News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Camelot insulted us

Started by Raetah, 28, August, 2013, 12:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aile~♥

Back when I played TLA on a GBA instead of an emulator, I often found myself running from battles in places such as Air's Rock, where the encounter rate was just too high and the enemies slightly too tough (not in terms of damage output or Agility, but just in terms of Max HP) to be worth the wasted time.

One other problem (though technically actually an improvement) with Dark Dawn that results in a lot of grinding: powerful equipment in shops is plentiful in Dark Dawn. When a new weapon or piece of armour becomes available at the shops, it's often stronger than what you have equipped. So you want to buy it for every character that can equip it. Result? Running short on cash. This becomes a problem because it results in players going off to grind for the latest and greatest equipment. I know I'm OCD enough that I tend to do that. (Even though there's no logical reason to do this because I can almost certainly own everything in my path anyway.)
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Misery

It's kind of sad really how much of Dark Dawn could be improved by just raising the stats on the enemies. Right now it makes pretty much no difference what class you use. Oh well, I suppose you could just skip picking up djinn.

About running from enemies, I never did this - if you're leveled enough to consistently be able to run from enemies, you can just use Avoid and not even have to worry about encountering them. But if you fail to run, you get to sit through a round of the enemies' attacks, and you could have put them all down in close to that time, making running very rarely worth it.

And in an attempt to conclude the matter of fast-forwarding though battles: yes, you can skip parts of certain animations in TLA, but you can not speed them up like you can in DD. Battles in TLA are still pretty fast, but if you're trying to speed through the game they still take up a pretty large amount of the total time.

Awec

My biggest issue with DD was the Light and Dark types. It's the same opinion I have with the new Fairy-type in Pokemon; I never felt the system in the previous games was broken or lacking, so why did they try to fix it by adding new elements? Even worse, why did they make the new Dark element weak to every other? And to top it all off, the dark element was exclusive to enemies and the light element was barely mentioned in the game at all.
I mean seriously, Light and Dark are the most cliched and generic things they could possibly have added to the game and for me Golden Sun always felt very unique.

Furthermore after briefly introducing these new elements and otherwise having a plotline that begged for a sequel to continue it (even more so than TLA), by all appearances they've abandoned the series altogether since we've heard nothing about GS4 and after last time I'm not sure I'll care enough if they're pulling another "let's show up out of the blue claiming to have the sequel these people have waited years for!"

As for the battle system I never really experienced it being too difficult, even at the end where you're practically having experience thrown at you but this is probably because of my own lack of skill more than anything else.
I. Am. A. Spoon.
Yes, a spoon that is awesome that is a Jupiter adept that is one of the Anemos that lives on the freaking moon.
What of it?

Rolina

Actually, Light and Dark aren't new elements, remember?  And it's never actually explained what they are or how they work, just that they are called "Fundaments".  It could very easily be spun to mean something totally different.

For example:  That kid using "light" in postgame wanderings?  Totally celestial energies.

Wolf

An insult... :?:  Golden Sun:Dark Dawn was a pioneer for the series on the DS that introduced new characters and 3D graphics among other things.  It also introduced a lot of people to Golden Sun, providing a decent deposit of lore about the last two games.

Luna_blade

I haven't played DD at all, but from what I have read it could have been better.
It does provide lore I'll grant that, but game's story is lacking I think.

A total insult from Camelot? I don't think so. They could have left us with no game at all.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Raetah

Quote from: Wolf on 18, November, 2013, 08:59:22 PM
An insult... :?:  Golden Sun:Dark Dawn was a pioneer for the series on the DS that introduced new characters and 3D graphics among other things.  It also introduced a lot of people to Golden Sun, providing a decent deposit of lore about the last two games.

3D Graphics is something irrelevant, we are talking of an RPG, a genre that even today in top-favourite lists we can find some old games featuring pixelated graphics. Personally i like pixels and how games look with them. They are just a different expresion of art, they are not inferior to the new graphics.
However thats a personal opinion, what is not an opinion is that most of the characters of Dark Dawn are completly dispensable. Im a fan of Golden Sun, really much. Golden Sun GBA are my favourite RPG series.
But even with that i know that Golden Sun is not perfect, in therms of history and development of characters Golden Sun dont does it bad at all, but its clearly a low point of the game comparing to Gameplay, Graphics, Soundtrack...
Is just that Golden Sun is not deep with the personality of characters comparing it to other games.

And actually Dark Dawn have the same problem but worst, adding unnecessary, horrible, with non-personality and not a real importance to the game. For example Himi.
This game could be done with 4 characters since its also really short.

I actually dont know if Dark Dawn introduced much new players to the serie, but i feel sorry for them, it is the equivalent of introducing someone to The legend of Zelda with cdi games (ok, i may exagerated that a bit). Im a bit curious of that now, what would think someone of Golden Sun GBA playing first Golden Sun Ds.
Quote from: Luna_blade on 23, November, 2013, 02:08:43 AM
I haven't played DD at all, but from what I have read it could have been better.
It does provide lore I'll grant that, but game's story is lacking I think.

A total insult from Camelot? I don't think so. They could have left us with no game at all.
Between a bad sequel and no sequel at all, personally i prefer the no sequel.
Golden Sun GBA had an acceptable ending, I know that, in fact is a really open with many misteries and questions without answer, but still being a good way to end the game, i mean families being reunited, main characters are happy and the world is saved. Ok, we dont the destiny of Alex, he maybe died or maybe not. Alchemy may causes problems in the future, like it did in the past, but thats something irrelevant to the end of this game.

And thats all about, ok maybe saying that it was an insult is an exageration. But im sure that it was fairly a DECEPTION. and i can say it because im the first fan of the serie that dedicated time to create negative comments of Dark Dawn, the thing goes to more since, i also know a group of persons that are dedicating time to a fan-sequel of The lost age due the dislike of Dark Dawn.