News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

The Hacking Documentation

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 31, August, 2013, 06:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

I know I should wait a whole 'nother 40 days and 40 nights to post this on the Editor's birthday, but I figure I can go ahead and do this now, since I've been working on this for a couple months already.

Please be aware that this documentation might not be for newbies/novices, so take caution. The majority of the stuff documents assembly functions, but there are some listings for data banks and RAM as well. (Honestly, how many banks does this game have, anyway? Somehow I feel like there's not as many as I would have wished there to be.. )

Also, the documentation is in ALPHA, so it is incomplete.

P.S. = The "Unused" labels in the Battle Mechanics section refer to not being able to find a direct function call, but they should be linked as a public function. So don't go thinking they are actually unused.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Awesome! My documentation has been downloaded over 100 times in the last ~365 days, I just want to say that I have long since moved it to my Google Drive. And plenty of further editing has been made.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nsDI-Bx6p65X25CPGdJOk8K-WVsYjYTBEN-i_bR8bdk/edit

(And yes, anyone can edit, but if someone tries to delete anything important, I can still restore to a previous version/limit editing rights.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

Congratulations on the milestone!

As for that hacking documentation; Teawater tends to update it fairly regularly and I add stuff every now and then too. Everyone who is interested in it should check back every now and then for updates. For those who aren't really aware of what this is, it basically documents a large portion of the second game's code and explains it (basically what Teawater said in the first post). You could use it to do almost anything with the game, like change the minions that Star Magician summons or add/modify a field utility effect.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

@Salanewt: Thanks!

Golden Sun Data Wiki is a work-in-progress experiment.  What does everyone think?  Stick with the doc, keep fixing up the wiki, or try something else?

http://gsdata.wikia.com/

Some things I considered...
-I'm kind of wondering if it's an open invitation to get people editing/adding stuff. Since the doc probably makes it look too personal.
-The doc has issues in Firefox, but not as much in Chrome. I'm also hoping that separating the data out in a few pages could make loading faster.
-The wiki and its data is likely to be found on Google Search, where-as the doc might not be.
-Easier to link people to the right sections when questions are asked. (As long as the url hashtag links are supported.)
-Perhaps many other things...

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Misery

I think a wiki for the documentation is a fantastic idea, for all the reasons you mentioned, and also for organization and readability. Another advantage is the option of linking items that are related to each other. However, the first thing that strikes me is that there is no list of articles.

There is no list of articles

Why this is not a part of wikia's default template, I'll never understand. So first priority right now should probably be to make a table of contents, like there is in the document.

QuoteAnother advantage is the option of linking items that are related to each other.
Well, I guess that can fit with the 4th bullet I put up, except I worded it so it seems more for discussion questions.

Quoteorganization and readability
Hopefully.

QuoteThere is no list of articles
All your pages are belong to us. :) - Salanewt added the utility ones earlier in the year when I first started the wiki, but right now, I figure we don't need them, at least not yet, anyway.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Misery

Ah yes, that's exactly it! I guess link it from the start page? Users won't be able to find that page unless they already know about it. And yes, I would say this does make it feel more organized.

Maybe.  That might be worth doing.  However, I'm not sure if that would be a good way to introduce the wiki or not?
- Might be a good idea to fill up the navigation bar at the top, since it'd be easier to travel from page to page... Rather than going back to the AllPages every time? ; Assuming that it works good enough? Dunno. ; I generally like the MediaWiki type of wiki (Doesn't seem like GSHC's wiki is being dealt with?)  Either way, I figure both could work well, especially after I get use to Wikia.
- If we start getting a ton of pages, we could have the main nav categories on the front page. (Like what http://runescape.wikia.com did.; http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Special:AllPages does look a bit strange...)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Misery

Quote from: Fox on 23, November, 2014, 10:49:40 PM
- If we start getting a ton of pages, we could have the main nav categories on the front page. (Like what http://runescape.wikia.com did.; http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Special:AllPages does look a bit strange...)
Having them on the front page is infinitely better than having a special page, but the important thing is that users can navigate the page easily and access all content.