News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Is this possible?

Started by Rolina, 10, November, 2008, 04:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D2J

-It Would Help Alot. But If It Can't Then No Biggie.

Awec

Quote from: Atrius on 20, December, 2010, 11:28:27 AM
If you don't care how insanely complicated it is, you could technically reprogram Golden Sun into a jet ski racing game if you really wanted to.  That is ignoring you might as well just program a new game from scratch if that was your goal.

The save data golden sun stores is designed specifically only to handle 8 characters, and the game only reserves that amount of room in memory while running for them in several ways.  Menu's are programmed to handle 8 characters, nearly every algorithm that handles party members is specifically programmed to abort if you try to access party member #9 or above.  The way that NPCs on maps are handled on maps reserves 8 slots for your party members to simplify things for cutscenes, Item data is formatted in a way that one of it's variables depends on the fact there are 8 party members.

I'm not going to say it's completely 100% impossible, but honestly you might as well create your own engine from scratch, or hack a game that already allows more than 8 party members if that's really what you want.
Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.
Still haven't had the 2nd question answered; is it possible to grant more than 1 psynergy with one item, like in Dark Dawn?
I. Am. A. Spoon.
Yes, a spoon that is awesome that is a Jupiter adept that is one of the Anemos that lives on the freaking moon.
What of it?

Awec

It's been a while and I've got a couple more questions.

Is it possible to change what items the Blacksmith makes (not just changing the items themselves, but changing whatever links them to the blacksmith), and the chance he will make them?

Also, is it possible to limit certain items, so you can only have 1 of them? (for instance, lucky medal fountain rewards, blacksmith stuffs, artifact weapon drops etc.)
I. Am. A. Spoon.
Yes, a spoon that is awesome that is a Jupiter adept that is one of the Anemos that lives on the freaking moon.
What of it?

D2J

-Take Off The "You Can Carry Up To 30" If You Want One Here And There.

Awec

Quote from: D2J on 27, December, 2010, 01:08:57 AM
-Take Off The "You Can Carry Up To 30" If You Want One Here And There.
You did not read my question properly, and thus this is not the response I was looking for.
I. Am. A. Spoon.
What of it?

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: Awec on 26, December, 2010, 07:44:33 AMIs it possible to change what items the Blacksmith makes (not just changing the items themselves, but changing whatever links them to the blacksmith), and the chance he will make them?
I'm sure it is, the data just hasn't been found yet.

Quote from: Awec on 26, December, 2010, 07:44:33 AMAlso, is it possible to limit certain items, so you can only have 1 of them? (for instance, lucky medal fountain rewards, blacksmith stuffs, artifact weapon drops etc.)
Hmm...  Maybe if you made them artifacts, and hooked an ASM hack into the function that puts items into your inventory you could manage it that way.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Awec

Quote from: Atrius on 27, December, 2010, 10:02:03 AM
Quote from: Awec on 26, December, 2010, 07:44:33 AMAlso, is it possible to limit certain items, so you can only have 1 of them? (for instance, lucky medal fountain rewards, blacksmith stuffs, artifact weapon drops etc.)
Hmm...  Maybe if you made them artifacts, and hooked an ASM hack into the function that puts items into your inventory you could manage it that way.
Well they would be artifacts. That's the whole point...
And that sounds like it's more complicated than it would be worth. Oh well.
I. Am. A. Spoon.
What of it?

Salanewt

I have a few minor things to ask, actually.

1. You know how items can bestow psynergy? Would it be possible to make them bestow a psynergy + 2? For example, an item bestows Growth. With this idea, it would also bestow the following two psynergy slots. In Growth's case, Mad Growth and Wild Growth will also be bestowed.

[spoiler=Dark Dawn]Kind of like the Ice Queen and Sand Prince gems.[/spoiler]

2. Class combining? You see, my hack will not have much use for the current class system. Would it be possible to create items that add all of the psynergies, stat bonuses, etc. together? What I want is a Trainer's Whip-like item that gives the unit access to all of the psynergies in one class without changing their class. As a better example, an item that gives Felix the squire all of Jenna's moves, and adds her stat modifiers. I think it is, but I might as well ask... right?

3. Similar to number 2, but it adds element levels to change the class instead of changing/combining the class itself. For example, if an item were to give 2 Mars levels through assembly, Felix (squire to brute/ruffian) would become a different class than Sheba (wind seer to pilgrim/wanderer) by equipping it.

And that is about it.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Awec

Quote from: Salanewt on 05, January, 2011, 10:35:53 PM
I have a few minor things to ask, actually.

1. You know how items can bestow psynergy? Would it be possible to make them bestow a psynergy + 2? For example, an item bestows Growth. With this idea, it would also bestow the following two psynergy slots. In Growth's case, Mad Growth and Wild Growth will also be bestowed.

