News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Identified Lottery Winner?

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 24, September, 2013, 05:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think about releasing your identity when you win a big lottery?

Nuetral/don't care.
0 (0%)
I'd perfer to be anonymous, but I'd take the money anyway.
5 (83.3%)
Nuetral/don't care.
1 (16.7%)
I like the idea of being publicly identified, so great!
0 (0%)
I will only take the money if publicly identified. Yay!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Some states require that you are identified, while others don't. I guess many of them that require it also vary in just how far they go with identity. (Ex: News conference.)

Honestly, I feel this is like a violation of privacy, since when people know about that sort of stuff, they are more likely to expect you to give them some. (And in larger amounts.) And for people who have a hard time saying no, this could mean bankruptcy in like the next 5 years, for example. Not to mention how this breaks your security. Meaning that now, you may be more vulnerable to robberies and all that stuff.

Oh, and then there's the media, they might come find you.

Although, I assume one could guess that being identified is one of their ways on proving that they are not a lottery scam, and that they are truely giving out prizes. Pretty much in hopes to get more people playing the lottery. The power of suggestion, I guess. If you see a winner, you are tempted to think you are more likely to win, but you aren't. As for getting more people to play, I would think that being publicly identified would have the reverse effect. (Atleast for shy/private people.) Except for people who like to be in the spotlight.

P.S. = I decided to post this because of something I saw/heard on the news.

Also, feel free to post if you have ever won any lotteries. (Or just post anyway.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Misery

And then there's the risk of theft when someone becomes publicly known to suddenly have a large amount of money... they're not used to being rich, so they might not know how to protect it. It just seems like a bad thing to do. As for me though... I never play any lotteries anyway.

But they could of course, as you say, want to identify winners for verification purposes. I think that's fine, assuming they're somewhat discreet about it. I often see "person in this town won X hundred thousand/million" in places where lottery tickets are being sold, and that seems perfectly find to me. It's not really a smart advertisement though, in reality the chances of the winning ticket being sold again in the same place are statistically very small. But I guess most people don't realize that.

Looking at the topic title made me think we had another spammer, until I saw your name, haha.

Quote from: Misery on 24, September, 2013, 07:47:39 AM
And then there's the risk of theft when someone becomes publicly known to suddenly have a large amount of money... they're not used to being rich, so they might not know how to protect it. It just seems like a bad thing to do. As for me though... I never play any lotteries anyway.
That's sort of what I was talking about when I said
QuoteNot to mention how this breaks your security. Meaning that now, you may be more vulnerable to robberies and all that stuff.
But thanks for adding that "not know how to protect it" part. I think smart people get reputable lawyers and financial advisors. (Atleast, from one article I read: http://www.palisadeshudson.com/2012/05/putting-lottery-winners-on-display/) And also, you would probably make an investment, as well?

@Link:
QuoteIn fact, only six states – Kansas, Maryland, Delaware, Michigan, North Dakota and Ohio – allow lottery winners to remain anonymous.
I think they forgot South Carolina, since on the news, someone won there, and they were allowed to go Anonymous. (But ofcourse, there is that chance that laws may have changed in the last year?)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Misery

Oops, way to fail at reading, me.

At least we're in agreement.
And you should never assume people are smart.

QuoteAnd you should never assume people are smart.
That is true, but you should also never assume they are all dumb as well. After-all, even I had something to learn from that article. And with the internet these days, information should travel pretty fast.(Imagine what it will be like in another century?)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden