News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

night vs. day in GS

Started by Thunder-squall, 11, January, 2014, 06:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder-squall

So it's a way to turn pools of water into elevated platforms that people can walk on?  Other than uses in puzzles, what other ambitions do you have for it?  For example, do you imagine a castle out there made of water zol?

@ Wolf: DD Spoilers are fine, me thinks... And do spoiler tags work? [spoiler] testing [/spoiler]

Luna_blade

So Zol exists in every Elemental form?
And it is also a stone, like psynergy gems right?
That would be pretty cool.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Thunder-squall

And they could be used to craft stuff.  Truth be told, I like the weapons more than I liked the elemental powers in the games.  I think they had some cool animations and effects.

Knight of Purgatory

Quote from: Thunder-squall on 01, February, 2014, 03:47:44 AM
And they could be used to craft stuff.  Truth be told, I like the weapons more than I liked the elemental powers in the games.  I think they had some cool animations and effects.
Agreed, but relatively, the gs1 and 2 animations and effects just felt better( but I think it could also be nostalgia filter).
One thing I wish the golden sun series had, was things like lore for the weapons and stuff, something which Bravely Default pulled off nicely.
Examples for cool weapon lore would be
Sol Blade: A blade forged in honour of the sun, this sacred weapon was said to have been created at the peak of Mount Aleph, by bathing it in psyenergy, to give it exceptional strength and durability. As a result of the weapon's immense power, non but the greatest of heroes may wield it.
MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES

Thunder-squall

Is it worth making a new thread discussing how Golden Sun could benefit from advancements made in other RPGs?

Raetah

Quote from: Thunder-squall on 02, February, 2014, 08:20:39 AM
Is it worth making a new thread discussing how Golden Sun could benefit from advancements made in other RPGs?
I think that current RPGs do develop further the personality of characters and now all the RPGs are mostly Action RPGs and turn based RPGs is a subgenre that is dying.

Knight of Purgatory

MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES

Luna_blade

Quote from: Thunder-squall on 02, February, 2014, 08:20:39 AM
Yes, I think so. I'm currently being inspired by Squares Snes RPG's. They share many similarities with the Golden Sun games. (especially Lufia)

And yeah except for pokemon. Btw, the game that inspired Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Fantasy_Legend) has many interesting pieces of gameplay for Golden Sun alongside it's fellow games.
Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

Luna_blade

I suddenly got this  :idea::
If Weyard is a giant plateau on a planet, shouldn't Weyard be curved slightly?
If we look at the rules of our universe, the plateau would be curved or fall apart more quickly.
When Weyard would be flat all the water would be in the middle (asuming that the heaviest point is in the middle)

But this also explains why all the water is flowing off Weyard.
Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

Thunder-squall

How do we know Weyard isn't curved slightly?

But if I were a Kraden-type fellow on Weyard, I'd probably have sent up a few hot-air balloons in the center of and on the perimeters of Weyard, and observed whether they appeared as if they were on the same plane when viewed from each other.  Basically, I assume that whatever passes for atmosphere could have helped control that all the balloons rose to the same height (given the same weights, and all), and ... well, it makes sense in my head, but I don't know if I'm conveying it properly... I'm a bit tired.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

That brings me to another question: How far does the PC's line of sight go?

The Hot Air Balloon thing might not work 100% of the time if you consider things like fog (See Lumeria) and mountains... etc. ; And how could you trust that no one (People, animals, nature...) tampered with the balloons if you don't have someone monitoring them?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Thunder-squall

If we ever do a role-play thing, I want to be one of the characters involved in this endeavor, and I'm sure he'll figure out a way.

Luna_blade

Quote from: Thunder-squall on 25, February, 2014, 06:12:08 PM
How do we know Weyard isn't curved slightly?

But if I were a Kraden-type fellow on Weyard, I'd probably have sent up a few hot-air balloons in the center of and on the perimeters of Weyard, and observed whether they appeared as if they were on the same plane when viewed from each other.  Basically, I assume that whatever passes for atmosphere could have helped control that all the balloons rose to the same height (given the same weights, and all), and ... well, it makes sense in my head, but I don't know if I'm conveying it properly... I'm a bit tired.

Well that makes sense. And you are properly conveying it.

EDIT: I don't know if any of you guys know the Discworld series (Terry Pratchett)?
Weyard seriously reminds me of discworld. There was also this whole thing were the scientist tried to find out how their world worked... by looking over the edge. Perhaps we might want to do something like this for our DC revival project? (I was planning something similar for my game)

I know I'm referencing silly @#$% again, but with it I'm pointing out how something can be a good thing (or done before).
Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

Thunder-squall

Do the research with me! Join the Forum Roleplay characters, 2014 thread, where we set out to answer these very questions.