News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

If the NSA wanted to access your server...

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 16, December, 2013, 07:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What would you do?

Tell atleast one person
0 (0%)
Go to court
0 (0%)
Give them the key
1 (100%)
Close down the server
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Say that you were the owner of a website. If the NSA asked you for decryption keys to access all the data on your server to monitor for terrorists.  And in the process, gave you a gag order to never tell anyone, what would you do?

Would you give them the key, or go to court?

Would you seek advice from advisories, etc?

Would you only inform the administrators of your site, or not? Or only tell people about it if they ask?

Etc.

If you didn't comply with their agreement, they could find a way to hack into your server. Or bring you to court.

And as far as their gag order on not letting anyone know they are spying, simply saying "Classified" to anyone who asks if the NSA is spying is a clear "Yes" answer...
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Atrius (He/Him)

I'm just gonna leave this link here for your paranoia.   Er... perusal.  Yes, I meant perusal.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Oh thanks. And yeah, I suppose what the NSA can do, when thinking about Big Brother, can definitely be a bit paranoia-worthy... But Big Brother was more personal since America themselves can freely watch without any law-breaking risks. The NSA may have more risks on their rules. (I am not entirely sure...)

Today's news of the day: (Yes, it is dated today.)
Washington Times: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/16/federal-judge-says-nsa-phone-program-violates-four/?page=1
CBC News: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/nsa-bulk-phone-record-collection-violates-u-s-constitution-judge-1.2466353
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

zman9000

Not sure how I would react. I mean if its really the nsa and they asked for permission i might do it. i mean if for what ever reason there some how is terrorist activity going on i'd want to help.

I know its so unlikely but as long as there isn't anything illegal there i wouldn't be too worried.

I can't think of a good reason to say no other then personal space...
is there some danger to them having access to it? its not like the nsa is going to go in and steal my shiz or anything right? if it really is the nsa.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Quoteis there some danger to them having access to it? its not like the nsa is going to go in and steal my shiz or anything right? if it really is the nsa.
What if somehow... Terrorist succesfully hacked the NSA's database? (It's very likely the NSA mines everything they can find.... and I wouldn't doubt if they had a way of indexing the data to people... especially since most sites ask you to register with your email, and most people probably have a personal email address that they use everywhere.)

I'm not so sure it is wise to put all your faith in anyone.  Have you never seen the government commit crime before?  I think it's safe to assume there's always that one person to mess up everything... (Though, I'm sure 98% of the time, the hazardous people always get caught... and some may even find a loophole in the law.)

Edit: I almost forgot to mention some NSA employees spy on their love ones. Meh. (But they probably quit their jobs to umm... not face consequences?)

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I wonder how successful they could be at capturing terrorist if everyone's homes were monitored. Google Maps alone could probably be one step towards that.

---
Dec 18, 2013: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/nsa-shouldnt-keep-phone-database-review-board-recommends/2013/12/18/f44fe7c0-67fd-11e3-a0b9-249bbb34602c_story.html

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

zman9000

QuoteWhat if somehow... Terrorist succesfully hacked the NSA's database?
to be fair. if this happens, we have bigger problems then just having some server information stolen...

and if they really wanted my information, there's easier ways of getting it then hacking the NSA...

I really can't see any bad sides to this.

and sure i'm not one for more government control over your stuff. in fact when i first saw the topic i thought there's no way in hell. but after reading a bit and thinking about it, i can't think of a for certain down side to it even if i really want to.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Hmm... Yeah, turns out I've had some rethinking on it as well. For example, when it comes to thoughts of weapons of mass destruction. (Maybe even to the point of eliminating the entire planet...) ; But I think other Gov't agencies may also have back stage access as well... But I'm not so sure exactly which ones and exactly what they do to find the info they want. (CIA?/FBI?/etc?) I assume it works like a search engine similar to Google... but...

Anyway, the idea of weapons of mass destruction can bring across a theory that we should just get rid of the fourth amendment altogether.  And when it comes to those thoughts, how well developed our technology may get, and the fact that people are either getting better or worse whether it be addiction or other... sort of makes me unsure what would be best...

But one question is... Why should the U.S. be known for most of the invasions if other countries are not very well known for it? Hmm... (I may need to verify this statement, but I thought I remember reading somewhere that one website had a ton of requests coming from the US.)

Oh... and...

Quoteto be fair. if this happens, we have bigger problems then just having some server information stolen...
If the thieves were smart, they'd mass-sell all the information, I think? Sort of like how  stolen identities are sold. It's reasonable to say that plenty of what NSA gathers has most of this sensitive information already, unless I'm mistaken. So no matter what sites you use, if any of them are targetted by the NSA, you'd be easily vulnerable if something were to happen, but then again, people do go around trusting companies with their information all the time...

and sure i'm not one for more government control over your stuff. in fact when i first saw the topic i thought there's no way in hell. but after reading a bit and thinking about it, i can't think of a for certain down side to it even if i really want to.
So, the big question is, can you think of a "for certain" downside to not having the fourth amendment? (If not, would you be willing to give up that right?)

I'm already thinking of an automated police robot patrolling your house...

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden