News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Back with some questions!

Started by HyperMushrambo, 16, July, 2013, 04:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HyperMushrambo

Well hello there forum! I have been gone for a VERY long time. (My last year of college kinda kicked me in the face) I have some questions that I've tried to answer myself through going through previous threads or just screwing around with the editor myself, but I haven't found concrete answers so hopefully I can ask these WITHOUT annoying the pants off of anyone. Some of these are questions I think I had answers to before but I've forgotten over time.
First off: In the page for the downloads it goes up to version 0.4, but I have a folder with .5beta, is this something that I previously mislabeled, still a beta, or something finished? I seem to remember using this one to do my editing but I can't remember for sure and I want to make sure I'm using the right one.
Second: Did we ever figure out how to edit character map sprites or is that still beyond the Editor's capabilities?
Third: With the Class Separation Patch, how exactly does it work? Where do the classes split to so I can edit them individually? (I know I didn't have this one before)
Fourth: When using the items such as the Mysterious Card or Trainer's Whip the needed Djinn across the board are the same number, even though I know they have different requirements, how can I fix this? (I was going to use this as an optional easy way to give Isaac and Ivan unique classes without having to figure out the separation patch) I would like to set it so it just requires different amounts of one djinn or two. (Unless it's been so long that I quite literally forgot how these items worked with the djinn, but though I don't remember it requiring all 4 elements I could be entirely mistaken)
Fifth: So, we have some map editing from what I've seen throughout, but I didn't find a topic dedicated to how the map editing works. Has that been worked out or am I just VERY stupid and completely missed something?
Sixth: Is it possible to load in previously main character sprites as enemy sprites? I seem to remember being unable to do this before for some reason and so rather than having Felix and Jenna as enemies I just chose different Saturos and Menardi palettes for them (Though this might be because I had already altered the Felix and Jenna sprites to put in Karst and Agatio instead.)
Seventh: Somehow, while I was messing with things originally, I edited it so that Karst's character picture popped up instead of Jenna's when she talked. How on earth did I do that? I changed all the character speech and menu portraits for all the main characters. I've been looking all over the editor and I can't figure out for the life of me how I did that. Also, can it be done for npcs and enemy characters?
Last: Does the text viewer work to edit the in-game text? I'd like to change some things in there (without getting too crazy because DAMN that thing is confusing and it would take a loooot of work to heavily edit it) but I wanted to make sure it's safe before I start screwing with anything.

I wish I'd just kept up my editing so that all of my things didn't get mixed up but sadly life got in the way and now I'm almost as clueless as I was when I first started out. I'm not even sure where in the threads to pick up half of the info that I had before. So my sincerest apologies if I'm asking dumb questions. Thanks in advance for the help.
Az

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

1: Yes, the latest official version is 0.5 Alpha, and it was posted in the News and Announcements forum.  And I probably should note that Atrius is no longer working on it due to other priorities.

2: Double click the sprites in the Map Editor? & Check the Sprite Editor?

3: I think without it, all the characters of the same element use the same classes, except for when Jenna has the Flame User set in her base class, and Piers has something else in his base class. ; Separating them makes all the classes that Party 2 can use separate from Party 1. (You just have to add 20 to the class type value for classes that Party 2 should access, I think.)

5: Well, you can't do map editing yet in any of the released versions, unless you are talking about editing map code/NPCs.

7: Click Jenna's sprite in the Sprite Editor, then click her portrait.

8: Chances are yes, but I may need to double check. The text does get replaced when editing them in the text editor, anyway.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Misery

Third: With the Class Separation Patch, how exactly does it work? Where do the classes split to so I can edit them individually? (I know I didn't have this one before)
From my understanding, the patch makes the TLA party get a different set of class type values (which as Teawater said, is the same as the old values but with 20 added to them). This means it's possible for all characters to have completely exclusive classes. However, you have to make sure you make classes for both parties, or some characters will end up in the NPC class.

Fourth: When using the items such as the Mysterious Card or Trainer's Whip the needed Djinn across the board are the same number, even though I know they have different requirements, how can I fix this? (I was going to use this as an optional easy way to give Isaac and Ivan unique classes without having to figure out the separation patch) I would like to set it so it just requires different amounts of one djinn or two. (Unless it's been so long that I quite literally forgot how these items worked with the djinn, but though I don't remember it requiring all 4 elements I could be entirely mistaken)
While the djinn required to access the item classes differ among characters, the elemental level requirements have always been the same. Every character naturally starts out with 5 levels in their own element and 0 in the others. Every set djinni adds one level of that djinni's element. The final tiers of the item classes require 3 of every element, but since every character already has 5 levels of one element, they only need 3 of everything else.

