News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

It Would Be Cool If... (hacking)

Started by Salanewt, 16, June, 2009, 08:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zach

Where is the hack posted at anyways?

Salanewt

Oh, sorry, I have not been working on it lately. I am working on a new project, which has been discussed in Yoshi's Lighthouse (the link is in my signature). However, I suppose I could work on it after the first version of the editor is out.

Have a nice day.
:MercurySet:  :MercuryDjinni:  
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

An idea for yoshi's weapon:  it has 0 attack power, but has an attack multiplier instead.  Basically, attack and defense stats for it are 0, and it cannot be removed.  But gives a multiplier of like 1.2 or 1.4 or something to attack.  That way, as yoshi levels up, so does his weapon!

Salanewt

Hey, good idea. Maybe it could be a reusable egg or something. Anyway, thank for the idea. I wonder if any of these ideas world work for other games as well... Before I rabble on, which colour should this Yoshi be? I am planning on green, but if he is a Mercury Adept, then it might be better for him to be blue.

Have a nice day.
:MercurySet:  :MercuryDjinni:  

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Aile~♥

Nice idea Role!

An idea for a Psynergy series that Buizel learns:

Boom (Null): Automatically does 30 damage to target, ignores damage variation and Wall effects. Learned at level 3. Single Target, 6 PP.
SonicBoom (Null): Automatically does 60 damage to target, ignores damage variation and Wall effects. Learned at level 9. Single Target, 12 PP.
Razor Wind (Null): Automatically does 120 damage to target, ignores damage variation and Wall effects. Learned at level 17. Single Target, 20 PP.

Buizel would also learn Cutting Edge/Plume Edge, as well as the Froth series, and the Douse series.

Another Psynergy idea for Buizel:

Water: Attack with a surge of water. Visually: a small burst of water erupts from the ground below the target. Single Target, 40 Power, 6 PP. Learned at level 5.
Waterfall: Attack with a surge of water. Visually: a huge torrent of water erupts from the ground below the target. Three-Target, 100 Power, 14 PP. Learned at level 20.
Cascade: Crush your foe with 'neath a torrent of water. Visually: a huge torrent of water erupts from the ground below the target, then comes crashing back on top of them. Three-Target, 200 Power, 24 PP. Learned at level 48.

Edit: Fixed the Sonicboom series.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

Wow, I can barely believe that it has taken me this long to find this topic. Anyway, that seems like a good idea, to have Buizel. I am guessing that he would be a faster person with better attack, right? However, I would guess that he has lower defense on average than, say, Garet.

Anyway, I have a new idea. Is it possible, using ASM/ARM/THUMB to add scripts that can be used almost all the time in battle? My plan is to make Golden Sun's battle system slightly different than it is now. Basically, the ability to add extra defense if "A" is pressed at the right time, so the main target can avoid taking some of the damage (but only the main target, not the others if it is a multi-target attack).

Have a nice day.

Edit: And it would only be a slight reduction, like 10-15%.

Charon

I know this would be something that's a bit of a novelty...

...but I think it would be awesome if in Golden Sun, instead of just pushing people, we could pick them up and throw them? Of course, after doing such violent actions we could leave the map and it would reset, but it would be fun.

Also - Using Psynergies besides "Mind Read" on people. Come on! Isn't there a time were you got so sick of Kraden you wanted to cast Plasma on him while he waited for you on the boat? On second thought, such electrical psynergies would make for some pretty interesting field puzzles, based on machinery and generators.

Aile~♥

Role was thinking that Bolt would work outside of battle, for things like lightning rods and Whirlwind Stones. And yeah I guess throwing people would be cool.

Rolina

In my hack, Bolt WILL be usable outside of battle.  It will look like the thunderbolts that struck the lightning rods in the Jupiter Lighthouse, and will be used to trigger many mechanical puzzles (such as the glowing-light-in-the-path puzzles).  There will also eventually be a Diffuse psynergy, which acts to turn OFF things that you can activate with bolt.  Is there a barrier blocking your way?  Look for the active device and diffuse the electrical energy.

I'll basically have 16 standard field psys - 8 are the weakest base element psys, 8 are rock psys (from the elemental rocks).

Quake - Acts as Tremor
Growth - Acts as growth
Sand - Acts as sand
Brush - triggers the floating brush puzzles that Cyclone used to (Cyclone will no longer do this)
Flare - lights a torch (or similar) directly in front of the player.
Blast (Mad Blast) - acts as burst
Blaze - If there's a flame, it'll send the flame forward (just as it does in GS2).  Will often be used in a combo with flare.
Mine - Used on a certain indentation on a wall.  Makes the wall explode, as if you were preforming Blast Mining.  Not used much in story, maybe once or twice, but there's a LOT of opportunities off the beaten path.  Loads of extra areas that need it used.
Whirlwind - Acts as whirlwind
Bolt - described above
Cyclone - Learned instead of reveal for wind adept.  Triggers cyclone's effects, except now just clears brushes instead of making certain ones float.
Diffuse - Learned instead of reveal for lightning adept. described above
Douse - Acts as douse
Frost - Acts as frost
Parch - Acts as parch (may change it, though.  Never liked Parch)
Cryo - Creates a block of ice that can be pushed, moved, carried, and even knocked back until it hits a will with Force.  Used where there's no water to create platforms, but is only the size of a carry rock (half that of an ice pillar).  Floats in water.  Will melt given time, though, so if you don't act quickly enough, it'll melt before you can use it.

For reveal, basically one Wind adept will be able to mind read, the other will be able to use reveal.  I never liked that you got that at Air's rock.  I felt cheated.

Aile~♥

Suddenly this game sounds like it has a bit more technology, what with screwing around with (I'm assuming security laser) barriers, and other electronic devices.

I don't see what the difference is between Blast and Mine, though. They both just cause large explosions.

I found that honestly, in GS, puzzles needing Field Psys were too obvious. There should be more creative use involved. For example:

The path is blocked off by several puddles. You need to be able to get by in order to reach a ladder, but in order to cross, you need a Frost pillar. What to do? Drain one of the puddles, then jump over and Frost the other one. Now you have the path you need.

And with Cryo and Diffuse, you can do more creative things, for example:

Say there's a laser barrier in front of you, blocking the path. Looking around, you notice a generator on the other side of a river. What to do? Make a Cryo block, and push it into the river. Then make another Cryo block, and push it over the other one into the river. Repeat until you have a bridge. Then, cross said bridge, which will probably now be starting to melt, and Diffuse the generator, disabling the security barrier. Then, go back across the bridge using more Cryo blocks as necessary, and go through the now-opened path!

I also think some field psys, like Burst (which would be replaced by Blast), should be put to use on more objects. Basically, if you see some random block of trash you want out of the way, just blow it up!

In fact, I think most of your Field Psy ideas would be very good in the community hack, as I agree with almost all of them.

Rolina

They're both part of the explosive side of Mars.  It's part of the team - the psys they get fit the base of the character.

Ila -> Ground -> Quake and Sand
Sai -> Plant -> Growth and Brush
Aiden -> Flame -> Flare and Blaze
Nina -> Explosive -> Blast and Mine
Kari -> Wind -> Whirlwind and Cyclone
Freya -> Lightning -> Bolt and Diffuse
Eric -> Water -> Douse and Parch(?)
Clyde -> Ice -> Frost and Cryo

Also, "Sounds like it has a bit more technology"?  Umm, no?  Those puzzles ALREADY exist in GS1 and 2.  This is just the new way to trigger them.  They just don't trigger simply by dropping all the blocks in holes.  Remember the Psy that was used to activate the Gombomba Statue?  It's a crude version of that.  You just zap the thing and it starts working.  Diffuse removes the psynergy from the thing, causing it to stop having the effect---

Oh wait... I'm sorry, I was reading your post wrong.  You're NOT arguing against them, it almost looks like you like the ideas...  Actually, there will be puzzles like your Cryo/Diffuse combo.  In fact, I plan on seriously making you think when you go to do some puzzles.  Some will seem simple.  Basically, the idea is to 'train' you on how to use them.  You see a thing of water two blocks across, so you can't jump over there.  But you just learned Cryo, and your way back is blocked by that pesky water you can't get rid of (It's not like you learned Parch!).  So what do you do?  Well, you could cast cryo and push the block over to make a platform to walk on.  Simple.

