News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Treasure Guide

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 20, June, 2012, 08:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

You know how there are treasure chests and items that can be found in Golden Sun as you adventure? Well, I have found the database that refers to them. Apparently, these are not displayed or editable in the GS Editor.

This database is located at: 080F2204 (In GS2.), and ends at 080F322C. (FFFF)

4005 = 4*** might be used to indicate this is a map number. ; 005 is Venus Lighthouse.
FFFF = Flag index (Flag must be unset to use treasure list under this header.)

Next starts this map's list of treasure.
0080 = The 8 means a treasure chest should appear. (Otherwise you'll just have your item in a jar or something.
[spoiler=List]This numbers tells which dialogue to display starting from line 3525 in the text editor.
0000 = Nothing.
0001 = "Felix checked the chest..."
0002 = "Felix checked the jar..."
0003 = "Felix checked the barrel..."
0004 = "Felix checked the wall..."
0005 = "Felix checked on the ground..."
0006 = "Felix examined the rock..."
0007 = "Felix peered into the hole..."
0008 = "Felix examined the grave..."
0009 = "Felix checked the tree..."
000A = "Felix searched the underbrush..."
000B = "Felix checked the door..."
000C = "Felix looked in the chimney..."
000D = "Felix checked the wooden box..."
000E = "Felix checked the bed..."
000F = "Felix searched the bookcase..."
0010 = "Felix inspected the stone coffin..."
0011 = "Felix checked the fireplace..."
There are more, but I don't feel like listing the rest of them right now.

0080 = Treasure chest
0081 = Mimic
0082 = Psynergy Stone
0083 = Visible Item
0084 = Summon Tablet
0085 = Item in pond[/spoiler]

0000 = Location index.
0F00 = For this to be avaible, this flag must be off in the flags. When the item is retrieved, the flag is set.  If 1F00, then the item is always available only when the flag is set. (The flag is never unset.) It doesn't seem like you can use 1*** when you have a flag value in the header.
00B4 = The actual item you'll get. 8*** for coins. (Or which mimic you fight,/ ignored of Psynergy stone/summon if tablet.)

4008 = More item entries could go here, but since we have 4***, this is for another map.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

Hey, nice list! I'm assuming that item coordinates are done through a map's coding itself, right?

I guess I can play around with this for a bit, so we can figure out what else we can find.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

I'm still looking into that. The coords list is somehow loaded to 0202E008. (RAM) For Daila  I find : 01 0177 0087 02 0088 01E8 64 01E8 0168 FF

I know all three of them are coords for the three treasures. If you plan on changing these in-game, do it while you are switching between rooms during a black screen.

The 64 one in the treasure list is 0083 0064 0F5E 00BA; I'm having trouble figuring out how that is is not a "Visible item" and the fact that you have to use Scoop to get it. Edit again: If you change the 83 to 80 or 81 you can "Scoop" the chest/mimic. So it is assumed there is another area that indentifies scoop items.
EDIT AGAIN!: The map code (02008000) has it scripted to make them Scoopable items. EXAMPLE: 02008B28 in Daila. ; R0 = Since the item list starts at x40, item x42 is made a scoopable, here. (List at 0203011C.) R1 = (Boolean.) This makes the item half visible so you can easily tell it is buried without Reveal. You still need to use Scoop.

Edit again: The coordinates stored at 0202E008 are compressed in the ROM. One address I found was at approximately 08c9c404.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Atrius (He/Him)

QuoteEdit again: The coordinates stored at 0202E008 are compressed in the ROM. One address I found was at approximately 08c9c404.

That makes it easy.  All map data contains header information, and 7 compressed files, that would make the treasure coordinates one of the 7 files.

1) Tile table (Arranges the 8x8 tiles in the tileset into 16x16 tiles, and applies palettes to them)
2) Heightmap tile table (Defines the 16x16 tiles that will be used in the heightmap)
3) Tile data for the map
4) Heightmap data for the map
5) Tile animation data (Stuff like water)
6) Tile layer visual effects (Sun rays in Madra)
7) Treasure locations, entrances & ???
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Quote7) Treasure locations, entrances & ???
After a bit of testing, map boundaries are also located in this file.

BYTE = X1 ; (If FF, end of list.)
BYTE = Y1
BYTE = X2
BYTE = Y2

(Obviously, the coords work in multiples of 16 pixels, I think.)

There seems to be one final other unknown. But it is 99% of the time FFFF. (I haven't seen where it wasn't FFFF, yet.)

This is the order of everything in that file.

-Treasure locations
-Entrances
-Unknown Storybook Flag. (Usually FFFF.) The code says that when not FFFF, 6 bytes an entry. Whatever it is, it seems to use the tile data. (0x02010000) Note to self: 0802B6B4
-Map boundaries

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Rolina

This is somewhat only tangentially related, but is it possible to change the color of the chests on the world map and still have them behave properly?  I imagine the palette argument would be near the flag call for the item inside...

Quote from: Rolina on 10, July, 2012, 08:13:32 AM
This is somewhat only tangentially related, but is it possible to change the color of the chests on the world map and still have them behave properly?  I imagine the palette argument would be near the flag call for the item inside...

I'm not sure.

I don't remember any treasure chests on the World Map itself, but as for all the overworld maps, they are usually red.

The chest is sprite 487 in the Sprite Editor. In game, these seem to be scaled down slightly in size. (On VBA, if you go to Tools=>Tile Viewer; Click on 0x6010000, and view in 256 colors, you should see the chest sprite, and if you compared this one to the one in game, you'll know what I mean by scaled down.)

It may be possible to get other colors, but if you want like say a red chest and a blue chest displaying at the same time in one map, I have a feeling you might would need to load the sprite twice using both colors. (Due to 256 colors.)

Anyway, green chests seem to be underwater on the Lemurian Ship (Ex: 41:11), and blue chests seem to be in the Trial Roads.

It doesn't seem either chests (of green or blue) are listed in the data mentioned in the first post...?  I should probably look further into this. If you look at that Lemuirna room in the editor, you'll notice two similar rooms, one with water, and one without. The one without water seems to have treasure data somehow, but the one with it, doesn't. I'm not sure if they share the same chest or not (Atleast with the idea that you could change y coordinates. I doubt that they'd do this, though.), or if the green chest is something else?

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Salanewt

Is there a possibility that the palette is being swapped in the code? I have noticed a few other instances of this happening, like at the Game Corner and in the Great Gabomba.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

I know there's red and blue chests - blue ones were in the trials in the Shaman's Village.  There's also a green color.  By allowing us to, say, match color to the area, we can do other fun things - like matching colors with mimics.  It allows for fun variety.

Quote from: Salanewt on 11, July, 2012, 05:23:56 PM
Is there a possibility that the palette is being swapped in the code? I have noticed a few other instances of this happening, like at the Game Corner and in the Great Gabomba.
Most likely... I have not looked into it yet. But what I see in Atrius's Sprite Editor is that there might be a palette index.(?)  Edit: The Sprite palette in the 05000000 section doesn't seem to change.. so..

Quote from: Rolina on 11, July, 2012, 08:54:10 PM
I know there's red and blue chests - blue ones were in the trials in the Shaman's Village.  There's also a green color.  By allowing us to, say, match color to the area, we can do other fun things - like matching colors with mimics.  It allows for fun variety.
Yes, I did mention blue and green. (Green for treasure chests underwater. Like at the Lemurian Ship.) ; I guess you missed my post. But yes, that would seem fun.

Ofcourse, the palette section is at 0x05000000... I'm sure one could make an assembly hack to edit the palette in any way they choose. Edit: You might have to be careful, though... for the sake of other sprites, but I'm not entirely sure.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Atrius (He/Him)

It would be unwise to directly edit the palette unless you're going for a full-screen color effect since all sprites share the same one.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Yeah, I just now thought about that. ... I guess I edited my post too late, but thank you for the confirmation!

QuoteIt would be unwise to directly edit the palette unless you're going for a full-screen color effect since all sprites share the same one.
Ofcourse, if you had a room with just Felix and a treasure chest... then you might can consider picking the colors that Felix doesn't use.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Rolina

But then how is it done in the Shaman Road trials?  Those are clearly Blue chests, and I see no similar palette effects for anything else... :/

I think they just grab different colors from the same 256 color palette. I'm not sure how they decide on which colors at the moment, though.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Rolina

Well, that's the kind of effect I'd want to have...  I hope you can figure out how to do it.

Atrius (He/Him)

The sprite code in the game already allows for palette swaps as seen with many enemies, the same effect is available for sprites on the over world.  These palette swaps are just filters applied to the sprite data when it's loaded so it uses different colors in the same palette.

Looks like for the treasure chests filters 3 & 4 both turn them blue.  My guess would be that there's an ASM script/command somewhere in the maps code that does it.

Rolina

...That's what I was referring to, though!  What data value do you use to trigger that?