[spoiler=Dark Dawn]Kind of like the Ice Queen and Sand Prince gems.[/spoiler]

2. Class combining? You see, my hack will not have much use for the current class system. Would it be possible to create items that add all of the psynergies, stat bonuses, etc. together? What I want is a Trainer's Whip-like item that gives the unit access to all of the psynergies in one class without changing their class. As a better example, an item that gives Felix the squire all of Jenna's moves, and adds her stat modifiers. I think it is, but I might as well ask... right?

3. Similar to number 2, but it adds element levels to change the class instead of changing/combining the class itself. For example, if an item were to give 2 Mars levels through assembly, Felix (squire to brute/ruffian) would become a different class than Sheba (wind seer to pilgrim/wanderer) by equipping it.

And that is about it.

Have a nice day.

2 and 3 sound confusing.
I asked 1 before but got ignored...  :sad:
I. Am. A. Spoon.
What of it?

Atrius (He/Him)

No you didn't, Awec, I answered your question.

There's no support for it in the game's engine, it'd require an ASM hack.

Speaking of, I hope no one actually expects me to implement the majority of these into the editor at all.  Altering fundamental parts of the game's engine is beyond the scope of what it's intended for.

Salanewt, you'd be rewriting a lot of code for how class data is loaded to accomplish something like that.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

I'm fine with rewriting the code, as it would be good experience for the future. Do you have a theory as to how class combining could be implemented, or shall I start research on it later?

I can't speak for the others, but I doubt that any of us expect too much to do with ASM hacking in the editor. Whatever you want to do is good enough for us.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Awec

Quote from: Atrius on 06, January, 2011, 10:41:42 PM
No you didn't, Awec, I answered your question.

I'm sorry about that. I guess I somehow missed your answer.  :sad:

Is it possible to add more conversations (with party members for instance) into the game?
I. Am. A. Spoon.
What of it?

Rolina

I've got a question... is it possible to change how critical hits work?  I know right now it's like a 1.3x multiplier or something like that, but would it be possible to change it to say, pierce 35-50% of the enemy's defense instead?  After all, a critical hit IMO is more like striking a vital spot on an enemy...  If I could, it'd be nice if I could change how criticals work to reflect that.

zman9000

I'd like to see that as well....

but I'd like to change it to make critical hits even more rare and have them do insta-kills.
execpt on bosses......... now that i think about that, it might be kind of hard to do.....

so if you can do what role said, I would like to know if it is possible to do what i said?

it would help make my hack interesting.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

leaf

Quote from: Role on 24, January, 2011, 11:14:55 PM
I've got a question... is it possible to change how critical hits work?  I know right now it's like a 1.3x multiplier or something like that, but would it be possible to change it to say, pierce 35-50% of the enemy's defense instead?  After all, a critical hit IMO is more like striking a vital spot on an enemy...  If I could, it'd be nice if I could change how criticals work to reflect that.
ASM is your friend.

Quote from: zmanI'd like to see that as well....

but I'd like to change it to make critical hits even more rare and have them do insta-kills.
execpt on bosses......... now that i think about that, it might be kind of hard to do.....

so if you can do what role said, I would like to know if it is possible to do what i said?

it would help make my hack interesting.
ASM is your friend, too. Although unlike role, I get the feeling that is far beyond your abilities...
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

zman9000

haha thats true for now!

but i didn't spent 2 years in a technal school studing programming and now in college for that for nothing!

"Just wait you'll see, YOU'LL ALL SEE what i can do WAA hahaha!!!

Also is it possible with the way the editor (is/will be) to swap out songs for like battle music?
And i know this was probably asked some where but i don't know where so i asked it any way!

And if so what type of music file.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Rolina

Quotebut i didn't spent 2 years in a technal school studing programming and now in college for that for nothing!

I call bullshit.  I'm sorry, but have you seen your posts?

Aile~♥

Role, that's not particularly nice. [spoiler=Role]True, perhaps, but not nice. We're supposed to be respectful around here. Not that he's proven himself particularly worthy of respect, but that's the way things work around here. The "respect" feature is here for that sort of thing.[/spoiler]
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

Touche.  Very true.  But keep in mind, I'm not exactly known for nice, so... it's kinda like telling water it's wet here.

zman9000

you would, wouldn't you...

apparently bad @#$, is the devil

but bullshit is just fine.

so guess what i call bullshit because you didn't answer my question which i will now ask again!

"Also is it possible with the way the editor (is/will be) to swap out songs for like battle music?
And i know this was probably asked some where but i don't know where so i asked it any way!

And if so what type of music file."