News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Microwave Incidents

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 07, January, 2014, 10:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Ah. Explain?

If I were curious about something, it doesn't give me any freedom to use whatever it is I'm using... For all I know, you could fall in a dead man's trap.

The idea of having knowledge of all things enables you to do what you please as to how you want to do it because you know what you're doing. This even means that you could go undetected by the Government if you did a crime. All because you have the knowledge on avoiding being caught. Knowledge could also be used for finding a way to live life. (Like hunting and fishing, as well as get the perfect job.)

What would an ant do if you had it trapped in a paper cup? It certainly doesn't have strength/power to bust out.... or does it? What you do to survive, is play dead and hope they mistaken you for a crumb. :) Although, I doubt you mean power in physical strength terms.

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/325795-knowledge-is-freedom-and-ignorance-is-slavery

P.S. In some ways, I want to say wealth/assets is responsibility, but I'm not so sure on that one.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Teawater on 14, January, 2014, 03:22:44 AM
Ah. Explain?

When people are curious they search and explore.  I associate those things with freedom.

When people are aware of things, they respond to things.  I associate that with responsibility.

The idea of having knowledge of all things enables you to do what you please as to how you want to do it because you know what you're doing.

But knowledge is the result of curiosity.  Knowledge vs. Curiosity is like 'giving a man a fish, vs. teaching a man to fish.'

The idea of having knowledge of all things enables you to do what you please ...

What you're saying here is that Knowledge is power.  And then saying that power is freedom.   Spider Man would argue with the second claim.

What would an ant do if you had it trapped in a paper cup? It certainly doesn't have strength/power to bust out.... or does it? What you do to survive, is play dead and hope they mistaken you for a crumb. :) Although, I doubt you mean power in physical strength terms.

I'm not sure what this is in response to, or what it's trying to communicate.

Yes, but what if you search and explore, but find nothing? Or what if you search and explore, and find misleading content that could, for example, bring you to your death? No more freedom obtained there. ; Imagine a note used as a set-up to bring someone to a warehouse where it's all quiet and no one will hear their screams.

QuoteBut knowledge is the result of curiosity.
Usually it is, but then it is possible to gain knowledge because someone force-fed it to you.

QuoteKnowledge vs. Curiosity is like 'giving a man a fish, vs. teaching a man to fish.'
Knowledge means that you'd already know how to fish. and curiosity is when you don't know yet, but "getting there"... or something.

QuoteI'm not sure what this is in response to, or what it's trying to communicate.
QuoteInformation is power.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Teawater on 14, January, 2014, 04:07:15 AM
Yes, but what if you search and explore, but find nothing? Or what if you search and explore, and find misleading content that could, for example, bring you to your death? No more freedom obtained there. ; Imagine a note used as a set-up to bring someone to a warehouse where it's all quiet and no one will hear your screams.

That raises an interesting situation.  So basically, if you had a way of doing something, you wouldn't risk trying an unproven alternative?  So would having knowledge actually *prevent* you from seeking knowledge?

QuoteI'm not sure what this is in response to, or what it's trying to communicate.
QuoteInformation is power.
[/quote]

O, ok.  To counter, I'll start with physics to establish a definition of "power," and then expand that as a metaphor to other uses.

Power = Work x Time.
And Work = Force * Displacement.
But the key term here is Displacement, not Force.

In the example you give, the ant's power is the ant's ability to bring about a certain outcome.  The outcome you're talking about is survival.  The ant's ability to bring about the outcome of survival is that ant's power.  Whether it does this by strength, intellect or magic is not the key factor here.

And likewise, the ant's ability to move the paper cup is also power, but a different kind of power. And whether it does this by strength, intellect or magic is not of consequence to whether or not we call that thing power.

For example, when people say "this is a powerful algorithm," the thing that makes the algorithm "powerful" is the economic cost of the alternative.  So if normally you'd need one-hundred man-hours to do something that the algorithm can do in a few moments, the algorithm has the power of a hundred men.  But that doesn't mean that the algorithm can do *everything* that 100 people can do.  It has a very specific kind of power.

QuoteThat raises an interesting situation.  So basically, if you had a way of doing something, you wouldn't risk trying an unproven alternative?  So would having knowledge actually *prevent* you from seeking knowledge?
Would it be alright to say that there is no boundary of how much knowledge you can obtain? If time is infinite, and you can always gain knowledge of the future, then knowledge must be infinite too. So I can't see where you would be unable to seek knowledge, given our humanly circumstances. My guess is that you would still go to the warehouse if you wanted to, but you'd take some help, body armor,  perhaps a knife, and whatever. (If you were willing to risk you life.)

And that ant thing, I thought maybe you meant something different about power, but just checking to make sure. Edit: Similar to my power topics... I never said I disagreed with Information being Power (And I don't disagree), but was rather questioning it in replacement of a better quote. (One that I didn't make up myself.) I suppose I couldn't think of anything good enough to say, and sadly, didn't put much thought into it. (A.k.a: I should have left the ant story out.)  Freedom and power are practically the same in theory, so...

Freedom = 3. the power to determine action without restraint.
Power = 1. ability to do or act; capability of doing or accomplishing something.

Also, information and knowledge are practically synonyms, but they are still different.  (Just because you have the information doesn't mean you understand it.) (Note that understanding is knowledge.) Imagine this information being in a foreign language.

But anyway, given the numerous meanings of words, and their context clues, I guess I can say (Information is Power) and (Knowledge is Freedom) mean pretty much the same thing.

QuoteI think curiosity is freedom.  Isn't knowledge responsibility?
I think curiosity is power.  Isn't information responsibility?

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Wolf

Quote from: Teawater on 14, January, 2014, 02:21:25 AM
Also, what wrapper? It was one bag bought from the store.... It's not like anything was packaged separately in wrapping inside the bag. It was just 12(?) Stuffed Shells.
:sleepoff: I meant to say bag.  Rush posted yesterday. :Sweat:

Parloo

So back to microwave topic i just hard boiled my egg in it. Took me several eggs to get a perfect hard boiled one. The correct time it took me was 7 minutes.

Thunder-squall

Was there a pre-setting for an egg?  I never actually use those settings, but perhaps I don't know what I'm missing.