News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

portals/worm holes

Started by zman9000, 23, November, 2012, 07:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zman9000

So I've been thinking about this forever and thinking if portals or wormholes exist how would they work and interact.
please note I have a lot of time on my hands.
And so after a while thinking about it I've realized a few shocking things that kinda screw with your mind.

we all know about the theory of relativity right? time is only relative to an object relative to all other objects.
and we know time slows down for an object the faster it goes.
So my thought is, if you were to get an active portal or wormhole and were to send one end of it on a trip until there is a difference of time of for it of an hour.
In a sense, if you were to go in the end that has an hour less of time passed, wouldn't it connect to the other end an hour in the past?

And say for some reason that it doesn't pass any faster because the universe treats the wormhole as a single point. well then in theory you could send a portal anywhere and travel there in a blink of an eye. but then you have the problem of if the portal remains in time connected at the same time would looking through the portal have time going faster or slower relatively from your perspective? And if so that brakes the rule that the speed of light is constant.

Either way you end up braking a rule. the first one's problem is not only does it bring in the possibility of time travel but having two different times in the same universe. That would inquire moving through time backwards while still having the same past connected to the same future. The second thing that could happen is also confusing as it would mean time would move different for anything going through the portal and that means neighboring space would have different time.

MORE REASONS PORTALS WOULD WORK WEIRD.
QuoteAnd there are even more things that don't make sense. portals would allow the ability to harness an unlimited amount of energy through kinetic force thanks to gravity Also think about a solid object moving through a portal, if one side of the portal was used on said object, and the other side was facing down on the ground, when you moved the object into the portal wouldn't that make the portal facing down float breaking the law of gravity.
And say you were to take a straight metal pole, and weld the two ends together. if you turned one of the portals would the portal detect the metal pole there and break it because aligned space is now different? (this last one assume the universe would understand that the matter within the space moved changing it.)

With all this said, the universe does allow for such things as portals and wormholes because of the bending of space and time because of gravity. however these same forces along with time dilation due movement make it as if it wouldn't work. well that's why I created this topic, because I've looked around and wasn't able to find anything on this. and if I have something wrong let me know.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Robert Joe

That is all very intriguing. And sadly, it is impossible to know for certain how wormholes would behave in instances like these without actually having one to perform tests on. Obviously the technology required to achieve that is hundreds, if not thousands (Assuming governments keep taking funding out of things like NASA, and continue to use inefficient methods of education) of years away.

Hmm.. Turning a set of portals with a solid metal pole in then would probably break or bend the said pole. I mean, what else could possibly happen? Of course, that is just it; we do not know. I still have to think about the other scenarios...

zman9000

QuoteHmm.. Turning a set of portals with a solid metal pole in then would probably break or bend the said pole. I mean, what else could possibly happen? Of course, that is just it; we do not know. I still have to think about the other scenarios...
The problem is that the universe allows for portals but you can't move matter with out touching it with some force. and turning a portal would be the same as turning space, but would that matter within the space bend as well? I mean you are already bending space with a portal, but my thinking is it might distort matter. like wise if that's how it works you could theoretically crush matter with little force meaning you could crush an object into a black hole with your hands.

Though I'm positive that as soon as portals are created they will be abused.
I'll put my bathroom on mars and my living room on one of Jupiter's moons.
and the computer room will be on Pluto as it wouldn't take much to keep the computer cool and running at 1000%.

total abuse.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

mecurylighthouse

actually portal tech could be possible if
1we had knowlagde  of all the dimsions (there are more than four theoreticlly)
2we had the abillity the convert matter in to energy(theoreticlly possibe)
think about this for a minute every thing  is made up of atoms right ? and atoms are like 99% empty space then why is every thing solid why cant we walk through walls becuase the atom has energy in the empty space that holds it together this energy also determins how and when they bond and this energy cuases the solids and liquids gas everything to exist
but it is possible to manipulate this enrgy too ho do you think the make synthetic elements they mess with atoms so if we could turn all the true mass of an object into energy we could easily send it any where like mars justhave a way to return to atoms to normal and the beam it across space light say a flash light but much stronger also it might be possible without that in other dimensions laws of space or time might not apply a trip to pluto could be an inch away and an inch here could be lightyears there so yea that could happen too
:Isaac: WHY!!!!!!...
                               :Felix: ...ummmm because

zman9000

I think you have some things wrong.

A portal is a direct connection between distant spaces, not matter. what you warp is space, not the matter. I mentioned that new particle that acts like its connected at distances. first off its a subatomic particle and two my theory is it is connected by warped space as it takes some energy to send these particles into this state.

