News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Translation issues

Started by Xavi, 18, May, 2017, 07:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavi

Hello everyone!

I'm doing a translation of GS1 into catalan and it's almost done. I've been using Golden Sun Translation Toolkit since it's easy to apply and understand.

I'm having some issues that i would like to solve but I don't know how to do it the right way.
I've seen that the game (usa version) doesn't read special characters like à, è, é, ç while in combat, it just ignores them. I've tried using another rom, but the gstoolkit doesn't work with them.
For now the only way I found to make it work was changing the font. I've seen that the symbols (%&$<>) can be readed in combat, so I just changed them with tile molester. The problem now is that the words that are used inside and outside combat (items) have those symbols in their name when they are used outside combat. That makes me think that the game uses 2 fonts, but I couldn't fint the second to modify it.
The other way to solve it is allowing the game to read those special characters in combat, but I have no idea how to do it.

I'm also having problems with the codes that add "a", "an", "that", is there a way to change the words they put?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Hello there.

Sounds cool. Unfortunately, I've never heard of Catalan (If I have, I don't recall it...)....
Using the GS Toolkit is fine. Even after you're finished, using the text compression is still an option, so long as it supports char trees regeneration. (Atrius's Editor doesn't support that, and therefore I do not recommend his text editor for any real text editing...) - I could probably hook it up to my algorithm, make a few minor tweaks, and be good to go... However, that probably would make more sense if there were actual space issues...

Yep! There are at least two fonts! One is italics, the other is not. Both are uncompressed. Although, the italic one is a bit weird, since it's like 14x14, and oddly aligned, I think...

Memory viewer addresses. (Remove 08 prefix for hex editor equivalent.)
0x08032224 = Italic text (Weirdly formatted... As each char starts with  two bytes for the width of the character... and then its pixel data to form a 14x14 tile...) ... I feel like I should link this for some reason: http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=2582.msg43180#msg43180
0x08320FB0 = Non-italic text

@a, an, that : You mean "a", "an", "some", "the", right? Which is uncompressed at 0x08033E28.

Quotewhile in combat, it just ignores them.
I can probably look into that a bit later if needed... Maybe patch the code up a bit.... Probably will look into it soon anyway. :D
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

KyleRunner

You should not use the USA version, but the Italian one.
It supports lots of special characters. I used it in my Portuguse translation.
The "normal" toolkit cannot extract the text, but can reinsert it to the rom just fine. So, if you manage (as I did) to put the text in the exact ordem from the italian rom, it will work.
I don´t know why, but the italian rom is better to translate, because it supports more lines in the dialogues.

Or... you could ask Caledor for his already compatible with the italian rom toolkit .

The good news is that the Lost Age USA version supports a lot of special characters.

Xavi

I've managed to "solve" that issue with the special characters in combat. Modifying both fonts seems to be enough for me, even if it's not the best way to make it work.
Anyway I'll to try to put the text inside an italian rom and see what happens, I hope I won't need to replay the game again.

Caledor

Quote from: Xavi on 19, May, 2017, 09:29:09 AM
Anyway I'll to try to put the text inside an italian rom and see what happens, I hope I won't need to replay the game again.
Saves are compatible if that's what you're worried about. The only thing that is not carried over when you share saves between the ITA and USA versions is the position: you'll go back to the last sanctum visited.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

QuoteThe only thing that is not carried over when you share saves between the ITA and USA versions is the position: you'll go back to the last sanctum visited.
Probably because the Build Date that is saved is different.
The Build Date is a string of numbers in the ROM, but it is converted to a 16 bit, and stored in two places. (Also, the debug mode (if enabled) does "Or" 0x8000 to it, I believe.)
In GS1, the addresses are:
0x02000240 = Must Save before you can see it.
0x020004F8 = There from the beginning...

So it is just GS1 (U) with the special characters inaccessible? Interesting...
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)