News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Is this possible?

Started by Rolina, 10, November, 2008, 04:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Awec

Thanks, although I have no idea how to change sprites in that fashion (and am limited to what the editor can do, since I'm at most a novice when it comes to hacking). Also, a couple more things.
A) Can you change who Master Hama teaches reveal to? Since I swapped Isaac and Ivan around, but she'll still teach Ivan it despite the fact that "it can only be learned by Jupiter adepts", and his new alignment is Venus.
B) Would it be possible to change the order in which you receive djinn, so that in above-mentioned scenario I could have a Jupiter djinn join instead of Flint, first.
C) Could you change sprites depending on what the character is wearing, similarly to the weapons thing? For this I'm just interested to know, I doubt I would have the patience to implement it if it's possible.
I. Am. A. Spoon.
Yes, a spoon that is awesome that is a Jupiter adept that is one of the Anemos that lives on the freaking moon.
What of it?

Griever

A) Maybe if you know the place to edit and you might need to change the code ><

B) Again not sure but might be something to do with coding.

C) ... its a GBA game not a mmo. And i don't know

Awec

Would it be possible to port the entirety of the first game over to the second game's engine (and perhaps even still have password transfer)?
Since the second game has a better engine, more space and (apparently) better organization, it might encourage people to hack the first game as well.
I. Am. A. Spoon.
Yes, a spoon that is awesome that is a Jupiter adept that is one of the Anemos that lives on the freaking moon.
What of it?

Salanewt

Awec: I think Atrius was working on that, actually. There might be a topic around if you want to find out. I am not quite sure if he is still doing it though.

vladu: Probably, have you tried changing the icons used? I have a strange feeling that the icons might be assigned to weapons for this use. If not, then I am not sure.

And now I might have a question. Would it be possible to create more world map space? Kind of like what they did for Prox and Lemuria, but on a larger scale.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

[imgright]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/AtriusV/Games/Golden%20Sun%20Project/TolbiTLA.png[/imgright]
@Awec: I've done experiments importing maps from GS into TLA, with some success (See Tolbi in TLA screenshot to the right) but a LOT of conversion work is necessary, more than is even possible with my knowledge of the ROMs at the moment.  In the end I decided it would take far more effort than it was really worth.

@Vladu: I have located the data associated with that, however it is NOT linked to the items icon, or at all editable in current versions of the editor.  The ability to edit it will be added to a future version.

@Salanewt:
[imgleft]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/AtriusV/Games/Golden%20Sun%20Project/TLA_WorldMap_th.png[/imgleft]

This is the entire world map as it is stored in the ROM, Prox & Lemuria included.  As you can see there is a considerable amount of empty space that could be filled, however you cannot increase the size.

The total area available is 8192x8192.  The actual world map used in-game, excluding Prox, Lemuria, e.t.c, is approximately 5376x5120
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

Wow, quite spacious. Thanks for the information Atrius! I guess I better start plotting then...

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

D2J

@Atrius: Can You At Least Actually Edit Maps??? Like Put A Mountain Range In The Middle Of Water??? JW

Atrius (He/Him)

This posting the same question in multiple places thing is starting to irritate me, D2J.

Quote from: Atrius on 16, December, 2010, 04:51:40 PM
That video is just the result of my experimenting, and proof of concept work for what will eventually become the map editing section of the TLA editor.  For the sole purpose of just figuring out the basics of how to eventually make map editing possible I had programmed myself a bunch of crappy experimental tools to handle the harder parts of the task.  Even so I still had to do quite a bit of manual hex editing, and stitching data from another map into my custom one it just to get it working.

Quote from: Atrius on 18, December, 2010, 11:10:41 AMAs far as map editing goes, the editor is still fairly early in development, there's a reason the current version is 0.3 instead of 1.3 or 3.0.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

D2J

-Oh Ok, So A Long Ways To Go. No Prob. And Sorry. I Just Never Get(Got) Complete Answer.

