News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Bloodlines

Started by MaxiPower, 26, November, 2012, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxiPower

GS / LOTR / Fantasy in general inspired tale

thoughts, suggestions?

Prologue:

"Do you really think the planet is dying?" asked Garcia plunging his sword into the soft ground beneath his feet. Some twigs caught in his shirt, snagging his golden Elvin tunic and tearing a small hole in his waistcoat as he wrestled the stack of firewood from his grip.

Darius entered the cave behind him. "I don't know what to think." There was a brief pause while he placed his longbow and satchel on the ground then continued, "Dalzell seems to think so; regardless we'll know the extent of it tomorrow.

"This weather and the elder's fears can't be a coincidence Darius. Though I suppose that can wait. We'll be lucky if we don't freeze tonight, now hurry - block the entrance 'til I get a fire started."

"I've already lost one home to the weather" Darius muttered under his breath as wind whipped at his face, flailing his milky hair over his face distorting his vision as he piled rocks and snow across the opening of the cave, erecting a wall until only a small gap remained. " I've never seen it so bad."

"And yet the winter months are not upon us! Just block out as much as you can." A flame sparked from Garcia's hand that illuminated the room, however quickly the strength of the flame that he was casting began to blink to the beat of his heart; then it ceased. " I've reached my limit. just enough to get this going. How are you holding up? You didn't seem dazed from using your element, even out there."

Darius, finished with the entrance, turned to see the hungry fire beginning to lick flames. "No I'm tired" he retorted. "But I've had more experience in the outdoors. You should focus on developing your technique rather than depending on your physical strength. Typical Galati attitude!"

There was an awkward silence which was finally broke when Darius reached into his pack and pulled out a package, it contained meat from a deer he had slain earlier. "Now we eat" he said bringing a smile to Garcia's face. "We only carry what we need tomorrow; the rest can be collected on our return."

The temperature within the cave began to rise and with it the aroma of the food quickly hit their nostrils. The companions placed their soaked overcoats beside the fire to dry and now sat atop their bags to escape the cold floor. Darius with his slender build got comfy quickly with his back perched up against the cave wall however Garcia was having trouble with his huge mass fidgeting with his balance shifting his bulk until he finally succumbed to the reality of the situation. "Aye, I'm as much an Elf as you a damn troll." he barked beckoning the duo into a spurt of laughter as he reluctantly accepted the uneven floor.

This moment of contentment was interrupted by the harsh reality of the Northern Reaches. Howls and wails of beasts could be heard with only a layer of snow and stone between them. "The smell of cooking flesh seems enticing also to the wolves it seems." sniggered Garcia as he lent forward picking up a leg of meat "Too bad!"

"The wolves are getting desperate. There is little food to be found out there and they know were here. Regardless, I can sleep easy. I'm convinced you would make a right feast. They would not even notice me."

"I assure you, I'm not on the menu." Garcia gnarled stretching for his blade bringing it to his side. Though, dare they choose to persist, they will be on mine."

Night rolled in fast and the eerie cries of the beasts rang deep into the night. The pair; now wearing their heavy but dry overcoats were asleep when the howling suddenly ceased waking Darius in the process who was seemingly conscious to the absence of the noise.

Grasping his bow he staggered towards the entrance of the cave wiping the sleep from his eyes as he peered through the small air hole he had left. Strange it was he thought that no sunlight was piercing the cave as sunrise had surely past. Something was wrong indeed. He was met by a sudden cry of pain. It only lasted a short moment but the screech was enough to wake Garcia who jumped to his feet in a blind panic. "What's going on!?" he shouted.
The darkness from outside was now seeping in making their dwelling quickly inhabitable. "What's burning? There's nothing but snow out there."

"And wolves." Darius muttered under his breath. He cast a flame with haste thawing the remnants of what was left of the now already melting wall. A thick acrid cloud of smoke and the stench of burning flesh hit the elves causing them to lose face and choke on the fumes as they rushed outside gasping like fish out of water. "There!" Darius exclaimed. Some thirty yards in front of where they were standing was a furnace of green flames with no sign of a fuel around. "It is the snow! And what's left of those wolves!"

"What sorcery is this?" questioned Garcia looking anxiously for an instigator.

"No sorcery. There is no doubt... This, this is Dragon fire!"

Lead Character - DariusTassinari

MaxiPower

Prose... grr my enemy. tips, feedback much appreciated.

Chapter 1: an Oath Renewed – Dalzell

(16 Years prior)

"Children, you need to focus" said an old feeble looking elf as his raspy voice echoed throughout the divine and spacious Great Hall as he looked upon a dozen of the city's offspring. "I cannot stress enough the importance of getting atop your element. Now once more before we finish up."

"We have studied enough Dalzell!" a child shouted.

"Yes Elder, Story time!" demanded another.

"Ah I suppose you have. Fair enough, we will resume where we left off tomorrow." said the elder with a grin seemingly waiting for such a response as he nimbly sprung off his granite chair. "Gather round then." Within seconds the children swarmed around eagerly awaiting him to begin. "Now what story should I tell?"

Several suggestions came from different directions and quickly the great hall was full of chatter.

"Tell of the snow trolls" one child said.

"No, tell us of the other elves" came another.

There was one child that was silent of which the elder turned to. "What would our newest addition to the class and my favourite grandchild like to hear?"

The boy smiled but shyly remained silent causing one of his older peers to nudge him. "Pick a good one Darius." he whispered in his ear.

"Now now Galiron, they are all good, are they not?" smirked the elder at the oversized adolescent.

"They were gramps; but they have lost their charm over the years."  

"Is that so Master Galati? Well... Maybe if you weren't such a slow witted fool you would have finished your studies years ago. I would complain to your father about your progress or rather lack of it but it wouldn't do any good."

"Why is that?" Galiron questioned

"Your father Andris shared your same thick skull as a child though he did eventually get to grips with it. Therefore I haven't lost all hope in you quite yet.
Students usually get to grips with the technique by the age of ten, twelve at the latest for late bloomers but you... what are you now fourteen... fifteen?

"Nearly sixteen" muttered Galiron, showing signs of agitation.

"Exactly, now be silent or take yourself on home." He said gesturing towards the door at the end of the hallway.

Galiron did not move an inch nor decide to respond. Instead his presence despite his daunting size seemed to deflate whilst Darius again became the focus of the elder's attention.

"Now young blood, which shall it be?"

Darius quietly uttered something but no one could make out what he had said.

"Locate your voice Darius; shyness is an illness you must overcome." Dalzell said in a comforting tone.

The child nodded. "Could... Could you tell of the legendary Dragoon?"

For a brief moment the elder seemed to be miles away lost in thought until finally a smile came to his face "I could. I don't see any harm in it. Yes good choice. It was always my favourite if I do say so myself."

"What is it about elder" the children asked in unity.

"This tale is one only my young grandchild here has heard. "Darius smiled in delight... "It is the tale I like to call. The plight of the Red Dragons"

The very mention of dragon's caused a surge of excitement to fill the chamber as a dozen eyes now latched to the Elder's every movement. Even Galiron couldn't help but give his full attention as the room once again fell silent. Before Dalzell could speak however the two large wooden doors of the great hall swung open, sending a fluster of cold air down the hallway and extinguishing many of the room's candles in the process. Entering the room, a figure clad in armour wrestled against the tempest wind that resisted as he sealed the entrance behind him before approaching the front of the room. In a panic the elder rushed forward to greet him.

The children, their jaws dropped at the sight of this majestic warrior who had dared to make the ascent. Galiron who had been slumped on the floor scurried to his feet as he pushed out his chest making himself as big as he could, towering above all but the outsider.

"Sorry for the intrusion Master Tassinari" the man spoke whilst rubbing his hands together in an attempt to generate heat.

"Nonsense Hector" Dalzell retorted whilst motioning the elves to rekindle the candles before placing his hands atop the man's quickly restoring them to a healthy colour. "Where is the King? We weren't expecting you. We have nothing prepared."

"Ragner isn't here. It's just me and two others."

"You have courage to spare to have made such a perilous trip to Leuven at such a time of year. All is well in Kona I hope? The King too?"
Hector nodded.

"I don't understand. You are most welcome; forgive me however for being so blunt; but what brings you here? Why are you not at the Kings side?"  

"I didn't like his request either though he would not task this to any other. He was to make the journey himself however something urgent came up at the last minute. He holds the wellbeing of the Snow Elves to the highest regard. You know how he is.

"Yes, we are quite humbled. What did he ask of you?"

"I have been entrusted to deliver this." Hector reached within his snow covered chainmail to an inside pocket pulling out a letter sealed with a blue wax. All will become clear when you read its contents.

Dalzell unfolded the letter and began to read it aloud.

