News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Hello GSHC!

Started by Legend, 01, February, 2013, 11:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legend

My name is Legend, I have been a Golden Sun fan since the first year it came out. I got The Lost Age and Dark Dawn right when they came out, and I think i played through TLA like at least 20 times. TLA was my favorite Golden Sun game.
I'm not a very good hacker, but I'm currently in college with a major of computer science, so I have experience with Notepad++, Java, and C++ is that counts for anything.
I don't know what else to say here. If anyone is familiar with Xbox, I'm a huge video game nerd, and could tell you everything about Halo, which I am obsessed with lol.
Oh, and I consider myself a Mercury adept. And I'm in love with Mia. lol.
Thanks!

Knight of Purgatory

Hello legend, I personally prefer Megiddo myself. But it's nice to see a new member
MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Greetings and Salutations, Legend! Yeah, programming languages (like Java and C++) are one step to hacking. If you are trying to make an editor, anyway.

The biggest part of hacking is understanding how to find data in a game. While you could just go with the trial and error method to find data, there are usually much better methods like using a debugger (VBA-SDL-H for the GBA emulator.).
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

RagnarokEmissary

Quote from: Knight of Purgatory on 02, February, 2013, 12:59:39 AM
Hello legend, I personally prefer Megiddo myself.
Purgatory is the coolest Unleash, IMO. Tossing the sun at people is cool and all, but I'd rather just fry their arses to a friggin' crisp with Purgatory.

Misery

Your name is... Legend? Oh well, welcomed be thee.
You can't use high-level programming languages directly for hacking, but with the knowledge you have, you might be able to help out with the editor. And as Teawater says, it's a step in the right direction - the same general concepts are used, since ultimately, all computers work the same way.
If you want to join the Mercury clan, I'd be happy. We're a little low on members right now.

Legend

Thanks for the greetings, guys! I'm usually active throughout the day on weekdays. On weekends, it's mostly late at night, so I'll look around later.

Oh, and I'd love to join the Mercury Clan.

ElectricArcher

Welcome! Love your screen name. I've used a similar name myself in the past :D
Also love your choice of editor - I'd never get anything done without Notepad++, it's the best! But I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree with your Mia and Mercury choices. Jenna and Jupiter are more awesome! :)

I'm pretty new to hacking and GSHC, but as a programmer myself I can tell you (at the risk of repeating Misery and Teawater) that it seems to me that all our high-level programming won't avail us much here. Understanding algorithms and being able to think like a computer, though, ought to help you considerably. Especially if you simply want to use the Golden Sun Editor, in which case you don't actually have to do any programming yourself, but you will need to understand, predict, and/or infer how the game reacts to changes in data.

In any case, it's always nice to meet a fellow video game nerd. I was never lucky enough to own an Xbox myself, but I always loved playing Halo with my friends. And 20 TLA playthroughs is very respectable! Though it'll take a lot more than that to top my record, haha. I had way too much free time in college with nothing better to do... I used to speed-run through TLA on Easy mode to collect stat-boosting consumables in order to superpower my party - no glitches or cheating involved. I must be beyond 40 runs by now... Not counting the other dozen or so real playthroughs on Normal or Hard mode.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

QuoteUnderstanding algorithms and being able to think like a computer, though, ought to help you considerably.
Well, sort of like a computer, but we are instead converting the machine code into assembly (See VBA's Disassembler), which to me, is easier than trying to figure out the bit values for each instruction.  Anyway, assembly isn't really too different from how any other language works. Except for how it is written.

For example, a call might be like this:

do_this_call(0x20,0x40,0x66)

and the assembly version. (Atleast for GBA's THUMB) would be this:

mov r2, 0x66
mov r1, 0x40
mov r0, 0x20
bl $08123450 //Points to do_this_call function.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Robert Joe

Welcome! Hopefully you will like it here.

Another Halo fan! Although, I have to admit that I have not played Halo 4 yet...

Legend

Quote from: ElectricArcher on 02, February, 2013, 01:55:27 PM
Welcome! Love your screen name. I've used a similar name myself in the past :D
Also love your choice of editor - I'd never get anything done without Notepad++, it's the best! But I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree with your Mia and Mercury choices. Jenna and Jupiter are more awesome! :)

Yeah, Notepad seems like one of the better editors compared to what other people use.
And Jenna is my second favorite!
:happy:
:Mia:

And is there something wrong with quotes? I can't seem to put in more than one quote when inside a reply.

But yes, Halo 4 was okay. I like the others much better, because in this Halo, it seems as if you were always in danger, always rushing through (If that makes sense).
Spartan Ops seems to be very well made, however.

ElectricArcher

Quote from: Legend on 02, February, 2013, 11:16:17 PM
And is there something wrong with quotes? I can't seem to put in more than one quote when inside a reply.

Yeah, I don't really understand the quote system, but then I'm definitely NOT a forum wizard. So far, when I want to use multiple quotes I just manually type the quote tag, like it's html. You can even add in the extra info yourself, no problem:

Quote from: ElectricArcherLook! I can quote myself using "[q.uote author=ElectricArcher]  [/q.uote]"! Minus the period of course.

Aile~♥

Purgatory? Really, Ragnarok? I mean, Emerald Blitz is so much cooler! Also, Life Shear.

Anyway, welcome to the forums, Legend! Have fun, post lots, do stuff, etc.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

RagnarokEmissary

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 03, February, 2013, 09:04:05 AM
Purgatory? Really, Ragnarok? I mean, Emerald Blitz is so much cooler!
Emerald Blitz? Centurion kicks its @#$% all the way into next year. And then there's Titan Blade, Lunar Slash, Reverse Star, and Rising Dragon.

Kain

Welcome to GSHC, read the rules, enjoy your stay, don't feed the yao guai and whatever you do, stay away from the docks.
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

Rolina

Hey Legend.  Nice to see ya here.

Kioll

Hi, name's Kioll.  Don't worry too much about most of the people here.  Some can be annoying, but they're harmless.  Your high-level coding skills can actually be more useful than the others let on, depending on how detailed you want to get with your work.  Like, my project, for example, is from scratch.  Also, it can help you understand, use, and even rewrite in-game formula, like how damage is done or whatever, if that's what interests you.  I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be too hard to find the help you need to get the project you want to do done.  Unless of course you need graphics help.  Because seriously.  Who CAN find graphics help these days?
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

Rolina

Ugg, don't even get me started on that.  Graphics and Music are gonna be the death of us...

Legend

Quote from: Rolina on 05, February, 2013, 08:25:10 PM
Ugg, don't even get me started on that.  Graphics and Music are gonna be the death of us...

I haven't had experience with coding of that sort, or even coding video games in general. lol.
But I want to learn! And I thought starting with one of my favorite video games would be perfect.
Although college takes up most of my time; I don't have much free time. Mostly on weekends at night.

Kioll

My college year was much the same way.  And I didn't get you started, Role.  And to be fair, I couldn't care less about music for my project.  Snag the original music tracks and I'm happy.  If I even put in THOSE.
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

Legend

Yeah, isn't college great?
And do you guys make your own music?