News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Teeth - The Power of Wisdom

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 12, November, 2012, 03:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

This topic is here to ask if anyone has gotten their wisdom teeth grown out yet? And how many have you had? I read that your wisdom teeth come at the ages of 16(?) to 25. And that you can either have 0, 1, 2, 3, or even four of them.

So far, I have had none grown out yet, but if I had to guess, I'll probably end up with two at the top of my mouth?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Atrius (He/Him)

The Air Force took mine away.  The top ones hadn't broken through, and the bottom ones were impacted.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

zman9000

Nice topic, I was actually thinking about this.

When I was almost 16 the dentist said I would have to have mine out by the summer, because my jaw is way to small and they would cause pain and chewing issues by then.

Skip to now, me now 20 and only a month or two until i'm 21 and my second wisdom tooth is just now coming through and none of them have been a problem other then the pain of breaking through the gum which is to be expected. (O and I have all 4 of them)

I've started two wonder how much dentist actually know. I'm the only one in my family who brushes his teeth only once a day or not at all some times and I'm the only one to never get cavity's. I think it may be bad if you brush too often cause it not only wares down your teeth but removes a layer of calcium that builds up over your teeth over time, but the dentist always scratches that off.

I still brush some what regularly but I half wonder if dentists really know how to keep your teeth healthy sometimes.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Luckily making this topic wasn't so difficult of a decision, since the only post I found on wisdom teeth was Atrius's post from another topic:
QuoteOn top of having a dry socket from my wisdom teeth being removed last week I've also been having quite a bit of computer trouble, here's the situation as it stands now:

-----

QuoteThe Air Force took mine away.
They did not even give you the option of keeping them as a souvenir?  Ah, makes me wonder what exactly they do with them.  They probably just throw them away.

@zman9000: Yeah, I was looking wisdom teeth up the other day, I just didn't think about posting anything on it here until now. Anyway, thanks. I'm not much for brushing either. The dentists tell you to brush and floss. I remember hearing something about brushing being 90% of the cleaning, and flossing being the other 10%, or something like that. ; Anyway, I'd prefer eating Kiwi... I forget the three things that I heard on Dr. Oz for cleaning teeth a long time ago, but I think one was Kiwi.

On second thought, perhaps I should have named this topic:  Open-wide - The Power of Wisdom
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Kioll

Quote from: zman9000 on 12, November, 2012, 03:58:54 PM
I've started two wonder how much dentist actually know. I'm the only one in my family who brushes his teeth only once a day or not at all some times and I'm the only one to never get cavity's. I think it may be bad if you brush too often cause it not only wares down your teeth but removes a layer of calcium that builds up over your teeth over time, but the dentist always scratches that off.

In response to this:  You probably have what I have.  There's something that gets done really early on some kids called a sealing.  What they do is they put a layer of something on your teeth that prevents cavities.  I went a long portion of my life like, never brushing, not a single cavity.  Apparently my seal broke, though, so meh.

Back on topic, I have all of my wisdom teeth, most of them aren't full height, and they haven't done any growing in the last couple years, so...
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

A layer of something? I thought maybe you were talking about fluoride.

Anyway, fluorine is in toothpaste as well. And I have heard that it prevents cavities, but you aren't supposed to swallow it.

As for your wisdom teeth.  Good for you.  Maybe they are there to stay? Hm..

P.S. = During the long portion of your life, did you ever take the time to chew anything hard. Like nuts, etc.? Or was everything soft food? Just wondering.

I have made a minor change to the title, and now any discussion on teeth is "on-topic", from now on.  The idea is that hopefully this will allow this topic to stay alive a bit longer than it would have.  You could even post how many teeth you have, if you wanted to. Hehe.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Robert Joe

I have had my Wisdom Teeth for quite some time now, I never really thought too much of it.

Although, on the subject of dental health, I should probably do something about that cavity that I have, but I really have not thought too much about that, either.

Knight of Purgatory

Lol I've never been to the dentist in my life.
MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES

@Robert Joe: I'm guessing your wisdom teeth never caused you much pain. Well, after they came in, anyway.

@Knight of Purgatory: Well then, if that is so, then I'll just assume that going to the doctor was the closest you've gone. Unless you've never been there, either.

Summary on going to the dentist: You go to the dentist for a check-up every 6 months. They clean your teeth and take x-rays of them. If you have cavities, you come back later to get fillings. They drill out the cavity, which can be painful. So to help with the pain, they offer venom nova-Cain (sp?), which basically numbs your gums. That wears off after a good few hours or more. After all the drilling, putting the filling in is practically a no brainer.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Kain

Yeah, I had some kind of silver cap put over my teeth when I was younger and it basically protected them.  I've only gone to the dentist three times in my life.  One for the silver caps, two...I was having a killer headache but I noticed that the problem seemed to be coming from my mouth, so I went to the dentist and spoke to them and they basically told me that I had a wisdom tooth that was causing problems.

So they pulled it that day.  Apparently I was lucky that it hadn't rooted and at least, according to them, that was the only wisdom tooth I had so I don't know what to think about that.  The third time I've been to the dentist is I felt a pain on the top, back right of my jaw and when I went in...I found out I have a hole in that tooth.  Dentists didn't do anything.  They said I need to schedule a cleaning first, then schedule for a filling.  I figure once something on the left side starts hurting I'll make that appointment since they love to charge me a pretty penny every time I go in there so meh.  Nothing to do but keep brushing for now and eating with the left side.
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

zman9000

you guys heard that Russians figured out how to regrow teeth if you lose them? though the current price for the operation is about a million dollars for a full set. any thoughts on that? if one day that comes down in cost will it replace dentures? And with regrowing teeth we might be able to do better study's on cleaning teeth.

Its interesting don't you think?
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Wolf

At first I had two wisdom teeth that came in at different times.  Coincidentally they both replaced a tooth in front of them that had a cavity.  After that two more appeared, one behind each new tooth.

Knight of Purgatory

I Have a tooth growing a bit higher than where it should be
MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES

This topic has been up one year? Well, I guess it's time for an update: It still seems like I will have just two wisdom teeth so far, while one has already broken the skin for good, the other has not.

Also, this is my 1000th post.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

mickbrown

I had four, but got them out about six years ago when the orthodontist said that they could start undoing all the nice work he'd done to my teeth. :D

Funny thing was that my mom was the one that took me to the oral surgeon to have them removed. Apparently, the surgeon told us *both* after the surgery was done (and I was all still very much drugged up) about the pain killers. My mom apparently thought I was coherent enough to remember it, and didn't tell me about them when I later came to after she got me home and I slept for a while. The pain didn't get above annoyance level until about 2 a.m. when it really started to hurt. I took the prescription-strength ibuprophen that I'd gotten a few days before the surgery to no avail. I tried to wait it out by going downstairs and watching a PGA golf tournament. My mom came down at about 5 or 6 a.m. and asked me why I hadn't taken any pain killers when I told her what was wrong.

Lord Wolfram

Well said story.
It is a horror Story for me. :happy:
Because I am still 15 and really soon will be my birthday.

zman9000

Update for me.
all 4 teeth came in but there's a problem on one side.
one of the teeth, while its come in, its not fully broken the gum over it, so when i bite down i bite my gum thats over the tooth.

the dentist has seen it a few times and i thought by now (its been like this for half a year) that it would break through.
think in the end i'm going to have to either get a razor blade and slit the gum over the tooth and let through (which i don't recommend since it sounds like a bad idea.) or have the dentist do it (which still sounds kinda bad)

i don't exactly want them pulled since other then there being a flap of gum still stuck over it i don't have any trouble eating. its more annoying then anything.

I'd like to know if anyone else has had this kinda problem?

Update for me.
One wisdom tooth still coming in, probably almost fully, but not quite yet.. (I'm not sure how far they grow out.)
Second wisdom tooth has broken the gum...
And that's all.

QuoteI'd like to know if anyone else has had this kinda problem?
Nope... Not yet.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden