News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Do not SUPPORT GS1 English HACKed ROM

Started by cai_miao, 08, August, 2012, 02:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cai_miao

We decrypted the text and imported GB2312 CharSet, NO MORE HACKING.

But, we got a error"incompatible". I want to send you ROM to resolve the problem but can't, I think some1 need to leave me an Email.

By the way, it's not a complete hack(small font, battle font and character name font).

Rolina

...What?  I'm sorry, I can't seem to understand the problem... did you get a corrupted or modified rom or something?

Crystal Sonata

Sounds like a modified ROM, but the editor saw it as incompatible and rejected it?

再说一遍,在中国
Anything I post here is solely my opinion, and is not proven fact, unless I specify otherwise.

If I say anything that offends you, grow a set.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

QuoteWe decrypted the text and imported GB2312 CharSet, NO MORE HACKING.
Huh? Edit: I should probably google "GB2312 CharSet"... Maybe a little later.

QuoteBut, we got a error"incompatible". I want to send you ROM to resolve the problem but can't, I think some1 need to leave me an Email.
Sounds like you want to email someone your ROM for help, since it is obviously against the rules to post them on this website.  Edit:  Though, to be honest, why not just make a patch and post the patch here?

QuoteBy the way, it's not a complete hack(small font, battle font and character name font).
A font hack?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

cai_miao

OK, OK.

The ROM is 16MB Expansion, and I give u the Code Page of the text of the game.
Text was decrypted, and support clear memory saving.
Original Text(Encryption) was deleted,New Text Offset of the start is at 0x80A790
Imported font, and support GB2312 Charset.
Quoterom扩容到16MB,内附码表
文本已解密,并且支持明文存储
原始文本废弃,新文本地址在0x80A790
添加了剧情字库,支持GB2312字符集

Just like this:
CrystalTile2:

Effect:

QuoteSomewhere was not supported:

Aile~♥

I think what they're trying to say is that they decrypted and edited the text, importing a Chinese charset in the process, and now the ROM doesn't work with the Editor. Which makes sense, considering the fact that this would probably change the locations of rather a lot of data in the ROM.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

cai_miao

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 08, August, 2012, 09:10:31 PM
I think what they're trying to say is that they decrypted and edited the text, importing a Chinese charset in the process, and now the ROM doesn't work with the Editor. Which makes sense, considering the fact that this would probably change the locations of rather a lot of data in the ROM.

Modifyed the post.

Salanewt

Say, would it be possible to use a program like LIPS to patch your ROM file and upload the changes here? It would probably be a bit easier for us to assist you if we can take a look at the changes ourselves.

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least two reasons as to why it wouldn't be compatible with the editor. The first would be an issue with the game's data, where the editor would either be unable to locate the new data or be unable to read it. The second would involve the editor not being able to recognize the game, which I would think is less likely than the first but still possible. Have you changed the ROM's header in any way?
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

cai_miao

Quote from: Salanewt on 08, August, 2012, 09:34:46 PM
Say, would it be possible to use a program like LIPS to patch your ROM file and upload the changes here? It would probably be a bit easier for us to assist you if we can take a look at the changes ourselves.

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least two reasons as to why it wouldn't be compatible with the editor. The first would be an issue with the game's data, where the editor would either be unable to locate the new data or be unable to read it. The second would involve the editor not being able to recognize the game, which I would think is less likely than the first but still possible. Have you changed the ROM's header in any way?

Ehh, I was did, but just "OugonTaiyo_AAGSJ01",

Fixed, but big problem:

Rolina

...Yeah, I'm lost.  Atrius would likely be the best person for this... or maybe someone who understands your native language.

cai_miao

Salanewt

There we go, it looks like it has mostly been fixed now? As for the problem with reading the text, something tells me that the editor is unable to display your Chinese characters because it doesn't have the capability of doing so. If I recall, the game's text is normally compressed, right? The editor likely tries to interpret that in the games' default fonts. On top of that, it looks like you decompressed the game's font somehow. Atrius will need to say something for sure, but I don't think the editor supports decompressed text like a hex editor does.

The best way to check might be to open an unmodified copy of the game, find a line, compare that line with the same one in your hack, and then compare the editor's line with the in-game one. If they aren't the same, then the problem is probably one of the two that I listed above.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

cai_miao

Quote from: Salanewt on 08, August, 2012, 11:01:51 PM
There we go, it looks like it has mostly been fixed now? As for the problem with reading the text, something tells me that the editor is unable to display your Chinese characters because it doesn't have the capability of doing so. If I recall, the game's text is normally compressed, right? The editor likely tries to interpret that in the games' default fonts. On top of that, it looks like you decompressed the game's font somehow. Atrius will need to say something for sure, but I don't think the editor supports decompressed text like a hex editor does.

The best way to check might be to open an unmodified copy of the game, find a line, compare that line with the same one in your hack, and then compare the editor's line with the in-game one. If they aren't the same, then the problem is probably one of the two that I listed above.

Hey,hey,wait.
This rom is just hacked, no edit with the text.
By the way, GoldenSun 2 Chinese Ver loads Chinese characters perfectly.
Also it can load decompressed text.

Rolina

...Then why are you not just using the Chinese version?

cai_miao

Quote from: Rolina on 08, August, 2012, 11:16:28 PM
...Then why are you not just using the Chinese version?

Because GS1 Chinese Ver was hacked with Japanese Ver. We should use English Ver to translate it again to have a good compatibility.

Rolina

...I'm afraid I don't follow that logic. Would it not be more prudent to use the JP version, which already uses/supports chinese characters?

Atrius (He/Him)

There is no official Chinese version, the editor was specifically modified to be compatible with the the Chinese hack of Golden Sun 2, except for text editing.

The editor can display any characters stored in the ROM in a compatible format, it just needs to be able to recognize that the ROM's language requires an extended character set (greater than 255 possible characters) so that it uses the correct text encoding, and drawing algorithms.  Unfortunately text editing is incompatible with extended character sets.

Typically the editor also assumes the text is compressed since it will be in all official versions, but can be made to check and compensate for uncompressed text in special cases.  Though, again, text editing will be incompatible.

Basically, I had to make the editor able to detect a ROM was a Chinese hack.   Only Golden Sun 2 is programmed in right now, I need a Chinese patch for Golden Sun 1 to look at so I can add compatibility for it.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

Okay, that makes a lot more sense now.  I think I understand what they're asking about now, too.

Stupid language barrier... :x