Also note that a generator that gives off more energy then it consumes it possible. (like free energy) its not that you are creating energy from nothing, all generators gather electric particles through a type of friction. so when you generate energy you are gathering it, meaning you can make a generator that gathers more then it uses.

Now you might be thinking what does all this have to do with what we are talking about.
well first off we do have the ability to change matter into energy, since that's how the device you used to type that comment is powered. there is no fact of other dimensions only theory and theory is only an idea. And about turning mass into energy, well you can never lose mass and gain energy, energy is different from mass.

Also make note that if a portal is made the portal its self must be solid and stiff. because think, what would happen if you stuck your hand in a flat portal connected to a bent one. you're hand would create a paradox. making one our of light would not only make it so only light could go through it, if you were to stick something solid through it only a small amount of particles would go through while the other just faze through it. if you were to make a portal with matter as the base you would have to have it made of solid subatomic particles with as little empty space as possible, because if not, just think of it like sticking your hand into a cheese grader... only half your hand goes through the portal and half doesn't... it would be like cloning a dead body while reducing its mass by half.

So you can see there are some major problems with your theory here. (only thing that confused me was your mention of extra dimensions which doesn't seem really matter)

mecurylighthouse

not entairly energy  deos have relation to mass that would allow mass converted to energy and visce versa
E=mc2      in order to do this (M) would have to be decresed and (c) increased to resultin the same amont of energy +the amount of matter lost

zman9000

Quotenot entairly energy  deos have relation to mass that would allow mass converted to energy and visce versa
E=mc2      in order to do this (M) would have to be decresed and (c) increased to resultin the same amont of energy +the amount of matter lost

the true equation is "(Energy)^2 = ((mass)^2 * (Light)^2)^2" for those who don't know (shortened to E=m*c^2)
here's an online explanation of the whole equation.
[spoiler]It is the relationship between energy (e), mass (m) and the speed of light (c) squared. Basically it says that energy and mass are part of the same thing, as related by the quation. It means it is possible to convert mass into energy and energy into mass.
Short explanation: energy = mass x (speed of light)^2
Long explanation:
This is stating that energy equals mass times a constant (the speed of light squared which equals approximately (299 792 458 m/s) squared).
So basically the idea is that energy (heat, movement, etc) can be converted into mass, and the difference grows less the faster you go. Therefore meaning the more energy you have the more mass you have. This explains why you cannot go faster than the speed of light, because you'd end up with (approaching) infinite mass and would therefore need infinite energy.
E = m*c^2 is Einstein's famous equation relating energy (E), mass (m), and the speed of light (c, for celeritas, Latin for "speed").
For example, the Sun fuses hydrogen (H) atoms into helium (he). It takes 4 H atoms to make 1 He atom. However, when you add the mass of 4 H, you get a tiny bit more than the mass of one He.
The difference is tiny, but with the large number of atoms involved in the Sun's core, it adds up: The Sun loses over 4 million tonnes of mass every second.
The definition of a Watt is "a kilogram metre-squared by second-cubed" or, in math terms: 1 W = 1 kg m^2 / s^3.
That's where the last factor comes from. Simply applying a definition to make the units come out right.
Similarly, if you want to create matter out of energy (you have E, you want to create m), then you use the same equation to find out how much energy is needed to create some specific particle.[/spoiler]

ugg... I'm not going to go through and explain why you are wrong, its going to take me an hour... you are right about the equation but are wrong as the formula doesn't really matter since this isn't about mass, light, or energy. if you are trying to add the speed of light into the portal equation you create a paradox which I tried to explain in an earlier post. From what I know about this, you were to make a portal out of light, not only could it never stop but being connected by alternate space anything moving through it would be moving faster then the speed of light. (effects of this could be reverse time travel, moving out side of time, breaking out of space entirely, or creating a void of nothingness "different from a black hole as it doesn't have gravity and everything that goes into it ceases to exist.)

so even if you could make your portal out of light you could never stop the portal and would create a paradox. Not to mention you would be converting matter into energy but it would still be energy when it comes out. you are trying to connect space with a physical thing, where the portal would be connected by direct space, and going through one would be as easy as walking through a door. because both sides of the portal are the same space and are touching.

mecurylighthouse

-_- You win this round .... iguess i forgot ithought it was like forceXvolume or some hting likt that i might need to ggo back to physics in college

zman9000

dude I learned everything I know from TV, the internet, and common sense. Like I said just spend some time looking around before you claim something is a certain way... also spell check your posts... both of those I got chewed out about when I first joined here... so I know... I know...