News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Legend Of Zelda - Sprite Images

Started by Majora, 11, February, 2013, 04:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Majora

Working on some of the overworld character models now, looking pretty sweet:

Character Portraits

Ghirahim (Skyward Sword, 2011)

Ghirahim

Princess Zelda

Zelda (young)

Zelda

Sheik (unveiled)

Malon (Ocarina Of Time, 1998)

Malon (young)

Malon

Midna (Twilight Princess, 2006)

Midna (without hood)

Midna (with hood)

Kokiri (Ocarina Of Time, 1998)

Kokiri Boy

Saria (no blend)

Gerudo (Ocarina Of Time, 1998)

Gerudo Guard

Gerudo Guard (alternate, unveiled)

Gerudo Guard (unveiled)

Gerudo Guard (alternate)

Battle Sprites

'Baleful Mushroom'

Zelda (w./w/o. blade)

'Son of Adrian', a request from Saturos

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Despite how closely they resemble the GS characters, they do look quite interesting. Nice work!

Zelda = Jenna
Gerudo Guard = Karst

Thinking if this belongs in the GS Hacking forum or should it go in Creative Works? (Like some other GS sprite-making topics?)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Majora

Quote from: Teawater on 11, February, 2013, 09:46:35 AM
Despite how closely they resemble the GS characters, they do look quite interesting.

You appear indifferent - do you find that particularly displeasing or something

Rolina

It could use some work to make them look like their namesakes I think is what they're saying.  But it's on the right track, though.

Majora

I'm sure he's capable of speaking for himself; not to impugn the value of your input, dear, which is of course equally-appreciated

That is true, but I am glad that Role is doing the talking for me. :) (Even if it isn't exactly what I would have said.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Majora

Don't have to explain yourself lmao, only having a laugh with you
Think your word choice was the main instigator there, with the 'despite' statement & all that.  Clearly wasn't intended to come across as condescending or anything of that nature, I'm sure

Completely understand your recommendations as well. 
The main idea with reworking these images here wasn't to completely defect from Golden Sun's general style in favour of the Legend Of Zelda series', but rather to integrate the characters from the latter into the aforementioned without betraying the overall tone of either game, in such a manner that still works well within the stylistic structure Golden Sun has going on. 
Felt as though reworking the original images was the best M.O. to go about achieving such results, as opposed to working from scratch & potentially losing the many artistic intricacies that make Golden Sun such a rad series

Aile~♥

[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Kioll

Nice images, I think you're doing well for your goal.  And yes, people still use "rad".  Just like people still use "burn" and other things.  Slang is slang.  It may go out of use, but it doesn't go away.
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

Majora

Rolina

Quote from: Teawater on 12, February, 2013, 01:45:28 AM
That is true, but I am glad that Role is doing the talking for me. :) (Even if it isn't exactly what I would have said.)
I'm sorry... "talking for you?"

It was suppose to be a compliment.

(Not sure why you ask, but by "talking for me"... I meant that you responded to a question Majora was asking me. Saving me the time of day to figure out how I wanted to answer it.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Majora

QuoteI'm sorry... "talking for you?"

Only joking around love, all in good humour

Majora

Thunder-squall

sweet.  I can't say they look like any Zelda or Link we know from existing games, but they definitely look like versions of Zelda or Link.

Are you mostly just modifying visuals, or are you using these in specific projects?

Majora

Yep, all custom, except for the Link model, which is already in the game.  Can imagine it was some kind of early NPC test model.
The idea is to work all the Zelda material into the game in a way that makes it work with Golden Sun's visuals. Glad to hear they seem to be doing pretty well so far.  

I would make a copy of the edited ROM with the new material available here, not sure if there's an anti ROM-sharing thing going on though.  May have to convert it into a patch or something like that.  Can make the new sprite sheets available as well if necessary (with the file names corresponding to the character and numbered sprites they would be replacing).

Will be pretty sweet once it's all together.  Not sure how to go about replacing the in-game character portraits though.  Will have to get Teawater in on it, see if it can be done with the current version of the editor.

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Majora on 05, January, 2014, 06:47:56 PMnot sure if there's an anti ROM-sharing thing going on though.
What's that all about?

Majora

http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=3.0

Should be pretty simple to patch. 
Still working on finishing off the basic sprites for Zelda's model before getting into any of that.  Have about twenty-four done so far. 
Fine-tuning her walking animation sprites as well, getting her to move in as fluid and graceful a manner as possible.  Can make a demonstration patch for it once that's all done.

Quote from: Majora on 05, January, 2014, 06:47:56 PMWill be pretty sweet once it's all together.  Not sure how to go about replacing the in-game character portraits though.  Will have to get Teawater in on it, see if it can be done with the current version of the editor.
Atrius's Golden Sun TLA Editor, version 0.5, is the only editor I know of that supports making custom sprites. This, however, doesn't include portraits.

My new editor plan hasn't even touched on sprites yet.

For hackers who are interested in studying sprites, the bulk of it is at 08300000 in the ROM. (00300000 in a hex editor.) Sadly, portraits are stored elsewhere, so they won't be editable in Atrius's editor.

I think the portraits might be compressed as well? Either way, they can be located easily with SDL-H had their address location been unknown.

-VisualBoyAdvance to check VRAM
-SDL-H to breakpoint on VRAM
-Scan code upwards to find references of where data is coming from.
-If coming from RAM, breakpoint on the RAM data next, which then usually gives you a ROM address.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Majora

Good man, good man.
Yeah, I remember reading something about the portrait data being compressed separately like that before. 
May look into it myself when the chance presents itself, working on a few pieces using a sixty piece orchestra at the moment