News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Dragon Quest Monsters

Started by Rolina, 04, August, 2009, 06:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

This is a thread for discussing the Dragon Quest Monsters series (AKA Dragon Warrior Monsters).  It is a monster tamer type game, focusing on befriending, training, and breeding the many monsters in the Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior series, from the lowly Slime, to even Final Boss types like Draco Lord.  The games in this series include:

GBC:
Dragon Quest Monsters:  Terry's Wonderland (US: Dragon Warrior Monsters)
Dragon Quest Monsters II:  Cobi's Journey (US:  Dragon Warrior Monsters II:  Cobi's Journey)
Dragon Quest Monsters II:  Tara's Adventure (US:  Dragon Warrior Monsters II:  Tara's Adventure)

GBA:
Dragon Quest Monsters III:  Caravan Hearts (JPN only)

NDS:
Dragon Quest Monsters:  Joker

Ah, I've been having quite a bit of bliss.  You see, I've finally scored myself a copy of Tara's Adventure, one of my all time favorite games (see the post in the Role's Rantings thread).  The thing is, I've always wondered if anyone else here plays it.  Or is interested.  Anywho, the second game is my personal favorite, though I need to find an english patch for the third one so I can play it, too.  I was kind of let down with Joker, though, with the name changes and HUGE cut in number of monsters... but I mean, DQM2 had TONS of monsters, so rendering all those in 3D along with all the new ones would have been a huge undertaking.

There's things I like in Joker, though, such as monsters that look at grandparents for breedings (such as Mumbo Jumbo and Behemoth Slime).  I thought that was pretty cool!  I'm kind of iffy on the Skills, though, since you only need skill points to learn skills.  I mean, I LOVE the variety of skills you can get with that system, but I also liked the stat requirement part of learning skills that you had in DQM1 and 2.  I was also kind of irritated with the main character... I mean, he looks like freaking Trunks from Dragon Ball... I mean, sure, it's got art done by the same artist, but still, he could try for a more original design, and at least give me the choice of playing as a girl!

Anywho, what are y'alls thoughts on the series?

Hoopa

It's an awesome series! I like the first two but the third is my favorite.  :happy:
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

Rolina

thenightsshadow

Nyaha~
Just finished the game about a month ago.  Joker, I mean.  The other two, as Sempai can attest to, are huge nostalgia bombs for me.
Don't bug me too much.  After all, the 'shadow is always Sirius.

Rolina

That'd be the fourth.

There were some good and some bad things about that one... I loved the scout system, hated how it only used physical attacks as the modifier.  Also hated the 'stat caps'.  I want my uberslime, dammit!

The fifth game is already out in Japan, will be coming here soon.

Sajin

Meh, I'm not a big fan of the Dragon Quest (Monster or not) series...
Anyway,  Role I don't know if already found a patch for Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Hearts but here it is: http://www.romhacking.net/trans/1252/

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Quote from: Role on 23, June, 2010, 02:54:56 AM
The fifth game is already out in Japan.
Japan get EVERY SINGLE GAME earlier than us, why do we ALWAYS have to wait AGES for games!?

Rolina

Nero, I wasn't aware that the united states and all those other non-japanese countries could speak japanese. It takes time to translate things - stop whining.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Do you ALWAYS have to be so critical? Also, not whining, I'm just saying that they always get games before us and that pisses me off. Ranting and whining are two different things. And I WASN'T saying ANYTHING about being able to speak japanese, all I was saying is why do they get games before the rest of the world.

Hoopa

Quote from: MegaDarkNero on 25, June, 2010, 04:50:35 PM
Do you ALWAYS have to be so critical? Also, not whining, I'm just saying that they always get games before us and that pisses me off. Ranting and whining are two different things. And I WASN'T saying ANYTHING about being able to speak japanese, all I was saying is why do they get games before the rest of the world.
...Um. Aren't the games MADE in Japan? They would obviously get it first then...
@Role: No, Caravan Hearts is my favorite. We get to go to the land of the first DQ trilogy! Plus there's sooo many more monsters... ^_^
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

Rolina

GEH!  SO NOT FAIR!  WHY, ENIX, WHY?

@Nero:  Yes.  Yes, that's just how I am.  Do TRY to think before you post - there's usually a reason why things happen the way they do.  Me?  I get QUITE annoyed when people fail to see the obvious.

Salanewt

There are multiple Dragon Quest Monsters games, right? Could someone please suggest which one a beginner should try first?

Also, Japan does not technically get all of the good games first. In fact, Super Mario Galaxy 2 came out four days in North America before Japan (we got it on the 23rd, they got it on the 27th of May).

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

IF you can find it, play DQM2.  It's so much fun - however, it's a rather old game, for the GBC, and it took me a couple years to find a replacement copy after my parents tossed my old one.

Best you can get right now is probably going to be Joker.

Also:  You're not helping.  In fact, you're missing the point. 99.9% of ALL games made in japan get released in japan first, and get ported if they do well.  Games that get a global release are that last remaining 0.1%.

Salanewt

QuoteIF you can find it, play DQM2.  It's so much fun - however, it's a rather old game, for the GBC, and it took me a couple years to find a replacement copy after my parents tossed my old one.

Best you can get right now is probably going to be Joker.

Okay, thanks. I shall see what I can do to find it, but I doubt I will be able to.

Also:  You're not helping.  In fact, you're missing the point. 99.9% of ALL games made in japan get released in japan first, and get ported if they do well.  Games that get a global release are that last remaining 0.1%.

Oops, sorry.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Hoopa

Quote from: Role on 26, June, 2010, 01:39:54 AM
IF you can find it, play DQM2.  It's so much fun - however, it's a rather old game, for the GBC, and it took me a couple years to find a replacement copy after my parents tossed my old one.

Really? Wow, it's a good thing I still have both versions then. ^_^

@Salanewt: I agree with Role, you should start with DQM2. I prefer Cobi's version, as I believe it has some stronger monsters you can catch than in Tara's.

Rolina

While Tara's has monsters with a higher base INT, Cobi's has monsters with a higher base ATK.  Cobi's hit harder with physical and breath attacks (but don't attack as intelligently), Tara's attack smarter (and do more damage with spells).  HOWEVER, thanks to the breeding system, you don't even need the other version to get everything anyways.