News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

How would I Insert a Boss fight into an event

Started by VanishMantle, 23, March, 2013, 03:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanishMantle

I want to add a boss fight to the tablets at each of the Elemental Rocks in the game. The only problem is I am not sure where exactly or what exactly I need to look at in order to do that. If anyone has an idea of how to go about this I would be very grateful.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

I believe what you are wanting can be done in Map Code. I probably should warn you that the instructions below are vague, but just a quick push to get you in the right direction, provided you actually have general experience with Hex Hacking.

Go to GS Editor's Map Editor;
Click on Code Pointers;
In the rooms you wish to make edits to, check the Event Initialization pointers.

Yadda-yadda-yadda...

Ofcourse, you'd have to find the correct entry that matches the object you are editing in-game. ; ("Objects" as in.. warps, NPCs, tile events, etc.)
When that's found, you take note of the Pointer that points to code,... (Assuming that the entry links to code.) Yes, in-fact, the boss battles are coded in thumb assembly. Pretty much a function call to the Battle Mechanics code, if I recall correctly... It's been quite awhile since I even looked into it, so...
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

VanishMantle

@Teawater: That helps some though I am really new to Hex editing. Or rusty i should say. I haven't touched it in years and when i was learning I didn't get too far with it. I'll look into it though and do some trial and error to see what i get.

EDIT: Also what Hex Edition program would you recommend?

I believe all you need is VisualBoyAdvance's Memory Viewer to help with trial-and-error,
and the GS Editor for the actually editing of the data via the Map Editor's Hex Editor. (It only includes Map Code though.)
..and lastly, the Dissassembler if you mess with code... (Available on VBA and the GS Editor.), but you would have to learn what the instructions mean. (In which case, I can start you off by saying the bl instruction is for calling functions.)

But if you insist on using a Hex Editor program, I usually use Windhex, but I do not really recommend it. (It only displays in byte format anyway.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

VanishMantle

Ah okay thanks for the tips I will look into those things thanks for the help though. I will try without hex editing first then go from there.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that Map Code is compressed, so your best bet is to edit via Atrius's editor. Thus rendering any other Hex Editors useless.

(In VBA's Memory Viewer, Map Code is decompressed to 02008000)

Anyway, you are welcome.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden