News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Changing Classes in TLA

Started by VanishMantle, 08, May, 2012, 02:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durza

It was. Instead of the patch we currently have, which completely seperates them, this one would make it so they keep their dual and tri-elemental classes, but the parties have different base classes.
It's not a lie if you don't want to be believed. You're can't be wrong if you don't think you're right.

Kide

Yeah, what Durza said. And you could also separate some of the duals/tris if you gave 'em the same value of the base classes (1 for party 1 and 2 for party 2). And notice that I said 'some', because you can't do it for all of them, unless you're planning to change the class system concept of your hack. In this case it'd be just easier to use the current patch (that's what it serves for after all).

But this thing would be helpful just if you're feeling lazy to redo all classes. If you're making a serious hack, that wouldn't be happening (or shouldn't).

VanishMantle

No worries as i still have to redo the skills of each of the classes so recreating them is no problem just a pain in the butt. i already have reworked the base classes and i am now working on the rest of the classes.

Rolina

The problem with that, of course, occurs if you have a situation like you do in Felix's team in TLA.  If the dual- and tri- elemental classes don't fit their build, it's the same problem all over again with Jenna and Piers - Jenna becomes a fighter with mage equips and PP growth, and Piers is screwed out of his base class.  The point behind the class patch was to allow for complete separation, thus eliminating much of that problem.

Of course, if your hack doesn't have such a problem, you may not even have to bother.  Choose the patch that best fits your needs.

VanishMantle

Quote from: Rolina on 28, June, 2012, 02:25:07 AM
The problem with that, of course, occurs if you have a situation like you do in Felix's team in TLA.  If the dual- and tri- elemental classes don't fit their build, it's the same problem all over again with Jenna and Piers - Jenna becomes a fighter with mage equips and PP growth, and Piers is screwed out of his base class.  The point behind the class patch was to allow for complete separation, thus eliminating much of that problem.

Of course, if your hack doesn't have such a problem, you may not even have to bother.  Choose the patch that best fits your needs.

I actually made gear equipable by all characters minus weapons and certain gear that I felt should be unique. I do have some things I need to rebalance. Namely with the classes in this game.

Rolina

It's more than just gear - it's stat growths as well.  Piers fits the role of a warrior better, while Jenna's more of a mage.  Build isn't just about weapons and armor, after all.  It's the style of fighting most natural to that character.

Piers is way out of place in a mage build.  It doesn't allow him to take advantage of his higher attack growth, and punishes his lower PP growth.  That's why I'm just giving you the heads up to keep that in mind.

VanishMantle

Quote from: Rolina on 29, June, 2012, 11:56:01 PM
It's more than just gear - it's stat growths as well.  Piers fits the role of a warrior better, while Jenna's more of a mage.  Build isn't just about weapons and armor, after all.  It's the style of fighting most natural to that character.

Piers is way out of place in a mage build.  It doesn't allow him to take advantage of his higher attack growth, and punishes his lower PP growth.  That's why I'm just giving you the heads up to keep that in mind.

Oh, yeah that makes sense. Either way in both my GS1 mod Fallen Star and my TLA mod Risen Star I accounted for things like that. Each character can be used in what ever way the player wants. A lot of the armor has buffs to it like adding more attack or giving more PP and regenerating PP to name a few. So it is possible for the player in my mod to make Piers more of a mage and Jenna more of a melee attacker.

I wanted people to have freedom with how to use each character rather than sticking to a select few.

Thanks for the advice and tips though.