News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

GS: Dark Dawn (U) Data List (WIP)

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 01, April, 2012, 05:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kide

Oh, I've just done the same thing right now! With critical strike appearing thrice too!

However, wouldn't the weapon skill meter over there be messed up with that many unleashes?

QuoteI believe none of the offsets and # of unleashes overlapped...
Yeah, they didn't. The thing is, I don't know if I understood you correctly at first when you said that "with the unleashes themselves" thing. I thought you meant that each unleash had it's own rate, instead of the weapon having it. So, if this is true, that would make the Great Sword unleash rate automatically higher than the Long Sword's. Unless there's some sort of normalization.

Rolina

Interesting.  This intrigues me...  I wonder if we could tweak it somehow so that at a certain weapon skill level, certain unleashes override previous ones, kinda like EPA upgrades at class up?  If we could do that as well, imagine the possibilities we could do...

I think the easiest way to expand the gui is to have a multi-page list, kinda like psynergy.  Once it expands past four, press L or R to toggle pages.

Kide

The last 4 bytes in the item data seem to be related to weapon skill level. Maybe it has something to do with a weapon's starting level?

Rolina

So, think we can have a general update on what we've found over the last half decade?  I know there's the link in your signature, but not all of us really understand how much of that is relevant info and how much of that isn't yet understood.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

It would be pretty difficult to go over everything if I'm not keeping track of when I learned about each thing. But let's see here....

@Half decade = Before this year... not much.

However, this year does come with much more research:

I guess I can start with talking about overlay files first:
-Overlay files:
0x0 = General field stuff.
0x1-0x134 -ish... are map code files. (Not sure if that's true for all of those... but usually loaded to 0x021EE000 in (U) version.)- Learned that the ARM code portion seems to set up address locations for events (reminds me of the GBA games.) ... However, events in Dark Dawn are done differently then the GBA games... as they use a Command and Args system. (Well, the GBA games may have a command and args system to a small degree, but I think it was strictly limited to object script, such as movement and stuff. Where-as, for Dark Dawn, you have them to do warps, start battles, adding/removing PCs to your party, etc. - Both command/args systems tend to stick to using 32-bits, which does make it somewhat simple.)
0x14C = Shop code (Including tables for items sold in shops/etc.)
I'm assuming there are other Overlay files (e.g.  some before 0x14C, and up to 0x14F) that may have functionality similar to the Shop, but not Shop related. (A number of them are loaded at the same RAM address, anyway.) Maybe mini-games? I have not checked if this game has mini-games, but I shall...
0x151 = General battle stuff (Includes enemy table, enemy groups, damage formula stuff, etc.)
-The rest of them (Up to 0x16D) are currently unknown... but it wouldn't surprise me if one or more of them were for Ability Animations in battle. (Since those were hard-coded in the GBA games.... )

And ofcourse, the ARM9 boot file seems to have all the general stuff needed in both Field and Battle. It seems? (Party Data, Class Data, Items, Psynergy/Abilities,  Djinn, Summons, etc.) However, it also has the Room Table, and the table that assigns the room's music and the room's name....

---
Oh yes, while I may have spotted some debug and e3 related content... (Just from simply looking at rooms. And I did find the single/double/triple djinn battles as mentioned on the Discord....) ... I still have yet to access any debug menus like Warp or Flag.... No idea if this game has it, but I'm sure hoping so.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)