News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Jamie Made Another Pointless Hack Thingy!

Started by Aile~♥, 01, September, 2012, 12:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aile~♥

This one somewhat inspired by Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days, along with the Tales Series. As with 358/2 Days, inventory management is a big part of strategy.

Again, I haven't edited text much at all, yet.

I have videos of the duel against Briggs. And when I say "duel", I literally do mean duel. It's a one-on-one fight. Likely to throw the player for a loop if they're not used to single-character strategy.

Briggs VS. Jenna:

Briggs VS. Sheba:

In the video, Sheba has two Atk Plus slots equipped, each multiplying her attack by 1.2x, a Def Plus slot equipped for 1.2x Defence, and an HP Plus slot equipped for 1.2x max HP. Additionally, she has eight Critical Plus slots equipped, giving her a 40% unleash rate. This is why her regular attacks do so much damage, and why Briggs is totally failing to deal any significant amount of damage in return.

Briggs VS. Felix:

The hardest fight for me was Felix, as I'd had him set up as a mage with a focus on area attacks. I ended up relying on Overlimit: Defence quite a bit, and Helm Splitter was my main attacking move, even though it cannot cause flinching like regular attacks can.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

You have to be careful with duels, especially in this type of game.  Duels need to be done with characters that could work wiith them, likely your squire of the group.  This is mainly because, well, combat is built around team-play.  You'd need a character/build that can handle the requirements of duels.  This was seen in Colosso with Isaac, especially if you were doing a base class run.  While the difficulty may not have been ideal, that's probably how duels should be approached.  Rather than nuking all but one character, actually single that character out... and most imporantly, it's probably a good idea to give them a chance to strategize ahead of time.

For those of you who've played FF7, remember the part when you had Cloud fight Rufus, while the others tried to flee?  Remember how it gave you a chance to change the inventory around before starting each fight?  Something like that is a good idea.  You don't want to be unfair to the player.  If you're going to be mean, at least be honest about it.  It's far more satisfying to watch the player suffer because of their own inability rather than because you managed to ambush them with an unexpected scenerio.

And yes, I'm aware you can't do this right now with the limited ability of the editor.  I'm just saying to keep it in mind for your final products.

Aile~♥

Which is precisely why I wouldn't have tried this stunt in any other hack. But since the playstyles of the characters in this mod are pretty much entirely up to the player, I was willing to risk it. Also, keep in mind that at this point, every character — bar one — is guaranteed to have a healing ability if the player has been collecting every available Overlimit.

Rolina

Well, the reason I said what I did is because you had to use a roundabout way of getting the duel started - by having the other two characters auto-killed.  It's better to have a situation forced by story rather than something cheap like that.  As such, the suggestions I had were to make sure that the character that gets singled out is not only capable of doing it well (good class selection), but is also given the opportunty to prepare for it.

It's stupidly easy to forget about it simply because you're the one making it - you know what's coming, and really understand your system.

Aile~♥

I'll admit that it's a rather poor moment of trial-and-error gameplay, but most people save before boss battles anyway. And I'll also note that Briggs drops more than enough coin to revive the downed characters. Besides, a lot of other games (Mega Man ZX, just about anything Sonic the Hedgehog) can get away with such trial-and-error stuff with no repercussions from the adoring fanbase.

I know that for future reference, I shouldn't do that in other hacks that have more forcibly-defined party roles, however. In fact, I wouldn't have done it if I didn't figure that A: my entire player base has played GS:TLA before, and so knows to save before the boss; and B: the party is essentially a bunch of blank slates for the player to build from the ground up.

Rolina

What are you talking about?  ZX is full of flaws, and there's been many discussions as to how to fix them - in particular, the general uselessness of most of the forms.  And the Sonic Fanbase is... well, split between the people who don't think Sonic Team can do anything right anymore, and the rest who happen to be part of the Furry Fandom and aren't there for the gameplay.  Both of those are bad examples.

Aile~♥

Really? There was some discussion about Sonic Colours and how the series had finally hit its proper gameplay style or whatever.

But yeah, they're bad examples. So whatever.

zman9000

apparently sonic colors did great. but i agree with role on this one... unless the idea is to have them downed as part of the story and then possibly able to revive during or after battle. other wise i'm with role.

However this gave me an idea for a hack... sadly it would require a little of Sala's help with some coding stuff... abut he left so it might not be possible.
meh i'll post a topic about it in a bit. maybe Sala will come back after his vacation...
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx