News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

dem animal folk

Started by Thunder-squall, 10, January, 2014, 01:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Raetah on 22, January, 2014, 04:36:59 AM
If we use the animation of summons and the reflect of Garoh as a reliable fount of source of information. We can determinate that the distance between Weyard and the Weyard moon is much longer than the distance between the Earth and the Moon. We can also conclude that the Weyard Moon is bigger than the Earth Moon, and also clearly bigger than the anemos hole.

I don't quite follow.  Which summons are you looking at?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

The one first posted by Robert Joe, and then later posted by me in this topic earlier.

For those who didn't see it, here's a CLOSE UP!
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Luna_blade

Actually we cannot deduce the moon's size by looking at the reflection in the water.
1. Because what Teawater said: The orbit of that moon doesn't have to be a perfect circle.
    It could be a very thin elipse. So we don't know at which point of the orbital cycle the moon is.
2. Sometimes in real life the sun or the moon seem very close to the earth. (listed here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_illusion)

By the way can we confirm there is currently only one moon orbiting around the planet?
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Thunder-squall

At least from Dark Dawn, I think it's the Meteor summon that supports the suspicion that Weyard is a flat plateau on top of a larger, rounder planet.  So I'm not in favor of the 'thin ellipse' point of view.

Personally, it seems that the elevation of that moon is likely similar to the other bodies of sky-land that we see in Dark Dawn, and that it is much closer than our own actual moon on earth.  Therefore it could be smaller than our moon, and still appear larger.

However, the image of its reflection in the water probably is not to scale -- Remember that nothing in that view is to scale. I.e. Djinn aren't the size of large dogs, or whatever.

The only things I think we can really trust in games with symbolic visuals is the text and game script.  But even the script doesn't tell us for sure what the moon is.  So the next thing we can do is go along with the flow of the story, and read in between the lines of what it's inferring.  And then I suppose we're in the realm of personal judgment.

But while the game doesn't give hard evidence about what is, it most certainly doesn't provide too much evidence about what isn't, either.  So I think a lot of the "the evidence says otherwise" counter arguments don't really hold up.

Nope, can't always trust the script 100%. Why? Because for one, there can be mis-translations. Recall that time Felix talked at Trial Roads? Yeah...

And I agree with scaling issues.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Misery

Doubt Thunder would recall that, let alone know about the translation if he had even played TLA. Felix originally said "?", which gets translated to "Why?" in the english version. The only time he says any word in the whole game.

But anyway, I can bet you all even the game designers have no idea what the real answers to these questions are, as they likely haven't even though about it (not to devalue your discussion or anything).

Yeah, but it was under a false assumption that people would have already known.

I'm thinking the same thing. Does anyone ever know all the details of the story they are telling? Probably not, but they might know more of it than other people do? So every story told can never be as 'perfect' as the world in which we live in. (But I'm sure there are many mysteries even about our own world.)

(By 'perfect' I was refering to the fact that most things (Science) generally make sense... and even then, we can only ever know a speck of all knowledge...)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

I agree no one really knows the answers, and that's because "facts" in this case are subservient to the "legend," or the sense of aw and mystery that the games want to convey-- I assume the creators wanted to keep people guessing and wondering.  And this is why I really want to know what people are wondering, rather than what they think about the validity of the "evidence." ... I've already accepted that possibility that GS doesn't have a strong or consistent lore.

Thunder-squall

Bump on this conversation, given the renewed interested in Anemos, but also in Dark Energy, given that 'losing control or sanity' seems to be a dark energy effect, as suggested by the effect on Sveta's  brother in Dark Dawn.  I'm of course talking about Garoh, rather than beastmen, here. (where people became insane and more bestial)

Are beast men associated with light energy, whereas the werewolves are clearly under a dark energy effect?  As a reminder, the end zone of Dark Dawn was built by beast folk using Umbral gear, and there are plenty of reminders in the series that the golden sun event evolved beast folk, and that the light phenomenon at the end evolved them further into a golden form.  This is why I'm assuming the two (light energy and the golden sun event) to be similar and related, until I do further research.

But on the surface of it, both bestial examples seem to present a nice dichotomy between light and dark.

Rolina

Okay, I'm lost... why are we using a Solar System model when Weyard's flat nature and those long falls we take in the games very clearly demonstrate that gravity does not work the same way in the GS universe and thus follows a different set of laws of physics?  You know, a set that allows for things like psynergy/magic? 

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Rolina on 29, April, 2014, 07:28:29 PM
Okay, I'm lost... why are we using a Solar System model when Weyard's flat nature and those long falls we take in the games very clearly demonstrate that gravity does not work the same way in the GS universe and thus follows a different set of laws of physics?  You know, a set that allows for things like psynergy/magic? 

I don't think it's a model of the solar system, but an estimate of *where* summons seem to come from when depicted through cut scene animations in the game (That's my guess, I didn't look too closely at the image, and I don't know what argument it was promoting either).  As you know, the summons videos often depict extraterrestrial bodies approaching a circular planet, suggesting that the plateau (or floating island) of Weyard is on a normal planet, even if suspended by unnatural or magical means.

That said, I don't know how it contributes to the discussion... I suppose it can be used to see if certain psi energy types are associated with certain distances from Weyard.