attack 0=113/256
Attack 1=56/256
Attack 2=31/256
Attack 3=20/256
Attack 4=14/256
Attack 5=10/256
Attack 6=7/256
Attack 7=5/256

3 and 4 execute their moves in numerical order. One starts with the first move, while the others starts with a random move.
5 always selects the first ability.
6 always defends.
Anything above 6 is treated as though it is 6.
Alrighty. That clears up a LOT for that lol

Quote- My gsmagic program has Encounters table. Basically, when a group is to be picked, you can pick from 1 of 8 listed for whichever encounters entry used. - There's also another table that we've never made a UI for that links them to the map itself.
I tried using your gsmagic program, but whenever I try to open it, it starts up a PS2 emulator configuration? Anyway, It seems like that's another thing I'm gonna have to wait on.

Quote- When you first open the shop menu, artifacts are added to your artifact list. (But only the first time you access the shop.... as each shop has a flag that turns on to keep more from being added should you enter the same shop multiple times.)
Basically puts a limit of how many you can have.
Huh. the Artifacts tab in the editor brings up a list under each Artifact where i can add in more items to said Artifact... Not sure what it means though, so I don't think I'll do much there.

Quote- Who knows! It should be possible, though.
I hope so. I wanna give Mia Frost in her Innate Psynergy so I can alter the Frost Jewel to give a different Psynergy. I also kinda wanna revamp a few Psynergy Items to have in-battle use, like Halt inflicting Stun, Cloak acting like Haze, and so on assuming it's possible.

QuoteOkay. I don't know if I'll screw around too much with chests aside from slapping in a 4th Class Changing Item somewhere *glares at random Smoke Bomb in Air's Rock*
Hm. That reminds me.  We need an item called....  DiArrhea Pants
Heheh... I'm making a reference to something I saw on youtube. (It was only used as a fake name.)

A PS2 emulator configuration? That's new to me... mind explaining?

QuoteHuh. the Artifacts tab in the editor brings up a list under each Artifact where i can add in more items to said Artifact... Not sure what it means though, so I don't think I'll do much there.
Oh yeah, I kind of rushed my post... I probably should have explained the rest.
There are only like 300 artifact slots ... Well.. the game has more items than there are artifact slots, so each item must be assigned an artifact slot (should it have one).... (So that the game knows how many of that artifact you have when it looks up the slot.)

Atrius's editor sets it up kind of backwards... but multiple items can use the same slot (even though that's not what the purpose was.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Average Wind Seer

Quote from: Fox on 22, March, 2019, 05:11:54 PMA PS2 emulator configuration? That's new to me... mind explaining?
I'm not entirely sure what's causing that to happen. I just open the file and a PS2 Emulation start up configuration opens up. I don't think I have a PS2 emulator on my currently available PC, to begin with... I'll try again once I get my own laptop (for far more reliable access. I'm open to recommendations on specific brands/models/etc to invest in).

QuoteOh yeah, I kind of rushed my post... I probably should have explained the rest.
There are only like 300 artifact slots ... Well.. the game has more items than there are artifact slots, so each item must be assigned an artifact slot (should it have one).... (So that the game knows how many of that artifact you have when it looks up the slot.)
Ah, that makes sense now. It also explains why the Artifacts Shopping List isn't neatly organized to display all long swords first, followed by all short swords, and so on.

Salanewt

Hey there! I have no idea what the PS2 thing is, but hopefully we can figure it out; do you have any screenshots? It almost sounds like you may have had a PS2 emulator installed on your computer at some point in the past, even if one isn't there now.

As for general TLA Editor stuff, that program is defunct at this point. It isn't getting updated anymore unless someone else picks up development on it; Atrius retired, Teawater is focusing on gsmagic these days, and I have little interest in editor development outside of very specific applications. I don't even know if anyone else is interested either. :(

Artifacts: Multiple items can also share an artifact slot. So, if for example you have the Venus, Mercury, Mars, and Jupiter Star items all using the same slot, selling one of them to a store will allow stores to sell all four in the artifacts section. However, buying one will then remove the rest. Think of it like trading items!

Icons: I will say that there is a tool for it, but you still need to be skilled with hex editing to make effective use of it. We may be able to help you with that if you're able to pop into the Discord server; I find it tricky to help with that sort of thing on a forum.

Average Wind Seer

Hello!
Honestly, the PS2 thing isn't too much of a concern for me, since I plan on doing modding stuff on my own laptop once I get one. Though if it is for you and Teawater, I'll get screenshots as soon as I can.

That's a bit of a shame, especially considering a certain someone keeps nagging at people to use Atrius' editor to view Class, Psynergy, & item information. :um: Though it is understandable that everyone would move on to other tools and projects.

That's pretty nifty! In fact, I think I'll use that to sort of emulate Final Fantasy XII's bazaar system, where selling certain artifacts dropped by enemies or found in chests yields a new and (possibly) better artifact. To be honest, I might use that to circumvent Sunshine's RNG BS altogether.

I'll hop on in the discord once I have my own laptop to really crack down on making my own mod.

Salanewt

Haha, sweet; looking forward to seeing you in there!

Sounds good about the screenshots.

miner49er

so is it possible to create totally new dungeons / overworlds with this editor?