News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Virtual Class

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 15, January, 2014, 03:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Quote from: Thunder-squall on 15, January, 2014, 03:31:50 AM
I say you should make a thread and let people 'sign' up.  And if enough people sign up, then you'll know it's worth it for you to put in the effort.

Basically, I imagine you'd just give us small weekly assignments, and we'd then work together to get them done.  Sort of like an apprenticeship.  And you could basically groom us to help you with what you're doing.

If I were to do programming lessons, who would take them? If you are interested, post here with your license and ---. Er. There's not really a registration form present.  If possible, describe what you would like to get out of this in great detail.

(The Virtual Class idea is in pending stage, so I'm not absolutely 100% sure about it, which is one reason I ask for a description.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Thunder-squall

Well, I suppose I'm also willing to offer to help people learn how to do stuff in LÖVE, which is super easy, and what I propose using to make our own version of Golden Sun.

As the first tutorial, I've attached a small picture file and a lua(text) file that are used together in a small program.  It gives a quick example free movement.  You can "run" it in two ways:
(after you've downloaded LOVE 9 from love2d.org)

1) place the png and lua file into a folder, and then drag that folder over the round blue LOVE icon that you might have on your desktop.

OR

2) select the png and lua file, and add them to a zip archive.  But instead of naming it something.zip, name it something.love. Then you can run the program by clicking on the archive.  If you want to look inside the archive, change it back form a .love to a .zip.

And that's it.  

If you can do that, then I'll help you take baby steps along the way, because I really don't want to code a Golden Sun game all by myself.
And if you want to make anything else, that's cool too.  I think LÖVE's an awesome way to go.

Misery

I think it's enough that the two of you are here on the site and willing to answer questions, I don't see any need to host classes. For anyone who has an interest in learning programming, there's an abundance of tutorials, and every language is well-documented. There are also many programming forums you can turn to for help and advice.

Thunder-squall

True, but more than having a live instructor, it seems that it's really important for students to have other students (at least from what I've gathered from people talking about free virtual courses offered by the likes of MIT and whomever).  Essentially, here's a thread where people who want to learn can find others who want to learn too, and perhaps keep each other company.

I have no idea, but maybe it's like having a gym buddy?  Or friend who's taking a similar challenge as you are.