Then there's more deceptive ones.  You see a carry block.  A.  As in ONE.  And you need two.  So you figure:  Okay, cast cryo, carry the carry block onto it, and jump across.  Except when you land on the carry block, the cryo block under it shatters.  OOPS.  You should have carried the cryo block onto the carry block.  Deceptive... but that's still training level.  Just wait.  I'll make puzzles that require you to pull off a freaking Rube Goldberg Machine to solve it.  Figuring THOSE babies out, and all the setup work you've gotta do?  I'll laugh while you cry.  Trust me.  I will take GREAT pleasure in your torment as you try to get to the next area.

Except Burst/Mine.  Look at it like this, though:

Burst causes a focused explosion of Mars psynergy. It only works on walls if there's a sizable crack in them - basically, enough of a crack that the explosion will cause its collapse.

It will NOT work on sturdy walls.  There are certain glyphs, though, that will basically treat that wall as if it were rigged for Blast Mining - causes the entire, formerly sturdy wall - to collapse.  Mine acts as the trigger psynergy for these glyphs.  It'll open new areas, and is actually one of the primary psynergies you'll use when searching extra areas for ores and the like.

Also, Blast WILL be used on more things.  If there's a crack in it, you can use it.  You can use it on the Moais in Mars Rock, but you'll get a different effect.  Flare now does what Burst used to do on those.  Instead of a lava platform ride up, now you get shot forward by a wave of explosive psynergy.  Thus, flare is used to climb up to the inside of the rock, while Blast is used to shoot to the top of it, taking a totally different path through it.

It'll be like that for ALL the elemental rocks.  One psynergy will allow you to get inside it, while the other one will allow you to ascend it.  Using Whirlwind on the whirlwind stone will clear away the sand and let you climb the rock.  Using Bolt will cause it to blast a hole into the side (similar to how the hole was blasted onto the top in GS2).  Using Quake on the Idol Statue will allow you access into the Gaia Rock.  Using growth will cause little saplings to pop up.  Using growth on those will allow you to climb the mountain.  Using douse on the Aqua Stone will part the water and allow you inside.  Using Frost will FREEZE the water, and allow you to cross it on foot (and thus climb the mountain).

However, on both paths there will be things you need the other type of that rock's elemental psy to access.  You'll follow the Growth Path, but see something you need to knock down with Quake (which works like tremor).  This leads to extra goodies.  You don't HAVE to get them.  They'd be things like the occasional artifact, potions, psy crystals... you know, like it was in GS1/2 when you backtracked to use your new field psys.  Optional, and your mileage may vary when it comes to whether or not it was worth going out of the way for.

...Oops, went on a tangent.  RIGHT, back to blast. I don't wanna spoil too much, but there WILL be some things that have different effects depending on what psynergy you use on it.  For example, you find a Golden Stone.  You COULD pick it up and forge something with it... or you could hit it with a base psy, which would change it into an ore that produces things preferential to that character.  Using blast on it would produce an ore that you could make some nice Rings, Circlets, Staffs, and Charms out of.  But if you use, say, Whirlwind on it, you instead get something that makes Boots, Helms, Armor, and Long Swords.  Well, at least in my game, depending on the build of your characters, the stuff it makes would differ quite a bit.

So there's plenty of stuff to do. In fact, if y'all think of anything, LET US KNOW!  The more we can do with field psys, the better and more interesting we can make our puzzles!

Not to mention that I WILL be using Salanewt's idea of a Psynergy Shop.  Any Psy-bestowing trinkets you get you can sell, and that's the place that'll sell them.  I will be using this not only in my personal hack, but in the community hack as well.  I mean... you'll NEED it.  We've got 8 base field psys, all of which will have their own low cost Field-only trinket version, the slew of psynergy hand tools, mono-elemental psys like Grind (will be one for the other three as well.  Hover, for example, is going to be Jupiter exclusive).  So yeah, tons of them... and your inventory is only so big.  Hell, it was bad enough in GS2 with all the redundant crap!