"To my friends, the Snow Elves of the Silver Mountains;
On my recent visit to Leuven, I learnt of the severe conditions the winter months have forced your race to endure.  I have since longed for a way that the men of Kona could help. Though I cannot stop the snow from falling nor thwart the relentless winds. I can however provide a settlement for the Elves of Leuven to dwell in during these harsh months.
I hereby declare that the region of Alpine and the Northern Reaches are to be relinquished to the Tassinari family of the Snow Elves. Though the beauty of the Alpine Forest does not nearly come close to that of Elvish Glades I hope this gesture of goodwill from Man to Elf is suffice and that we can continue to forge the oath between our two races.
Signed Ragner Levant"

Dalzell finished with the letter folded it back up and returned it to Hector. "This is a generous offering; but one we couldn't possibly accept."
"He predicted such a gracious response from you elder and therefore I have been ordered not to take no for a answer."

"Did he now?" The elder chuffed as he pictured the King giving the order.

"Indeed. I am to remain here for the rest of my days or until I can persuade you that is" Hector retorted with an obvious hint of the Kings sarcasm seeping in.

"Well I suppose I should reconsider then. I could not condemn you to this frozen wasteland. It does wonders for our skin, this climate; but a prolonged stay will be the death of you."

"Then it's settled?" Hector replied in a more serious tone, getting back to business.

"Though we are more prepared for the season ahead. Going by the trend of recent years, were expecting to be hit harder." Dalzell turned looking over his shoulder at the kids who all but Galiron had took their focus of them. "I would rather not put the children through such torment again if it could be prevented. That being said I cannot make such a decision without addressing the people."

Hector yet again nodded in agreement. "Understandable"

"They will have many questions. Most of them of which have never left the city before. Galiron there, his mother is expecting soon." Dalzell said pointing to the boy. Galiron tensed up as the eyes of the warrior sized him up.

"Galiron, That must be Galati's boy?"

"How did you know?" The elder said in a sarcastic tone. "Taking after Andris in more ways than one he is." He added.

"He can wield a blade?"

"Let's just say if he focused here as much as he trained with the sword he would be my finest student." Dalzell said raising his voice purposely so the words would carry to an eavesdropping Galiron.

"Come here boy" Hector said gesturing the boy to him.

Galiron at first nervously didn't move quickly however he recollected himself and advanced with confident strides stopping just before the outsider. His sturdy posture was now more apparent beside someone of a more equal build and for once he didn't feel much like an outcast.  

"So I hear you can swing a sword? Unconventional weapon of choice for an Elf is it not?"

"Effective is the word I would use." Galiron abruptly retorted. "If you knew my father, you wouldn't make such comments so hastily.

"We have crossed paths on a few occasions as it so happens." He smiled "Though I apologies for my ignorance. I guess that came out wrong. Here show me what you can do." The warrior unsheathed his sword from his scabbard. Divine it was, as long as a warriors arm and as thick as a man's hand. It's white handle as pure as the snow that choaked the city.

"It's beautiful" Galiron uttered in awe as Hector handed it to him. "Much prettier than the dull one I train with." He added as he started to swing at the air."

"That blade will never lose its charm. Made from the grandest materials found in Lucere and forged by the druids, you will struggle to find a more perfected weapon." His words fell upon deaf ears however as Galiron was more focused on his precision slices. Giving up Hector turned to Dalzell.

"Its edge, it reminds me of how our Mountain used to shine in the summer." Dalzell sighed.

"Reminiscing on times gone by are we?"

"A cruel reminder is all."

"So what will it be? Hector smiled. "Am I to become a permanent fixture of this place?"

"Galiron!" The elder shouted, "Ring the city bell!" He ordered before turning to the offspring. "Right children, I need you all to return home. Darius, tell your father to come see me at once."

"What about the Dragons" A child cried.

"Another time" he assured them. "Now scamper off home the lot of ya!"

"Dragons?" Hector laughed. "Your father, the great Dante Tassinari and our old King; Levi Levant... What a tale. What a coincidence yet fitting that their names are brought up here."

"Yes it is" Dalzell smiled. "They were the founding fathers of our oath after all.

"Here's your sword." Galiron sighed as he butted in looking reluctant to part with it.

"Keep it. Consider it a gift. Hector said, turning away from the boy "I'll update my men on the situation. They are less fond of this weather than I am. If that's possible" The warrior smiled as he took formal leave of the chamber.