News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Golden sun base sprite?

Started by ObeSeeker, 26, December, 2012, 07:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ObeSeeker

Well me and some people from gamefaqs were talking about making a fan game for golden sun a while back. Since its based off of golden sun its not very original. I at-least wanted to make custom sprites but gs styled. I'm not talented with sprites at all, I spent 30 mins trying to make a sprite base. I think its pretty bad, I was wondering if anyone can help me with the bases? Ill take any form of assistance whether it be tips or the actual bases.

the other sprite is from a 30x30 base i copied.

Rolina

Well, the trick here is that you are taking the wrong approach - GS uses flattened 3D models for its sprites, so what you want to do is actually use 3D modeling software to create your sprite, not actual sprite work.  This is how GS has such detailed sprites - basically, the same way Donkey Kong Country on the SNES had them.

ObeSeeker

I guess I have my work cut out for me then..
Just the other day I tried making a cube with anim8tor.
This is going to be a pain..  :heart:

Rolina

Well, if you want, you can check with Atrius himself.  He used 3D Modeling software to create a few sprites for Kari:

As you can see, they look quite good, so he'd be able to give some good advice for the approach.

ObeSeeker

Wow! That looks very golden sun-ish I will definitely ask him/her.

That voice thing is hard to hear

I think i just sent a msg, Im not sure because my outbox is empty.
I dont really wanna spam duplicate msgs either..

Atrius (He/Him)

The models don't need to be very detailed.  For the most part I just used deformed versions of basic shapes.  I think the hardest part is the hair, and tweaking everything so it fits into 32x32 pixels without looking weird.

These weren't from the final model, I made some changes after these renders.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

ObeSeeker

Now that I think about it...
Wouldn't that be a quicker way for spriting everything?
If you dont mind, I will definitely use that model as 3D base

Atrius (He/Him)

It is a lot faster, once you have the model it's easy to pose it, and rotate it to generate all the sprites for the character.

I don't have access to the model files right now since I traveled to visit family for the holidays.  Also you should know they're in Maya's model format, and Maya is not a cheap program.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

ObeSeeker

3000 bucks :!:

my my.....

Hmm, guess Ill have to do more than simply spriting.

Rolina

Depending on the size of your team, you may have to do a lot more, especially if you're working from scratch.  Smaller teams, which groups making doujin games like you guys likely are, cannot afford to have a dedicated anything - everyone winds up having to chip in with a bit of everything.  This means that you'll likely want to learn some programming, some design aspects, and get very, very familiar with the mechanics of the original games you're trying to emulate.  Don't be afraid to have conversations about expanding the mechanics, either - one thing GS is very weak with is the power of psynergy - a bit strong in the beginning, decent at around Levels 20-30, but starting to be left behind by physical spells and skills in the late game.  By post game, only buffs and recovery spells are really viable - that's definitely something you'll want to look into bringing up with your group.

Look around the site and you'll find several approaches you can take posted by a few of us here (usually myself or Leaf, though).  Don't be afraid to look around for other ideas, too.

ObeSeeker

Sorry for the late reply Rolina :sad:

Well those guys bailed on me (sort of)

Well I already learned a lot about golden sun from gamefaqs.
Plus Ive played this game for half my life (Im 20)

I know this site has a lot of info. I lurked here a lot.  :happy:

That psynergy thing is a prob for post game
Ill look around on this site for the approaches you mentioned.

I have a long road ahead of me, I see years of working on this fan game lol

Rolina

Heh, I know how that feels.  Well, good luck on your project - here's to hoping that you pull off something great. ^-^

Misery

If you're not graphically inclined... my best advice would be to make a fun game with poor graphics, and then look into ways to improve the graphics.

Regarding 3D programs, you could use Blender (which is freeware), it can do everything you could possibly need for this. Whichever program you choose, there's a pretty steep learning curve, but if you have the time and patience to get through a few tutorials you should be fine.

ObeSeeker

Yeah that's the only way i can go about it. I'm hoping that a lot of people would be willing to help in that department If I prove that its worth it.

About blender, I literally just got it 5 minutes ago. I'm going to follow your advice about following tutorials and Ill see where that takes me.

Thunder-squall

Bumping this, because I think it's the best and fastest way to getting Golden Sun style sprites.  How many people on the site have used Blender?

What about the recent Sketch up: Make (http://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-make), which think is a spinoff from Google Sketch up. I assume it's more light-weight, and easier to learn.  I imagine it'll be able to capture the amount of detail required, but I haven't tested it myself.  It's targeted at hobbyists and kids, though the company does have more advanced products as well.