News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Read Readmes?

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 06, September, 2013, 06:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If someone made a ROM Hack with a Readme in it, would you read it?

I definitely would!
0 (0%)
Yes.
2 (40%)
I am not sure.
1 (20%)
No.
2 (40%)
Definitely not!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

So we haven't had many Voting Polls lately, so I thought this would be perfect. So.... "Who reads the readme?"

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Rolina

Hmm... perhaps another question should be asked in kind - who would notice the readme.  They aren't exactly standard...

But personally, I usually skip readmes.

Misery

Do I read the readme? Not necessarily. Do I look at the readme? Yes.
If the download includes a patch and a text file titled "Read this first", I would at least open it and see what's in it. This can in many cases be the author's only opportunity to pass a message on to the user. If you press button X when the readme says "don't press button X or the game will crash", you have yourself to blame (horrible example really, but I think you get the idea).

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Looking at the readme would probably lead to reading at least small portions of it, so that would probably qualify for voting in this poll as a "Yes!", depending on how much you actually look at it(?) After all, if something was in all caps inside of it and read "IMPORTANT!! PLEASE PRESS SELECT TO VIEW ITEM INFORMATION.", you might would notice it.  Although, I should have asked if it would be read on the day the hack was tested.

And yes, horrible example. Although, I would sort of blame both depending on the outcome. (Ex: Did the author know how to fix the problem, but was just too lazy to fix it?)

Another thought. What if someone had a question, would s/he check to see if it was answered in the Readme? (Even via Ctrl+F to search for keywords.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Rolina

IMO, a readme shouldn't be needed.  Software/games should be developed so that they're intuitive, especially in games where such things are better left to tutorials and the options menu (so many I've tried put the control scheme in the readme for some stupid reason, instead of giving something better like keymapping options.  I mean, come on - that PC gaming 101!  All PC games should have keymapping!)

Misery

When it comes to game design I agree with you, Role (as sad as the death of manuals is). But this poll is referring specifically to ROM hacks. Sometimes it might be feasible to explain things in-game, but in many cases it's a lot of work that doesn't really add anything to the experience (or might even the deter from it). If you want to leave a little message, it's usually pretty simple. But if there's a new game mechanic to be introduced, or there's a multitude of small changes, a guide or a changelog is the way to go.

Rolina

Oh, a changelog is fine.  But he said a readme, which in my experiences is quite a bit different.  For example, mods for things like Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind had separate files for guides and what not, leaving the readme for installation instructions instead.