News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Minor graphical issues and improvements

Started by Caledor, 25, April, 2017, 05:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledor

Spotted another menu discrepancy between GS and TLA.

Does anybody know how the light blue effect behind the selected item's name is generated? Is there a function call for it?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

081000A8 = Width of light blue effect

08100024 = Width of the darker blue effect (when clearing the light blue box.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Caledor

Done!

It took me a few minutes to figure out that every line had its own parameters (+ the code used branches to avoid some redundancy) but I did it. Thanks again Fox!

Caledor

I changed the title to make this one a multi-purpose thread where one can report minor graphical issues and or suggest improvements (that maybe someone will fix/implement):

I'll start with a bug I spotted in the english version of TLA:

The text "(A) Item (L)(R) Switch character" in the status menu, psynergy section, appears briefly and vanishes as soon as the rest of the data appears.

And an improvement that i'm implementing right now in Reloaded:

Show how much criticals are increased in the item info panel (rather than the generic "increased criticals" line).

EDIT: The "show criticals bonus value" has been implemented in reloaded. Anyone can do the same by changing
in TBS: 080A4A80 to 4A94 (little endian)
in TLA: 080FBA18 to BA2C (little endian)

Salanewt

Oh good, you figured out the critical/unleash increase stuff! I was going to tell you about the Intellect patch when I originally saw your post but I haven't been able to sign on lately (because I fixed it in there too but couldn't remember exactly how I did that); would you consider a change that adds the counterattack rate modifier a general aesthetic fix?

Right now, I can think of a few other oddities in GS2:
- Certain utility effects aren't aligned perfectly, so they will be off-centre (Magnet and Arrow for example, but also some others);
- Certain battle animations aren't positioned correctly, like Volcano;
- The battle menu (debug portion at least) has issues with displaying enemy or other sprites that are small or double width;
- Clipping issues with the player avatar on the world map (mainly involving trees, which has a simple explanation) and certain tiles in various maps;
- And a couple other things that aren't coming to mind right now.

This is also a personal opinion thing, but I feel like battle animation palettes lean towards red and purple more often than other colours. This is even represented in the large number of elemental palettes, and especially red and purple palettes compared to colours like green or pink. The animation overhaul allows people to customize several of the 101 animations with ease but aside from that current options are limited.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Caledor

The counterstrike rate bonus has amazing potential... i was thinking of making a bonus to ailment infliction rate out of it. Too bad the value of the bonus isn't stored anywhere in the PC data.

To answer your question about it... as things are now i wouldn't consider a fix. Actually i'd be against it, cause the counterstrike rate line in the info panel would be misleading info.

Rolina

Do y'all know of a way to boost critical rate separately from unleash rate?

Salanewt

Counterstrike rate: That's true. I'm planning to turn it into an actual effect in the AI overhaul and the Intellect patch even adds it to the effect listing and makes it partially functional, but so far it isn't a finished one. All it does is write a bonus total to the same place that the Reflux buff is written, but I have plans!

[spoiler=Plans]My plan for that is to change the Reflux/counterstrike buff RAM value and double it with an equipment bonus, with a related change to enemy data to add a counterattack rate that people can customize. The bonus will go up to 100 for player characters and 255 for enemies; 100 = 100% counterattack rate, but higher values will correspond to different buff values which can either be enabled through ability effects or on a case by case basis for specific enemies to differentiate between things like Reflux or other effects.

This will be available as a standalone patch as well as part of the AI overhaul, and with it a functional Reflect buff of some sort.[/spoiler]

Ailment infliction rate bonus: Funny thing, but I made an ailment resistance bonus as part of the Intellect patch; the downside is that you can't use it through the editor but it's probably for the best given my plans. :p

It has been a while since I released that patch, so I can't really say much about the coding particulars but I would take a look at the bonus in the Intellect patch because it's very close to what you were thinking of doing for infliction rate stuff.

Critical rate: Wasn't it always an unleash rate bonus or am I just mistaken? I was under the assumption that the "critical" part was a bit of a misnomer for it and that a critical rate bonus doesn't actually exist. If that's the case then I'll likely include a critical rate bonus of some kind in the AI overhaul!

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

QuoteCritical rate: Wasn't it always an unleash rate bonus or am I just mistaken? I was under the assumption that the "critical" part was a bit of a misnomer for it and that a critical rate bonus doesn't actually exist. If that's the case then I'll likely include a critical rate bonus of some kind in the AI overhaul!
If I recall... I'm pretty sure it exists... one is calculated with the unleash rate, and the other is not... but I may need to look this up again.

(I think it was at a different multiplier too... based on which. ... E.g. like either doubled or halved or something... but I can't remember at the moment.... so looking it up. http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=2448.0)
I really need to get back to that, and document which of those were priority. (Unleash, Crit, Miss)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

I recall unleashes having priority over everything else but I can't remember of criticals or misses came next, unless I'm mistaken.

Rate: Double or halved? I'm very interested in how that works!

Something else that has always bugged me are field object and character shadows, especially for inanimate objects. A distant goal of mine is to make them translucent and to remove inanimate object shadows, although I need to plan this one out more.

QuoteRate: Double or halved? I'm very interested in how that works!
It was the /200 and /100 in the topic.... Sorry if it was bad wording.

When I write out the priority stuff... I'm hoping to do pseudo-code for it... So it is a bit more detailed. (That, and I can double check if I had everything correct the first time. Never hurts to check things multiple times.)

Ah... that code is in a really long function. (Start/execute a turn function.) ... Now I see why I didn't fully document it properly...

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden