News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Request - DD characters with TLA idle sprites?

Started by Rolina, 07, February, 2013, 04:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

Heya everyone.  Remember way back when, when Atrius made this little gem?

Well, I was wondering... what if one of us made one for the Dark Dawn cast?  It could be Atrius or anyone else with a similar program, really.  It'd be kinda cool to have the DD cast in GS style sprites - much better than the sprite they have in-game (try to change your team in mid-battle and you can see them - they're much more "flat" compared to the TLA sprites).  Plus, these could be used like we use the emotes now.

Anyone interested in whipping up some art then?  Of course, it'd need to follow TLA palette rules, so throw an ask by Atrius as to how to get that done (unless of course, you're him and thus already know).

Kioll

I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

Rolina

Yes, I have.  My computer can't handle the software.  You could try not attacking me every time I make a new thread, Kioll.

Kioll

I honestly wasn't attacking you.  And the software that you want may be hard to handle, but you might be able to get something almost as good that you can handle.  Or afford, depending.  Like, I use Paint.NET instead of Photoshop.  Get it for free, and it can do the same things.  There's even a plugin that lets it open .psd files.  I don't know what program Atrius used for that sprite, but I'm sure there's something you can use instead.  And if I was any good at pixel art, I'd give it a shot.  But seriously.  Give it a shot.  Find a program and give it a shot.  You might actually be good at it.
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

Misery

What software have you tried? 3D modeling tools have been in use for over a decade, I'd be surprised if your computer couldn't handle them.
If it's just for the idle poses though, you could just as well pixel draw them. It's a lot more straightforward, trust me on that one.

I could do this, but I'm not really interested. I don't have much affection for the DD playable cast.

Rolina

Well, considering that I make ~$800-850 a month right now, no.  I can't afford any software.  I do have Paint.NET, but it doesn't have 3D Modeling, and I've not found any freeware that actually works properly on my computer.  I've tried several, but... when I say my computer is crap, I mean it was outdated when I got it.  It's REALLY bad.

The other issue is that I have no talent for art.  There's a reason I pay people to do art for me.

Misery

I'd once again recommend Blender (even though I'm not very good at using it), but that would be kind of missing the point.

Doesn't sound like you'll have much success on your own.
And not to be mean, but I don't think anyone here will do it either.
Tough luck, I guess -.-

Atrius (He/Him)

For the record I use Maya which is ridiculously expensive.  I was going to a school for digital animation at the time, and got it at a student discount which helped A LOT.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Kioll

Now that you mention it, Autodesk is free if you're a student.

Rolina

I'm not a student.  Won't be until summer, and even then, I'll not be an art student, so it may not even apply.

Oh, and once again. I SUCK AT ART.  If I could do this myself, I wouldn't be asking.

Misery

Yes, I think you've made yourself quite clear. Anyway, what you would need to make this isn't software or skill, it's knowledge and time. But since you're not planning to try, all you can do is wait for someone else to get interested enough to do it. Which I realize is exactly what you're doing right now.

Kioll

Autodesk doesn't care what your field of study is.