Awec

Is it possible to expand the game or do some crazy hacking to allow more party members? I'm just wondering for this, since I definitely don't have the skills to do it, but it'd be nice if it was possible.
Also, would it be possible to allow an item to give more than one psynergy to a person?
Finally, is it possible to expand the djinn menu so that you could actually use the dummy djinn?
I. Am. A. Spoon.
What of it?

D2J

-To The Guy Above, You Can't Add. You Can Change Who They Are Tho. But Don't Keep Asking That Q. People Around Here Have Attitudes. LOL But Yeah On The Djinns, Is There A Way To Take Them Out??? Like I Can Move Them Around So When I Play I Don't Come Across Them But The First One Bugs Me. -.-

Atrius (He/Him)

An item can only bestow 1 Psynergy, sorry.

The Djinni menu is actually already programmed to handle 10 Djinn for each character instead of just the 9 available in game so no worries about problems with using the dummy slots.

Remove Djinn completely?  Eventually it will be possible to make it so that you can't encounter any of them at all.  As I recall the menus for them don't appear until after you've encountered the first one so it'll almost be like the Djinn system doesn't exist at all in the game.  You'd be removing a lot of the depth of the battle system though, not only Djinn unleashes, but their stat increases, virtually the entire class system, and summons would all become inaccessible as well if you got rid of them.

D2J

-There's Always Custom Classes Tho.

Atrius (He/Him)

Negative, without Djinn the class system falls apart.  You can't alter your elemental levels without Djinn, and you can't even access the higher tiers of your base class without altering your elemental levels.  Basically you'd be stuck with nothing but the lowest tier of base, and item classes.

D2J

-I Took Them Out(Don't Use Them Either) And My Hack Is Fine. I Just Needed To Up The Class Stats And Separate Them. 0.0

thenightsshadow

While I agree with the general disdain of the posting style, the basic idea presented is in fact doable, even if it does feel like it's betraying the idea of the series as a whole.

Edit:
And now I have a variant on that idea: each individual weapon grants a different class by just equipping it.  Instead of merely getting more attack with each weapon, instead you get a class.  Simpler to grant bonuses a la Elven Shirt, etc.

Of course, needs the functionality to be doable.
Don't bug me too much.  After all, the 'shadow is always Sirius.

Awec

Quote from: Awec on 19, December, 2010, 02:51:58 PM
Is it possible to expand the game or do some crazy hacking to allow more party members? I'm just wondering for this, since I definitely don't have the skills to do it, but it'd be nice if it was possible.
Also, would it be possible to allow an item to give more than one psynergy to a person?
Thought I'd quote it since most people have only noticed the third question.
And for the first, I know you can't just pop in an extra value and hey presto new member. I wanted to know if the code could actually, in theory, be hacked sufficiently to allow more party members or if the limits of the game prevent it, or if there are some values we can't hack and change or some other crazy crackpot reason. Basically, the whole point of the first question is, like I said, if there is some crazy hacking method that could be possible. I don't care how stupidly complicated or long it would take to do, since I don't actually plan to do it. I just like the idea of it being possible.
I. Am. A. Spoon.
What of it?

Atrius (He/Him)

If you don't care how insanely complicated it is, you could technically reprogram Golden Sun into a jet ski racing game if you really wanted to.  That is ignoring you might as well just program a new game from scratch if that was your goal.

The save data golden sun stores is designed specifically only to handle 8 characters, and the game only reserves that amount of room in memory while running for them in several ways.  Menu's are programmed to handle 8 characters, nearly every algorithm that handles party members is specifically programmed to abort if you try to access party member #9 or above.  The way that NPCs on maps are handled on maps reserves 8 slots for your party members to simplify things for cutscenes, Item data is formatted in a way that one of it's variables depends on the fact there are 8 party members.

I'm not going to say it's completely 100% impossible, but honestly you might as well create your own engine from scratch, or hack a game that already allows more than 8 party members if that's really what you want.

D2J

-But Atrius, His Weapon = Class Idea Sounds Smart Tho. Yes???

Atrius (He/Him)

When you're able to make custom class changing items, I'm sure that'd be possible if that's what you want.