News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Tileset Theories

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 02, February, 2015, 12:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Quote from: From cboxI'm quite curious how Golden Sun did their 16x16 map tilesets. (Not the tilemap itself, but 16x16 tilesets)... Reason is because the way they're store in the game is that they're organized by order the map uses it, but I'm guessing that was only for compression purposes, and that they originally came from a 16x16 tileset. If such tilesets were shared between rooms (Even with different 8x8 tilesets)... then this could be even more interesting, so it would be nice to look up.

It's kinda hard to study them, but I did find that the 8x8 tilesets in the Lighthouses share some tiles... and the Elemental Rock dungeons share some tiles as well. (At least with the floating platforms.)

And some 8x8 tiles in one of the Islet Cave maps share tiles with one of the maps in Taopo Swamp...

(When I say "share", I mean more like duplicate, I think.)

Some rooms like the following have a bunch of 8x8 matching tiles, but with many of their own tiles as well:

14 Kandorean Temple
24 Shrine of the Sea God
100 Alhafran Cave
126 Gabomba Catacombs

With palette slot 0x6, seems the wall tiles match up in game, perhaps these used the same 16x16 tileset? (Before they were rearrange in the order the maps use them.)
(Also, palette slot 0x6 is different in both rooms.)

I think 55 Mikasalla has some Garoh tiles. I mean, sure the houses are in the map, but the moon and Reveal rock is in the 8x8 tileset too.
Also 53 Madra Drawbridge and E. Tundarian Islet have Garoh tiles.

Inside houses in Mikasalla, Garoh, and Tundarian Islet are also the same.

My idea with the Tileset Theory is that all matching tiles from multiple maps will likely use the same palette slot. What other interesting occurences can you find to further prove there were general use/area use 16x16 tilesets? How many tiles do you think went across? (Tiles per row)  Do you have any idea what the original tileset(s) might would look like? (Besides what's obvious.) Etc.

---
Lighthouse Tileset
Elemental Rock Tileset
Cave Tileset
Sea of Time, Northern Reaches
Suhalla Gate (Vale Tileset)
Daila/Kandarean Temple (Outside)
???: Shrine of the Sea God Brick rooms? ; Shrine of the Sea God: Top ; Lemurian Ship ; East Indra Shore ; Yampi Desert & Cave

Dehkan Plateau/ 103 Gondowan Cliffs (Inside and out) , Kibombo Mountains (Inside)
Town Tileset, Inside & Outside (Madra/95 Alhafra)
Rocky Inside Rooms (46 Madra, 65 Garoh)
Naribwe, Kibombo Mountains, Kibombo

---
Perhaps rooms had two 16x16 tilesets? (No idea.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Luna_blade

Is this only in GS:TLA or also in GS1? Or is that something to find out?

Are you asking us to go look around for seemingly the same blocks in a map?

I don't have that much time, but I could try. Especially if it's GS1.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Most likely both games?

Something like that? The biggest idea of this topic is to figure out how we could get a user-friendly map editor working. (Or at least, ideas on what to code....) My mind points to the idea that we may need to remake the 16x16 tilesets, though. (Basically, it would consist of 8 bytes per 16x16 tile... in that would be 2 bytes for each mini-tile. (4-bits palette index, 2 bits are x/y flip, and 10-bits is offset in 8x8 tile graphics.)

And from that, do what I theorize the games probably did. Grab the used tiles from that, and place them in the order they appear in the map.

GS1:
Vale/Vault (Outside), Goma Cave Entrance, Bilibin all have Vale-style houses...
Vale/Vault/Bilibin (Inside) seem to all have same tiles.
McCoy's Palace (Inside) / Hammet Palace (Inside) / Babi's Palace (Inside) ... same tiles as Battle Arena Lobby...
McCoy's Palace (Outside) Same tiles as Vale, but does not have the Vale houses tiles.
Bilibin Barricade... Some Vale tiles as well... (Seems like plenty might be replaced with other tiles.)
Kolima/Kolima Bridge/Kolima Forest (Same Vale ground tiles, a bunch of other tiles too.)
Bilibin Cave Entrance (Vale tiles)
Imil (Prox tiles for houses)
Fuchin Temple, Mogall Forest, Xian (Vale's ground tiles.)
Alpine Crossing (Vale tiles) (You will see stairs load, and then replaced with a rock.)
Atlin (Some Vale ground tiles)
Atlin Peak / Lamakan Desert (Inside) / Vault Cave / Crossbone Isle Cave / Suhalla Desert (Inside) ... looks like a simple tileset? ... Another Atlin Peak map has Sol Sanctum tiles...
Lama Temple (Vale ground tiles)
Lamakan Desert / Suhalla Desert (I see some tiles for the ground also below...) (No tiles in 0600C000.)
Kalay / Hammet Palace (Outside) / Tolbi / Gondowan Passage
Lunpa (Vale ground tiles)
Kalay Docks / Tolbi Docks / Crossbone Isle (Vale tiles)
Some Crossbone Isle Cave maps have Lighthouse tiles...
Colloseum (Not the actual match maps) (Sol Sanctum tiles)
Kalay Tunnel Entrance (Vale ground tiles)
Kalay Tunnel (Sol Sanctum tiles)

Did a mostly quick skim.. There are also a set of maps using certain cave tiles I have not listed.

Even though these rooms have common tiles, it's hard to see how to make such a 16x16 tileset in the best way...

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)