News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Battle character set of Alex

Started by DarkShuyin, 14, June, 2012, 06:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

That sprite? Don't place it in the spritesheet, but instead. open that very sprite you have there in a paint document, and change the dimensions to 64x64 . SAVE and then import it into the editor. After you find that it works, then go on with the additional touches.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

DarkShuyin

Quote from: Teawater on 17, June, 2012, 09:32:35 PM
That sprite? Don't place it in the spritesheet, but instead. open that very sprite you have there in a paint document, and change the dimensions to 64x64 . SAVE and then import it into the editor. After you find that it works, then go on with the additional touches.

Got it.

Where should I add the 64x64? at Pixel size right? in Inches or CM?
By saying I suck at it, I mean I suck at it >.>

Pixel size, obviously. Most of the time when someone gives a measurement for images, it is usually in pixels.

Edit:  Perhaps I should make an image tutorial? Hm?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

DarkShuyin

Quote from: Teawater on 17, June, 2012, 11:08:41 PM
Pixel size, obviously. Most of the time when someone gives a measurement for images, it is usually in pixels.

Edit:  Perhaps I should make an image tutorial? Hm?

Perhaps you should >.> ...

Alright. Do you have this much of it? This is the basic idea. If you can't get this, then I'm stumped.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

DarkShuyin

Quote from: Teawater on 18, June, 2012, 01:58:13 AM
Alright. Do you have this much of it? This is the basic idea. If you can't get this, then I'm stumped.

Well followed it all, and they got imported, only they wont adapt. it's basicly piers, but with blinking animations. I'll have to try again on my other PC, because on the XP one (the one I'm at now) the editor only gives me errors for everything I click >.< can't see the tabs and menu's. so I have to do everything by instinct now, and that's not working all that great.

I'll save it for another day! Thanks anyway ^^

Yes. There are in fact some bug in 0.5 that even I experience which weren't in 0.4. (Ex: Map Viewer, labels in NPC interphase don't show up.) So I'd probably recommend for Atrius to bring out a fix.

@blinking animations. = I assume you only replaced one image?

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

DarkShuyin

Quote from: Teawater on 18, June, 2012, 03:03:58 AM
Yes. There are in fact some bug in 0.5 that even I experience which weren't in 0.4. (Ex: Map Viewer, labels in NPC interphase don't show up.) So I'd probably recommend for Atrius to bring out a fix.

@blinking animations. = I assume you only replaced one image?

Yeah, as a test.
the hard part is, Piers has alot of movements.
and my Alex ones are limited. I'll have to see how that will work out.

Yeah. I agree Alex is quite limited. We are going to need some talented spriters. I don't do spriting, so I'm not even sure how to make them look good. You are dealing with 64x64 images, so that makes things sound easier. (Though, it isn't really.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

DarkShuyin

Quote from: Teawater on 18, June, 2012, 03:25:55 AM
Yeah. I agree Alex is quite limited. We are going to need some talented spriters. I don't do spriting, so I'm not even sure how to make them look good. You are dealing with 64x64 images, so that makes things sound easier. (Though, it isn't really.)

So I guess, until a talented spriter wants to do the whole thing.
this project will be on hiatus haha.

RagnarokEmissary

Those sprites are awesome. Can't wait to see a playable Alex. I'd help finish his spritesheet, but I can't sprite ^-^

DarkShuyin

Quote from: RagnarokEmissary on 18, June, 2012, 04:05:16 PM
Those sprites are awesome. Can't wait to see a playable Alex. I'd help finish his spritesheet, but I can't sprite ^-^

I wonder who can sprite around here..

And i wonder if it's possible to add a fourth character, before Piers joins up.
if that is possible than Alex can be recruited until I meet up with piers

Kioll

Given the sprites available now, and the fact that we know it's possible to disable the battlefield's spin effect, it is technically possible with little editing and spriting to actually make this sheet work.  That said, giving Alex weapons with this sprite set would be... harder.  I can do some pixel editing, but sprite creation is not something I've tried and succeeded at before.  It would be interesting to give it a shot with this, though...  And actually, Teawater, bigger images are slightly easier to work with since you have more room to make the various shapes, shading, etc.  I can take a look and see what I can do with this, if you guys want me to try.
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

DarkShuyin

Quote from: Kioll on 19, June, 2012, 03:52:14 PM
Given the sprites available now, and the fact that we know it's possible to disable the battlefield's spin effect, it is technically possible with little editing and spriting to actually make this sheet work.  That said, giving Alex weapons with this sprite set would be... harder.  I can do some pixel editing, but sprite creation is not something I've tried and succeeded at before.  It would be interesting to give it a shot with this, though...  And actually, Teawater, bigger images are slightly easier to work with since you have more room to make the various shapes, shading, etc.  I can take a look and see what I can do with this, if you guys want me to try.

YES, yes please do. I didn't know there was a way to disable the battlefield spin to begin with.
next to that I contacted the guy who gave me all the Alex stuff, if it excists. he has it.

Kioll

Well, so far, either things come out a bit blocky or they look like they're pastelled.  I'm going for the first.  I can do pretty much everything for the rear view, I can't help with the front view at the moment, though.  That said, I've figured out the weapon thing, too.  But I think Alex's casting animation will probably double for his attack animation.
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

DarkShuyin

Just throwing in a random question here:

Is it possible, at the beginning of TLA (When you begin at the Idjima)
to make it so that a fourth party member can be active? that way Alex could be playable until Piers comes along.

Oh sure, it is very well possible with an extreme amount of hex editor hacking. Right Atrius? Ofcourse, if you want Piers to have the same stats Alex has when you switch the party members, that might save some of the hassle for trying to make a ninth slot. (Otherwise, who would train Alex with Apples, Power Breads, Hard Nuts/etc.?)

I'm not sure what the list of things you need to edit are.. but I guess we can think of which ones would be absolutely necessary in the process.

Edit:

My opinion: Why not just get rid of Piers altogether? (You can still change the dialogue to say that Piers is way too busy to join the party. And/or, he could be another Kraden, not fighting.) This, however, complicates the Mt. Aleph event. Unless maybe Alex had a twin. Heh.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Aile~♥

The best thing I can think of would be a class-changing item and something like the machete to cause a sprite swap. That way, when Alex leaves your party and Piers joins, what really happens is that he suddenly gets a bunch of Djinn, gains several levels, and loses the class-changing item and the weapon that causes the sprite change. Of course, this would also take quite a bit of hex editor work, but not as much.

Of course, this becomes a problem when you start a new game+ and you have to store Piers's level somewhere so that he doesn't reset back to level 18 when everyone else is level 40+.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Kioll

Well, if I can get this sprite set running, I plan on making a mod that replaces Piers with Alex.  When you run into Piers, he'll basically give you the finger and, well, you get Alex sometime during Kibombo.  That's my idea at the moment, anyways.

Edit:  I have finished the rear view sprites and I have provided a test patch of TLA in which Alex replaces Piers.  Read the download page for details.  I suggest you use the editor to view them unless you want glitchy graphics switching between Alex and Piers.  http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=42

DarkShuyin