News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Language Support Question

Started by deniseweird, 14, July, 2009, 08:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deniseweird

Hello everyone, I'm Denise and I am new here. If I'm doing a mistake by creating a new topic, sorry. Anyway. I read that support for other languages than english in Golden Sun TLA is being added to the editor. To what extent is this being done though? Is it possible, or feasable, to get it to the level where I can open the japanese Golden Sun ROMs in the editor, and translate them to my own language?

The thing is, I have been thinking of translating the Golden Sun games, but my biggest obstacle is that my programming and hacking skills are too poor to get it done. (I'm good when it comes to spoken languages, but programming/hacking does not seem to be my field at all.. >.>)

If all the text would be editable in the editor, and there would be no problems in adding new alphabets etc., my job would be a lot easier. So Atrius, what are your plans, thoughts, etc. about this?

Rolina

You know, he IS working on a text editor, as opposed to the current text viewer that we have.

*sighs* Remember the days, when new people would go and introduce themselves, then the board vets would give them advice and answer their immediate questions?  Yeah, those were the days...

deniseweird

Sorry but, Role, what the heck are you getting at? While I might not be the master of introductions, I at least tried to introduce myself. I did not know what kind of information you wanted about me, so I did a quick introduction, and tried to then get to the point. But if there's any additional info you want, you're of course free to ask me. And yeah, thanks for enlightening me but I already knew he's working on making the text viewer a text editor.

Rolina

*facepalms*

Actually, I was hinting at the whole introductions forum.  You don't have to take offense to everything I say, you know.  Kinda ruins it when I actually TRY to be insulting.  Anyways, IIRC, Atrius is already working on it.  There's one for the Spanish version of the game, if I'm not mistaken.  I wouldn't be surprised if he'll eventually get it to work with all languages that the game came out in.

Oh... I guess I should mention that it's also not a good idea to piss off a global mod... especially one as triggerhappy as me.  So, next time, would you kindly not come across as a prick when someone throws a suggestion your way?  It tends to piss people off. ^-^

Atrius (He/Him)

It's already partially compatible with all language versions of the game.  I believe it has trouble finding the text indexes for several things in the Japanese version, and loads the wrong strings though.

I don't see why I couldn't add a font/alphabet editor eventually.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

deniseweird

QuoteActually, I was hinting at the whole introductions forum.
Ok, point taken. I registered while I was in the Golden Sun: The Lost Age Editor section, and I didn't see it cuz you need to go back a few steps. But I saw it now and I will introduce myself there.

QuoteThere's one for the Spanish version of the game, if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't be surprised if he'll eventually get it to work with all languages that the game came out in.
I'm not sure that's quite it though. Having support for existing language versions doesn't automatically mean you can translate from one language to an entirely new one without issues, I think. I could be wrong though.

QuoteOh... I guess I should mention that it's also not a good idea to piss off a global mod... especially one as triggerhappy as me. So, next time, would you kindly not come across as a prick when someone throws a suggestion your way? It tends to piss people off. ^-^
Coming across as a prick was exactly what I thought about your "suggestion". I have no problems with suggestions. The thing was the whole (even if only perceived) "Uhh kids these days"-like attitude that I saw, with the added fact that I wasn't aware of the Introductions topic (as mentioned before), which made me think that you were merely mocking me for my writing.

My new knowledge of you being a mod doesn't change my stance. I think we should settle things in a respective manner as equals. But if you want to use your power and ban me, I can't stop you I guess.

QuoteIt's already partially compatible with all language versions of the game. I believe it has trouble finding the text indexes for several things in the Japanese version, and loads the wrong strings though.

I don't see why I couldn't add a font/alphabet editor eventually.
Sounds good. Would it then be possible to translate a ROM? I could think of things like encoding issues, but that may not actually be a problem.

Aile~♥

Obviously it doesn't. I tried sarcasm, and you got angry at me for it! :Sweat:  
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

Meh, the 'kids these days comment' was mainly meant as a *hint hint* kind of thing, with a bit of sarcasm... but alas, sarcasm does not translate very well across the interwebs...