Golden Sun Hacking Community
February 18, 2020, 02:09:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Feature Preview Topic  (Read 116172 times)
Atrius
Programmer Extraordinaire
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

Coins: 100

Emblems: Website Founder
Clan Position: Creation God of Sol

« Reply #360 on: July 01, 2011, 12:11:33 AM »

How about right now?

I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything
View Profile WWW
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #361 on: July 01, 2011, 12:38:41 AM »

That does not make sense...

You can't open a ROM from the editor, so you have to open a ROM with the editor to get it to work?  What part of these two things is different?

Also, this is not the error reporting thread.

View Profile WWW
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 1000

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #362 on: February 08, 2013, 01:14:18 AM »

I thought it was sad to see this page fall back to Page 3, so I decided that maybe I could update it with a little something.

Meanwhile, while I was looking through the Map Editor code, and thinking about how to display the Event Initialization data, I decided that I should display more of the tilemap data. Ones that are associated with events, doors, and other interesting things you can interact with. Etc.

Basically, the data works like this.

00 = No boxes / Walkable space
FF = A box without a number.

All others are boxes with a hexadecimal number.

P.S. = I probably should note that I left the height map alone.

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.
View Profile
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #363 on: February 08, 2013, 01:38:58 AM »

P.S. = I probably should note that I left the height map alone.

Hence why the [2] on the elevated platform in the last screenshot looks like it's two cells lower than it should be.

It looks nice, does new layer 1 button at the top right of the map view toggle it's visibility?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 01:40:55 AM by Atrius » Logged

View Profile WWW
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #364 on: February 08, 2013, 01:47:05 AM »

Yeah, I know. If I had it so all the tiles go to the top of the height map, it wouldn't look right. See the [28] in the 2nd image? Yeah, that one would be raised as well. (I know because I un-commented a piece of code you had based off the height map calculation of the tile that's being mouse-overed.)

Not to mention that it would be difficult to edit tiles in places that you cannot see to begin with.

---

Yes, it does. I only did it with the surfaces feature though. (Aka: User Defined 3) (Is the alternate method (See User Defined 2) for displaying maps for crappy computers?)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 01:51:48 AM by Teawater » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 3

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #365 on: February 08, 2013, 01:58:35 AM »

Well, maybe there could be a heightmap toggle?  That way, you could click the toggle and it'd line up with the height map, so it's easier to read.  When you need to work on it again, click the toggle and it's a flat display...

View Profile WWW
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #366 on: February 08, 2013, 02:17:40 AM »

Perhaps, however, right now I have it so that when you mouse-over a tile, the tile at the top of the heightmap would be highlighted. None of the screenshots in the above picture show this, though. - I just had to modify Atrius's commented code just a little bit to get this going.

View Profile
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #367 on: February 08, 2013, 03:56:37 AM »

Yes, it does. I only did it with the surfaces feature though. (Aka: User Defined 3) (Is the alternate method (See User Defined 2) for displaying maps for crappy computers?)

Yes, some older graphics cards don't like surfaces so I had to write alternate drawing code for everything that used them.  Unfortunate because surfaces speed up drawing of some things quite a bit, and computers that don't support them are already probably slower.  I made it draw "Graphics card error" in red on the map editor if it was unable to use surfaces.

I just had to modify Atrius's commented code just a little bit to get this going.

Speaking of commented code there's a beast of an algorithm in User Defined 1.  I think it's from when I was experimenting with importing GS1 map data into TLA, or something to do with map editing...  It's been a long time.

View Profile WWW
Kioll
Pyromancer

I'm a Mars Adept! You know, red hair, bad temper?

Coins: 0

« Reply #368 on: February 08, 2013, 04:53:52 AM »

Get the map editor working and we might could just MAKE the original GS map in TLA.

I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #369 on: February 08, 2013, 03:03:37 PM »

Yeah, that would be a good idea, except, even in just one file (Ex: Map code file)  there can be a lot of stuff to edit when just replacing the file could be a simple procedure. I might want to warn you that GS1 has a higher unique tile limit than GS2, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, I have thought about this a little more... and what I'd like to try to do with the editor eventually is this.

-Maybe make the width of maps based on the data, and not their in-game size. - If I remember from my research a long time ago, I think there were some tile events outside of the map's boundaries? (I believe Mercury Lighthouse grabbed these via a Tile Mod.)
-Create a temp file for all the 8x8 tiles. (Which will be made from using the 2 in-game files.)
-I might include a unique tiles counter, so when replacing a tile, first check all tiles along with the old tile to determine if the counter should be decremented. And then do the same with the new tile to see if it should be incremented.
-Perhaps when you change to a new map or save, generate the two game files from using this temp file. And then load the new map.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 03:13:37 PM by Teawater » Logged

View Profile

« Reply #370 on: February 16, 2013, 01:53:48 AM »

I'm a little confused by discussion in this thread. Is the editor dead? And what are its current capabilities? I've been away for a few months (years?) so I'm wondering what has changed. Any map editing capabilities? Scripting? Objecting-editing? Capabilities to create new puzzles and content? and so on? Do we still need Role's class fix patch?
View Profile
Kain
The Dragoomba
Administrator

Boom Daze

Great Member

Coins: 5000012

Clan Position: Luna Overlord

« Reply #371 on: February 16, 2013, 03:52:43 PM »

Editor's done.  Atrius will no longer be updating it.  I do not know it's capabilities because I don't use it but I'm sure there's a list of what it can do somewhere.

You misspelled retard...oh the irony!
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #372 on: February 16, 2013, 04:42:20 PM »

I'm a little confused by discussion in this thread. Is the editor dead? And what are its current capabilities? I've been away for a few months (years?) so I'm wondering what has changed. Any map editing capabilities? Scripting? Objecting-editing? Capabilities to create new puzzles and content? and so on? Do we still need Role's class fix patch?
Kain is correct that Atrius stopped working on the editor. http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=2116.msg37980#msg37980

However, I wouldn 't say the editor is done, since there are plenty of things that the editor obviously doesn't support. (Like assigning music and battles to rooms... etc.) I'm planning on eventually making more updates to it, but I decided to wait for me to make a major release before announcing that I will be the next person in charge. Makes more sense doing it this way since I tend to procrastinate with big projects like this a lot.

View Profile

« Reply #373 on: February 16, 2013, 04:52:54 PM »

A 'major release', Teawater? Is  that a hint, or do you want to see other projects too? ;)
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #374 on: February 16, 2013, 05:05:59 PM »

Clearly, it means that if I'm unable to get a major release out, then there is no point on getting peoples hopes up...

View Profile

« Reply #375 on: February 16, 2013, 06:00:41 PM »

Alright, thanks Teawater. I'll continue to work with what I got. But just to confirm: adding new, custom boss fights are currently impossible? What about auto-linking the game? (Or is there any way to improvise the link-game events like the gladiator boss while still allowing the player to collect all djinn?)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 06:07:40 PM by Lishy » Logged
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #376 on: February 16, 2013, 06:29:01 PM »

Exactly what do you mean by boss fights, anyway?

If you mean things like assigning music, or multiple enemy slots to each turn of an enemy (Which is assembly coded, if I recall correctly.), then I guess it is not possible yet.

Also, I believe the data relating to the six events are held in storybook flags, so you could just simply use the debug menu tool in GS2 to enable them. Not that I actually tested it or anything. I will probably have to look up the Gladiator boss to remember exactly what you may be talking about, though.

Edit: Other than that, I think the answer to your question is no.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 06:35:34 PM by Teawater » Logged

View Profile

« Reply #377 on: February 16, 2013, 06:58:04 PM »

Exactly what do you mean by boss fights, anyway?

If you mean things like assigning music, or multiple enemy slots to each turn of an enemy (Which is assembly coded, if I recall correctly.), then I guess it is not possible yet.

Also, I believe the data relating to the six events are held in storybook flags, so you could just simply use the debug menu tool in GS2 to enable them. Not that I actually tested it or anything. I will probably have to look up the Gladiator boss to remember exactly what you may be talking about, though.

Edit: Other than that, I think the answer to your question is no.

Example boss fight: Star Magician. Interacting with it will trigger a fight with unique music. It could be something as simple as an NPC blocking your way in Airs Rock as long as it triggers a boss fight. Another example: Chest Beaters (the 1st boss.) Still not possible?

Also, for the events, is there a way to enable it without debug menu? I'm not fond of bandaid fixes. A player should be able to pick up a hack and enjoy it without cutting corners in my opinion. (By gladiator, I mean the GS1 Colosso guys ambushing you at Shaman Village.)

I'm also curious what could be done with flags, to say for example, force the player to do Inner Anemos Sanctum before receiving the ship wings, and disabling the door which requires all djinn without needing Djinn?
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #378 on: February 16, 2013, 07:12:52 PM »

@1: Oh, so you mean NPC/Event editing?

I think all that can be done by editing the map code. Which is editable with Atrius's editor (See Map Editor's Disassembler and Hex Editor.), but unfortunately, you'd have to understand some assembly.

@2: This should be doable by using assembly code to write to the flags.

@3: I assume that is also in the Map Code as well, but I would have to look into it to make sure, though.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 07:14:35 PM by Teawater » Logged

View Profile

« Reply #379 on: February 16, 2013, 07:24:24 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up, Teawater.

I have.. Some experience with ASM. But never with Golden Sun before. I'm sure I can get stuff done by copy pasting code and tweaking values though...

You wouldn't happen to have a guide for using the editor to do this, would you? Q_Q
View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Yesterday at 04:54:34 AM
Fox: I guess one thing this game has going for it is the Day and Night cycle.
Yesterday at 04:51:46 AM
Fox: Also, I noticed since the very beginning of the game, that usually the dresser drawers (whatever you call them) have items in them.
Yesterday at 04:48:20 AM
Fox: (And I only recently got Karn, the fourth PC.)
Yesterday at 04:36:01 AM
Fox: Was playing Breath of Fire I.... and I must say.... that game's pretty bland.... listening to the same songs basically everywhere... and multiple NPCs saying the exact same thing.  Most of it plays about the same... a maze with common useless items in chests, maybe you'll get one or two fine equipment, but yeah.  ... I want to check #II again later, the game I remember playing like... over a decade ago.
February 04, 2020, 08:06:18 AM
Salanewt: We're more active on the Discord though.
February 04, 2020, 08:06:01 AM
Salanewt: Oh hey! It does, yeah.
February 02, 2020, 06:42:38 PM
Mastermind: holy crap this place still exists?
December 24, 2019, 09:33:09 PM
Fox: Even just plain Editor work can make some difference. = At least these forums are indexed on the Search engine. I was also curious about whether to um... go through all the topics on these forums and take all the important stuff out/placed into a folder for a bit of organization. Would be a bonus since if something ever happened to this forum, or if we ever wanted to start afresh again, it wouldn't be that difficult to do so.
December 24, 2019, 09:23:03 PM
Fox: One thing is for sure. This place has become completely dead. (Mostly because of Discord.)  = I don't think much will happen with this forum unless I, Salanewt, or someone else does a thing.
December 24, 2019, 09:18:05 PM
Fox: Probably not?
December 24, 2019, 06:51:08 PM
Luna_blade: I suppose this is the last Christmas of this forum? 
December 24, 2019, 06:50:51 PM
Luna_blade: Yay thanks for the coins
December 19, 2019, 04:39:45 AM
Fox: Okay, another thought... "gsmagic" could be the code name/project name... and "Golden Sun Magic" could be the more formal official name... (As in using both names.)  -  I still need to look into these other games as well... so who knows if it could be better to call it Camelot Magic if those should ever be supported to a decent standard.  Would probably be a long time from now, though. As I can be pretty lazy.
December 18, 2019, 10:01:39 PM
Foreclosure: gsmagic is fine
December 17, 2019, 05:44:32 PM
Fox: Also. I call my program "gsmagic" and not "GSMagic" =P (Not asking for correction/I being silly)... Had to call it something, so picked something short.  Maybe I should rename it to Golden Sun Magic later. *shrug*
December 17, 2019, 05:35:04 PM
Fox: (And "Golden Sun" instead of "GS" to reduce confusion that would likely not be there anyway... when "Golden Sun" doesn't take up much space to start with. (Imagine being new and thinking GS meant GameShark, or some other oddity. Ew.)) - All just thoughts...I'm still going with most of this not mattering that much, though.
December 17, 2019, 05:12:55 PM
Fox: "Misc. GS Hacking" = That name looks odd, so I'd probably just go with "Golden Sun Hacking"
December 17, 2019, 05:08:05 PM
Fox: I tempted to also suggest the Editors can go in the first category. Since the Editor is the reason this place exists in the first place. (I think.)
December 17, 2019, 04:53:19 PM
Fox: (combined = Not meant to be taken literally... but rather.... to generalize things more, since it apparently looks like we don't need the extra space no one is using.)
December 17, 2019, 04:48:49 PM
Fox: Worse still... we've only used those for Golden Sun content.... and there's not much there.
December 17, 2019, 04:45:53 PM
Fox: E.g. Maybe everything in "Assets & Discussion" could be combined with "Creative Works".... I don't feel like sound and art apply to general hacking anyway... that only comes into play when you have tools to insert them.
December 17, 2019, 04:40:26 PM
Fox: categories and/or forums
December 17, 2019, 04:36:48 PM
Fox: Everything else seems to be about right, though. Perhaps some categories could be combined(?), but doesn't really matter that much.
December 17, 2019, 04:33:03 PM
Fox: (I still think The Community section fits best at the bottom. =P)
December 15, 2019, 05:10:04 PM
Salanewt: Heya! I'm planning to get the demo up today, but if you can't wait then it's already available on the Discord.
December 15, 2019, 04:12:27 AM
Fox: (Then sell the badges on the Trade Center for a very high price... and give a lot of active people coins to buy them with, so they can basically transfer the coins to me if they want something... Gosh I could be a naughty hoarder. =P)
December 15, 2019, 04:06:19 AM
Fox: I'd buy up all the stock for each item too... but man... I think I'm too lazy for that. =P
December 15, 2019, 04:01:24 AM
Fox: There we go. That should be all of them.
December 15, 2019, 03:25:32 AM
Fox: Duplicates will still show up as separate entries on the profile as well. Interestingly enough.
December 15, 2019, 03:18:25 AM
Fox: (Well, one of each badge, at least.)

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise