News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Storybook Flags Guide

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 19, June, 2012, 02:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

This topic is all about how to know what is what in the flags. Note that GS1 and GS2 seem to be quite similar. (Remember that you can access this menu with 03001238:01 and B+Select in GS2.)

Based off GS2... I know...

000 - 1FF = General Data that includes practically everything you could use anywhere in the game. Character/Djinn flags, and what not.
000 - 007 = Player Characters
010 - 01C = Summons (Only the tablet ones from Zagan to Iris.)
01E = Toggles hard mode. 0 is default.
020 = GS1:  If on:  Young Isaac / Young Garet
021 = GS1:  If on:  Young Isaac wears Machete; Adult Isaac is transparent.
022 = Toggles overworld music. 0 for default, 1 for joined party music.
02E = Hard mode
030 - 07F = Djinn
080-0DF = Cleared when switching rooms.
(100-15F = Unknowns?)
107 = Disables menus (A/Select, and Start button (A.k.a. Pause menu) screens. You can still access the debug menus, though. Also disables psynergy shortcuts.
110-113 = Elemental Regeneration: Adds 4 PP in battle at the end of a round. Venus, Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, respectively. ; Cleared when you switch areas.
11B = Music never changes when you switch rooms.
11C
123 = Set if current room is town. Related to the Retreat ability, but not what disables Retreat. (Cleared on room change, but set if byte x3 is 2 for a room entry at 080F17A8. "02" disables Retreat.)
12F = Seems to be set directly after Area flags are cleared. (x300-3FF); but is soon after unset. (Not sure when, yet.) ASM: 080C9C92
144 = Disables Retreat.
(160 - 17F = There are some debug mode flags in here, not sure what all is here yet.)
160 = Disable random battles. (Does not require debug mode to be enabled.)
163 = *Requires Debug mode, I think* Disables battle encounters, warps, etc. (You cannot climb up vines, move pillars, etc.) You get free-movement on the world map (Navigating over mountains and oceans.)
167 = Boosts Encounters? (Set if one of the party members has an item that boosts encounters.)
16A = Should be battle related.
16B = Should be battle related.
16C = Should be battle related. - Cleared when switching rooms. (0=Battles can have up to 6 enemies? ; 1=Up to 3 enemies?)
16D = *Requires Debug mode, I think* In battle, during the attack sequence, you can press R to destroy all the enemies. Do this with Select pressed and it'll destroy your party.
16E = On battle encounter do djinni tutorial.
172 = A line appears between Piers and the other three on the Status screen.
173 = Battle Arena (For stepping in the circle & clearing enemy flags for enemies that don't appear in the arena)
174 = Should be battle related. (Enemy Groups related: 0=Get average levels for all once defeated enemies Returns NEG 2 if any enemy in battle was never defeated; 1=Get average levels for all enemies in battle.)
175 = Alternate music during the Echo djinn tutorial. (Set when you hold UP after leaving Daila.)
176 = On ship during World Map. (Flag used in music table.)- Sets/clears on room change. (Note: 020004B6 is read.)
17C = "Cannot save here" when trying to save.
17D = "This is no place for that!" when trying to save. (Only if flag 17C is off.)
17E = "The Pause Menu is not available now." (Cleared when switching rooms.)
17F = GS1: Isaac can run faster. (Hold B.)
180 - 1FF = Area flags (Flags are set when you visit the entrance room of an area.) I'm guessing there are unused flags mixed up in this bunch. This is used for the World Map Screen. (R button on World Map.) Bank: 080F1140

200 - 2FF = Room-based flag bank. These are reset back to 0 when you switch between rooms.
300 - 3FF = Area-based flag bank. These are reset back to 0 when you switch between areas.
400 - 41F = Shop flags. Each flag is for each shop, and they are set when you visit them the first time. The order of these flags match the Shop list in the editor.
420 - 5FF = Probably unused?
600 - 782? = Enemy flags. These are set on first-kill of an enemy. Each enemy has a flag. (?) I will need to look into this...
783? - 7FF = Probably unused?
800 - ??? = Story flags. (Cutscenes/etc.) Not sure where this ends, but I know the A80 section has story flags for Anemos Inner Sanctum.
E00 - E06? = Chests (Probably the extended section of the original F** section.)
E00 = Orihalcon (282:2)
E01 = Valkyrie Mail (284:7)
E02 = Sol Blade (285:1)
E03 = Psy Crystal (294:14)
E04 =
E05 = Dark Matter (306:2)
E06 =
E41 = Unknown
E50 - E5F = World Map Equipment Or Hidden Items?
E5B = Rusty Axe (Captain's Axe) SE of Lemuria
E5C = Rusty Mace (Hagebone Mace) NE of Izumo
E5D = Rusty Sword (Pirate's Sabre) E of Tundaria Tower
E5E = Rusty Staff (Goblin's Rod) W of Kalt Island by waterfall.
E5F = Rusty Sword (Soul Brand) Western seas; surrounded by rocks.  Ship w/ wings required.
E70 - E78 = Mimics
F00 - FFF = Treasure flags.

Okay, this is just the basics for now. Did I miss anything important?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)