So yeah, don't be afraid to come up with stuff, because we WILL allow you to sell these things.  We've just gotta get these things... workable.  Nothing too outrageous, it's gotta make sense.

But the trickiest part is... well, classes.  The way I want the characters set up, both in my hack and in the community hack, is that no matter what combination of djinn you use, one adept can only use one type, while the other adept of that element can only use the other.  Basically, for Kari vs Freya - Kari's jupiter psys are ALL wind based, while Freya's are ALL Lightning based.  No exceptions - If I can pull it off the way I'm thinking of trying it, then it'll have the effect even with Item classes.  Atrius has yet to get back with me on that idea, though... I believe I posted it in the "is this possible" thread a while back.

Aile~♥

I think for puzzle inspiration, ToS: DoTNW and the Lego console games are a very good way to go.

I was thinking, instead of having silver objects be blastable like in Lego games, you have cracked objects be blastable, and you have a similar result that is much more creative than Golden Sun's puzzles.

My current question I've been pondering is, what all could you do in-game with a Bolt-powered generator?

thenightsshadow

It's definitely possible (it's active...sorta).  Plausible's the actual problem.
Don't bug me too much.  After all, the 'shadow is always Sirius.

Rolina

...That's exactly what golden sun did, though.  If it's cracked, you can blow it up.

In game?  You know the Gombomba statue?  Remember the push-light-path-bock-in-hole puzzles, here after you push the blocks in the holes, the light comes from the goddess statue, and if it reaches the target point, the door unlocks?  You know, the ones found in pretty much EVERY lighthouse?  Remember the spire puzzles in Jupiter Lighthouse?

Well, bolt is for those puzzles.  Now instead of just push-and-go, you go and trigger the puzzle when you're ready.  There's also other things to do with it.  Use it on whirlwind stones.  Small ones will now charge up and blast the crap out of the sand (in ALL FOUR DIRECTIONS) instead of blowing it away.  It'll have limited range, though, so some places you HAVE to use whirlwind from the stone to get it to hit and scatter the sand.  But bolt can be used to hit packets of sand you can't hit with whirlwind.  If there's a patch of sand you can't target from the opposite direction, you can't shoot wind at it.  Shoot lightning instead.  Don't forget that casting Whirlwind on the large stones works to clear away the sand in the path, like in the base of Air's Rock and in Shaman Village.  Casting Bolt, however, triggers an effect like at the top of Air's Rock, where a friggn' hole was blasted into the thing.

Aile~♥

Yes, but they didn't make adequate use of it.

I was thinking you could make a sort of magitechnology themed area involving Bolt-powered generators and laser security barriers. And maybe light bulbs and such.

Rolina

They didn't make much use of it because alchemy, which POWERED THE THINGS, had been sealed away, and the knowledge to make them was forgotten.

My story takes place about a thousand years after the events of GS2.  They have the knowledge, so such devices are common, ESPECIALLY in places strong in Jupiter.  If you were to say, revisit the jupiter lighthouse, you'd find a LOT of puzzles that need Bolt, Diffuse, Whirlwind, and Cyclone, simply because of the strong ties to the Jupiter element.

Aile~♥

No, I was saying they didn't make enough use of Burst/Blast. With Blast being so readily available in your hack, the game should train players into just blowing up anything and everything they can.

leaf

Although, uh... wouldn't it be kinda strange to need to use bolt to activate stuff in places that are supposed to be populated? Generally, when you need to reactivate something electrical it's due to it having been abandoned...
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Aile~♥

Of course, considering EVERYONE has some alchemy power, they could just deactivate things when they aren't being used, leaving you to reactivate them.

Atrius (He/Him)

If there's a gap of a thousand years since Alchemy was unsealed that's plenty of time for the areas to have been populated, built up, and abandoned again.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]