News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Perception

Started by zman9000, 06, December, 2012, 06:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zman9000

I noticed something really weird while falling asleep listening to a song. just as I started to fall asleep the sound suddenly sped up really fast where I was startled, woke up, and the song when back to normal.

I remembered that you can have a day long dream in a few hours and thinking about this I realized something. perception is a thing that generally doesn't change but...
Can you be sure everyone has the same perception of time? And not with just time but what about color, and sound, and taste?
There are people who have their senses messed up and can taste sound, and hear a color, and feel a taste.
since this much is possible, it is also possible to the person that things aren't the same from person to person.

think of it like this.
there's two guys
one sees red as red, blue as blue, and green as green.
the other sees red as red, blue as green, and green as blue.

when the first guy sees red then blue then green he says "red then blue then green"
when the other guy sees red then blue then green he says "red then blue then green"

even though the color isn't the same for the two people they have been taught what is blue and what is not, meaning each person may see the same colors differently.
you could say that you see light thus it has to be that color, but you forget that the light hits sensors in your eyes and takes that information to the brain where it is interpreted and used as sight. So if people can get their senses crossed doesn't that mean single senses could be flipped?

What do you think about this, and even if it is true could we ever find out? because its based on perception can you really find the difference in the same things between the same people?
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

People seeing colors differently could already be confirmed from people who are color blind, I think.

And if I remember correctly, I think animals/birds/etc.might also see colors in a different way as well...? Hmm... (I forget if they just view them brighter or not or what... but eh...?) I'm thinking about something from way back when I was in elementary school, so who knows...

I never thought people could see colors in a different way besides being color blind... Hmm..

I suppose it is worth looking up.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

mecurylighthouse

I figure theres some things people shouldnt know if but it deosnt mean we shouldnt stop searching but humanity needs to learn when to stop after all most humans use a small portion of theyre brains like some super genius probably uses 10% max ,some theroize that if we learn to use more thing like psycics or even super powers like flying super strength would be avilable to every one, imagine the choas that would cuase
      but the percption is intersting to like try looking at some that repeats a movement or pattern even the snow flakes on screen right now if i look closely they seem to slow down but if i just glance they seem fine some one else might think they speed up when looking thats just based on the individual  like the color blind example zman put we cant really know if some thing wrong usaully cuase that person thinks it normal but color blindness is something that can be tested for they just run a few tests on the retna of the eye for that
:Isaac: WHY!!!!!!...
                               :Felix: ...ummmm because

zman9000

The thing is other then being color blind which is just you can't tell the difference between red and green. but I'm saying what if you were born with the ability to see one color as another color and vise-verse. you could be looking at the same thing seeing it differently, but call it the same color. like what if that I see as red you see as my blue, but since its always been that way you would call that red because its red, it just mentally looks different.

This means you can't figure out if this is true or not. its not so much can we figure this out since yo can't, its more just interesting to think since it could be fact but wouldn't have any meaning unless you were to body swap with someone. and that would be the only way to tell.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

mecurylighthouse

actually the retna in the eye have differnt types each type reacts to a specific collor if they flash blue light and the red one responds thats how they know

zman9000

Yes but you are missing the major issue. That information is then converted and sent to the brain where it is processed. and the brain shows what color is what meaning some one with some kinda defect in their visual cortex might show red as blue and blue as red, but they would never know what they see is different because they always have seen blue as red and so it doesn't matter.

its not a matter of the eye its a matter of the brain, remember that what you see enters the brain upside down and it corrects for that. so a defect could do the something like mixing up colors.

mecurylighthouse

that how they know actually they can decipher those signal and your brain wves to determine what happens so yes that can be tested for :p

zman9000

No not yet. maybe in 20 years yeah, but they still don't have a clear enough picture of the human brain to get images off it let alone colored clear pictures. there have been cases that they were able to for a split second get a good picture off a brain but it was black/white and not detailed.

mecurylighthouse

well they can decipher enough already to test for that and they dont need colored images they just need to see how the brain react and where normaly and in the testee they can also test for mental disorders with CAT scans and stuuf like that  this is a subject i know alot about cuase i have Aspergers syndrome ADHD And im somewhat BiPolar so :P agian

Robert Joe

This is something that I have thought about myself before. There already exist people who are colorblind, and some people are more sensitive to shades of color than others. Therefore, I see no reason why it would not be impossible for people to see different shades of color entirely.

Although, it would be rather difficult to prove this, since anyone viewing the colors that others see will visualize them as the colors in their spectrum. Still, as you said, perhaps in about twenty years or so we may find out.

zman9000

@mercurylighthouse
QuoteAspergers syndrome ADHD
everyone on this site has some form of that stuff.

Quotewell they can decipher enough already to test for that and they dont need colored images they just need to see how the brain react and where normaly and in the testee they can also test for mental disorders with CAT scans and stuuf like that
Actually you are wrong, we don't yet have the detail to tell the specific area in the sight part of the brain to tell which color is which. I'll ask you to look into this some what before you comment back only because you are claiming things that aren't true and it takes me forever to explain why.

@Robert Joe
QuoteAlthough, it would be rather difficult to prove this, since anyone viewing the colors that others see will visualize them as the colors in their spectrum. Still, as you said, perhaps in about twenty years or so we may find out.
Ah I see you know what I'm trying to explain. though I understand why mercurylighthouse doesn't understand as the way to explain this is rather complicated.

O and I only say 20 years because of the anime Sword art online which takes place in 2022 and the first virtual reality game comes out and it kinda has to do with this kinda stuff... lol (though 20 years is s somewhat realistic time for us to map the human brain.)

Wolf

Quote from: zman9000 on 06, December, 2012, 06:45:34 PM
Can you be sure everyone has the same perception of time? And not with just time but what about color, and sound, and taste?
There are people who have their senses messed up and can taste sound, and hear a color, and feel a taste.
since this much is possible, it is also possible to the person that things aren't the same from person to person.

you could say that you see light thus it has to be that color, but you forget that the light hits sensors in your eyes and takes that information to the brain where it is interpreted and used as sight. So if people can get their senses crossed doesn't that mean single senses could be flipped?

What do you think about this, and even if it is true could we ever find out? because its based on perception can you really find the difference in the same things between the same people?

:NeutralStar: The many ways people keep track of time generally the same, but the way they perceive it can be different.  A child waiting in line with a parent for an hour might consider the wait to be longer than it actually is when compared to the parent.  Despite the difference of their perception an hour is still an hour.

:NeutralStar: You sort of answered the question.  Light bounces off of objects allowing us to take it in through our eyes and see color.  The minutiae of the eyes and the brain can change the levels of each color taken in thus giving people different, or very similar, perceptions of light.  The actual amount of color from light reflected or absorbed remains the same.

:NeutralStar: There are plenty of examples around you.  Sound can serve as another example.  The shape of your ears, and the environment around you, effect the sound-waves detected by them.  Even if two people had the same pair of ears their brains can react differently to the same sound.  That's one of the reasons why people favor different types of music.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

If we're just talking about species...
A question: How about monkeys? How much different do they see compared to humans? (Thinking of the theory of evolution, that I'm not convinced about... well, the one where humans were first monkeys...)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)