Golden Sun Hacking Community
January 19, 2018, 05:47:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dark Dawn's the only Golden Sun game you've really played: what are you missing?  (Read 7366 times)
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

Coins: 0

« on: January 10, 2014, 12:59:50 AM »

As I'm trying to code from scratch and recreate stuff about Golden Sun, I realize that I'm basing ALL of my decisions off of Dark Dawn.  How might that lead me to make stray decisions which don't follow with the mainstream Golden Sun fandom?
View Profile
Misery
Bad Luck

Great Member

Coins: 2

Clan Position: Mercury Hack Leader

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 01:48:01 AM »

In terms of game mechanics, you're missing very little. I can mainly think of two three things:
-Dark Dawn drastically cut down on the amount of psynergies with overworld use. Not necessarily bad or good.
-Dark Dawn generally has greater range for out-of-battle psynergy. This makes sense, as psynergy attacks are ranged in battle.
-Dark Dawn is missing the "item classes" from The Lost Age. These classes are accessed by equipping an item which overrides your normal classes (thus being accessible by everyone), and to advance in their tiers, all four elements are required.

The class system in itself can seem a bit quirky at first though. You're free to consult me if you want to add a similar class system to your game as I'm very familiar with the mechanics.

But seriously, if you have the time to code all this, I would give those two games a shot.
View Profile
Knight of Purgatory
The Infernal King
Venus Clan

Join the Dark Side... FOR COOKIES

Coins: 1

I am: Selling evil cookies

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 01:58:03 AM »

Like he said, mechanix wise you not be missing much, 'cept for the fact that the first 2 games were about 20% cooler.

MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES
View Profile
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 02:17:15 AM »

-Dark Dawn drastically cut down on the amount of psynergies with overworld use. Not necessarily bad or good

Right now this is exactly what I'm working on.  I'm not interested in 'trigger switch' psionics (like "slapping" a clown's nose, or whatever), but what are terrain-changing psionic abilities (lol, you know I mean "psyenergy" abilities) which one should be aware of.  From Dark Dawn, the map elements I'm currently looking at are

1. move bock (push)
2. float air-panels
3. grow vine
4. create static block (i.e. by freezing ice), or remove static block (i.e. fireball)
5. trigger moving platform (i.e. wind when you're on a raft, or fireball when you're in an engine).
View Profile
Misery
Bad Luck

Great Member

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 02:49:13 AM »

Might as well just post the psynergies you haven't listed...

Douse - Put out flames or fill stuff with water
Reveal - Show hidden stuff (iirc Himi has something similar in DD)
Parch - Evaporate standing water (Mercury psynergy for some reason)
Sand - Become sand, able to move around in sand
Blaze - Manipulate flames
Lash - "Lift and move light objects" (used to move ropes)
Pound - Drive objects into the ground. (Mars)
Scoop - Dig in soft ground.
Tremor - Causes a small tremor, everything on screen shakes
Cyclone - Whirl up weeds, and activate certain transporters. The float-air panels seem to be derived from this.
Burst  - Break cracked objects.
Grind  - Pulverise large objects. (Venus adepts only)
Hover - When used on certain panels, you can hover for some distance. (Jupiter)
Teleport - Can travel between certain teleport platforms, or to any previously visited town (Jupiter)
Catch - Grab light objects from afar (no element?)
Force - Strike a distant object (no element)
Lift - Lift an object and leave it hovering in the air (Mercury... why??)
Halt - Stop a moving object. (Jupiter)
Cloak - Become invisible in shadows (Mercury)
Carry - Lift, move, and drop an object. (Venus)

Note that fireball didn't exist in these games, neither did using wind to move yourself.
View Profile
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 04:56:36 AM »

I can see how they all sort of do similar things, but what sets them apart is the setting where they could be used.  I think the settings in Dark Dawn were pretty cool, but were there some cooler ones I missed in the previous games?
View Profile
Misery
Bad Luck

Great Member

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 09:22:13 AM »

Very true, all psynergies are heavily dependent on the setting. It is then the work of the game designer to create the illusion that the setting necessitates the psynergy, and not the other way around.

As for settings... DD has nothing quite like the elemental lighthouses and the elemental rocks.
View Profile
Knight of Purgatory
The Infernal King
Venus Clan

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 10:28:58 AM »

Well, the luna tower is similar,in a way to the lighthouses

View Profile
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 07:06:32 PM »

looking over old sprites, I get the feeling that the old game featured more species.  I.e. people with other colored skin?

Hey, is the world map in DarkDawn compatible with the map in previous games?  Together, do they now tell us how the entire world looks?
View Profile
Misery
Bad Luck

Great Member

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 07:42:18 PM »

DD and TLA both have a map over the full world, but it has changed a lot between the games.
View Profile
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 10:27:30 PM »

DD and TLA both have a map over the full world, but it has changed a lot between the games.
Maybe due to natural disasters? Tectonic shifts, if those even exist in gs?
View Profile
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 11:37:57 PM »

Maybe, but I thought it was due to the effects of the Golden Sun/Alchemy. (And 30 years passing by.)

All three games are in the same world. (Weyard) GS1 only features a small part of it, and you don't use a boat. GS2 features a larger map (including GS1's map), but doesn't let you go to GS1 places. That whole continent, I believe, is rendered unused, save for maybe a few spots not accessible from GS1.  GS2, however, does have a playable boat, though.  And ofcourse, in GS3 everything looks a bit different.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:47:01 PM by Teawater » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

May the force be with you!
Shoo! Why does it smell in here?
Maybe that's the wrong kind of force. *smirk*
View Profile

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 03:29:44 AM »

A decent plot.
View Profile
Knight of Purgatory
The Infernal King
Venus Clan

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 08:00:58 AM »

Gs3 is in the same region as gs1 with a boat section taped on at the end, but like teawater said, all looks diff

View Profile
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 10:26:59 AM »

But if I wanted a consolidated map, I'd use GS3?
View Profile
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
January 17, 2018, 04:07:51 PM
KyleRunner: :D
January 16, 2018, 08:44:56 PM
Fox: I must say... life can be complicated..... when you have question(s) (via email) ... and it seems like they sort of get ignored. :D ; Fun, (And sometimes, a person may respond, and completely not answer the question.... so like... 3-person conversation.) Hahahaha!!
January 15, 2018, 07:26:16 PM
Fox: (path) 1 text=(address) char=(address) free=(address) ; << Well, closer to this... but yeah... even if I do choose to have defaults in the code, I could still use this method for overrides.
January 15, 2018, 07:24:28 PM
Fox: So like (path) 0 text=(address) char=(address) len=(number) ; (path) 1 free=(address) ; Or something. But that's just a quick example.
January 15, 2018, 06:59:14 PM
Fox: Hopefully. I was wanting to make it so you could put in the addresses/etc. as one of the arguments in the path. Hm?
January 15, 2018, 03:37:07 PM
KyleRunner: Nice! I hope you'll add compatibility with others games (GS1, Mario Golf and Tennis) soon.
January 14, 2018, 11:40:09 PM
Fox: Okay. Posted (in Downloads section) an initial cutdown version for now, for my text compressor. Basically to separate the code from my Editor for anyone who wants to mess with it. It only supports GS2, because I still didn't add the addresses/etc. for the other games.
January 14, 2018, 05:01:00 PM
Fox: Okay! Going to need to think how I want it to work. Initial thoughts is maybe have a number of arguments in the filepath thing. And have a number of shortcuts (files) to be used as examples. Assuming there are no problems.
January 14, 2018, 10:38:24 AM
KyleRunner: Well... I'm used to editing text ina a text editor, so... yes! Thanks in advance!
January 13, 2018, 11:38:43 PM
Fox: (Text editor = Text Document like notepad.)
January 13, 2018, 11:38:21 PM
Fox: Would you prefer during the text editing in a text editor? (Like what gstoolkit lets you do?) I could probably make a separate tool or something to compress it.
January 13, 2018, 10:10:02 PM
KyleRunner: Ok. Once I finish my Lost Age translation, I'll try a Mario Golf one. Thanks. (But I'll need help).
January 13, 2018, 10:03:17 PM
Fox: If you want to make it "permanent" (part of a hack), then you'd edit code in the ROM that writes to this location of the IDs you'd want to change. (You can find these locations by using a breakpoint debugger like SDL-H or no$gba.)
January 13, 2018, 10:00:11 PM
Fox: Reload/switch = Recommended to be done through Debug mode/warp menu, ofcourse... since doors seem to appear as if they were disabled? ; 03001238:01 and B+Start to get to warp menu.
January 13, 2018, 09:55:39 PM
Fox: @Kyle Runner = It might be, but you'd have to use the correct addresses for Mario Golf, rather than for GS2 as I have it right now. ; @raijinken = Yes. 02000454 = ID of leader. (Change this and reload/switch room you are in, enjoy.)
January 13, 2018, 02:23:29 PM
raijinken: Hey guys, is it possible to somehow change the lead character on the map? Was wondering. I remember there was a cheat to use Jenna, but what if I wanted Isaac, or Piers?
January 13, 2018, 02:10:03 PM
KyleRunner: Hey, Fox *
January 13, 2018, 02:09:37 PM
KyleRunner: Hey, is your text editor compatible with Mario Golf (GBA)?
January 11, 2018, 08:33:13 PM
Fox: But if it isn't an oversight, I still can't imagine it being that useful.
January 11, 2018, 08:28:24 PM
Fox: part, ofcourse.

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise