News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Password Generator

Started by Rolina, 22, June, 2012, 04:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

I'm going to be working on a sorted item template soon.  Of course, for something like that to be feasible, you'll need to have a Password Generator that lets you select things by the item number.  Since I imagine this will be a problem for any hack which plans to both use the password data, as well as change the item layout.  I suppose discussion on who to turn to to create such a thing, and how to go about it would need to start.  Here's a topic for it.

Misery

You mean a password generator for transfer data from the first game, right? I think Paulygon's password generator and a list at hand with the old and new item names would suffice, as it seems to have items listed in the correct order. If you think it would still be needed for some reason, the easiest way would probably be to ask the author of that password generator if he can make a customized version of it.

I guess it goes without saying that you can't feasibly make an item index change into another via the passwords. For the purpose of keeping items consistent, just apply the same template to the first game.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Hmm... This gives me an interesting idea for a code modification.

Anyway, if you did change the order of the items, you can still create a reference table in the data with the new item indexes listed. (And modify the code to look in this table to get the new index.) I imagine this would be doable. The interesting idea I had was that having this, we would be able to like say.. replace all items with an herb except for a certain group of items we would want to keep.

What I'm interested in doing is getting GS2 to give you a password at the end, so that you can use that password on another modded GS2 ROM. Hm?

I guess I'm going to have to add research on the password generator to my list of things to do.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Misery

Quote from: Teawater on 22, June, 2012, 07:06:46 AM
Anyway, if you did change the order of the items, you can still create a reference table in the data with the new item indexes listed. (And modify the code to look in this table to get the new index.)
That certainly sounds possible. I meant via the password generating program though, not by changing the way the password is interpreted. I'm not sure if that's what she wants to do in either case. But do carry on with your password research!

Rolina

No such luck on the password generator.  I once tried to use it to nab the dummied out accessories for collection's sake, but alas, it doesn't have the full range (because at the time, it just wasn't needed).

I figure that anyone who's savvy enough with programming could look at what he did, produce something similar, and then perhaps create a plug in system in instructions for hack authors so that they could post something like a txt file with their hack.  The player loads the txt file into the password editor, it reads the text data along with the numerical data, and allows for a better user interface.

Alternatively, it could load the rom, but I'd prefer the txt file, simply because the author can choose what the prequel items would have been, and just leave the rest blank.  Prevents people from giving everyone uber items, which the author may want to avoid.  Said password generator wouldn't even display items that aren't on the txt file, thus preventing dummy and TLA-only items from showing up.

Atrius (He/Him)

On the topic of making a password transfer from one TLA hack to another,  why not transfer save game files instead?  TLA already supports "cleared game" data, and starting a new game using it via easy mode, it shouldn't require major ASM hacking.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

Quote from: Role on 22, June, 2012, 05:27:46 PM
No such luck on the password generator.  I once tried to use it to nab the dummied out accessories for collection's sake, but alas, it doesn't have the full range (because at the time, it just wasn't needed).

I figure that anyone who's savvy enough with programming could look at what he did, produce something similar, and then perhaps create a plug in system in instructions for hack authors so that they could post something like a txt file with their hack.  The player loads the txt file into the password editor, it reads the text data along with the numerical data, and allows for a better user interface.

Alternatively, it could load the rom, but I'd prefer the txt file, simply because the author can choose what the prequel items would have been, and just leave the rest blank.  Prevents people from giving everyone uber items, which the author may want to avoid.  Said password generator wouldn't even display items that aren't on the txt file, thus preventing dummy and TLA-only items from showing up.

It's about the experience the author wants to provide, atrius.