Sixth: Is it possible to load in previously main character sprites as enemy sprites? I seem to remember being unable to do this before for some reason and so rather than having Felix and Jenna as enemies I just chose different Saturos and Menardi palettes for them (Though this might be because I had already altered the Felix and Jenna sprites to put in Karst and Agatio instead.)
You can't replace the actual graphics data of most enemy sprites with the editor, but you can make any enemy use any sprite.

QuoteLast: Does the text viewer work to edit the in-game text? I'd like to change some things in there (without getting too crazy because DAMN that thing is confusing and it would take a loooot of work to heavily edit it) but I wanted to make sure it's safe before I start screwing with anything.
Yes, you can use the editor to change any text. You can't replace it with just anything though, it has to work with the game's text compression. What exact words you use has a bigger effect on the compression than the actual length of the text. Btw, you can search for text, so it never has to take long to find.

ElectricArcher

Quote from: Misery
From my understanding, the patch makes the TLA party get a different set of class type values (which as Teawater said, is the same as the old values but with 20 added to them). This means it's possible for all characters to have completely exclusive classes. However, you have to make sure you make classes for both parties, or some characters will end up in the NPC class.

Correct, mostly. The two parties will have entirely separate classes, meaning that Isaac's classes are completely different from Felix's, etc.
Certain classes will still be shared, however: Felix and Jenna will have the same Venus/Mars combination classes, Ivan and Mia will share their Jupiter/Mercury combo classes, and so forth.

Rolina made a class template patch that basically blank fills every single one of these classes for you (big thanks to Role for that, by the way!). The downside to this is that you have to re-set the psynergy, stats, and names of every single class. I also experienced some bugs when I used that patch (a few classes had incorrect class type values), though that might have been a localized problem.

It may be useful to you to look up my hack and use it as an example; I have a text file to go with it that documents exactly which characters get which class lines, so perhaps that will help.

KyleRunner

Quote from: Misery on 17, July, 2013, 05:36:58 AM
Yes, you can use the editor to change any text. You can't replace it with just anything though, it has to work with the game's text compression. What exact words you use has a bigger effect on the compression than the actual length of the text. Btw, you can search for text, so it never has to take long to find.
[/quote]

If you use the new GSTOOLKIT created/edited by Atrius (thanks again, Atrius), you can edit the text freely! It adds uncompressed text in the rom, so the compression does not matter.
You can find this program in the download section.

Misery

Quote from: ElectricArcher on 18, July, 2013, 01:52:48 PM
Correct, mostly. The two parties will have entirely separate classes, meaning that Isaac's classes are completely different from Felix's, etc.
Certain classes will still be shared, however: Felix and Jenna will have the same Venus/Mars combination classes, Ivan and Mia will share their Jupiter/Mercury combo classes, and so forth.
I think that's effectively what I was trying to say, but I take back the "every character can have exclusive classes" (it really only makes the two parties get exclusive classes).

@HyperMushRambo: For more clarity, there's actually a guide to the separation patch. Also, Atrius made this post detailing how the game figures out class type values. Useful if you want some more insight in how class sorting works.

Quote from: KyleRunner on 18, July, 2013, 07:12:52 PM
If you use the new GSTOOLKIT created/edited by Atrius (thanks again, Atrius), you can edit the text freely! It adds uncompressed text in the rom, so the compression does not matter.
You can find this program in the download section.
That's pretty awesome, thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't checked up on what the GSTOOLKIT actually does, so I didn't know.

KyleRunner

Yes, it is a great tool!
I'm very used to it, so feel free to ask me anything about it.

HyperMushrambo

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the info.
I remember not being able to change the map sprites before but now I totally am by double-clicking and I have no idea why I couldn't before.

You guys have well solved all of the problems I was having. I'll probably post if I have any more issues. Thank you so very much for the links and the tips. I feel so much left in the dark. Sorry that it took me a while to reply, my home no longer has internet so I can only check the forum and facebook and such while on campus. I'll read over the links tonight and see if I can pick up where I left off. Again, thanks so much!

blackrose

While the djinn required to access the item classes differ among characters, the elemental level requirements have always been the same. Every character naturally starts out with 5 levels in their own element and 0 in the others. Every set djinni adds one level of that djinni's element. The final tiers of the item classes require 3 of every element, but since every character already has 5 levels of one element, they only need 3 of everything else.