News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

forums vs real life (or traditional social interactions): how are we different?

Started by Thunder-squall, 13, January, 2014, 11:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder-squall

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Ironic that you ask this now, after saying "when you're not the talking type" in the cbox. As you have seen for the past bit, I am one of the most currently active members at the moment, but in real life... I would say I'm the shy type.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Teawater on 13, January, 2014, 11:24:14 PM
Ironic that you ask this now, after saying "when you're not the talking type" in the cbox. As you have seen for the past bit, I am one of the most currently active members at the moment...
No. It's not ironic at all, and I'm not being inconsistent.  When it comes to work, you clearly no longer think it's worth the effort to tell people what you're doing, because you no longer expect that it'll yield you any positive benefit, in terms of getting people to join you in your work, or to care about your work.  In contrast, look at my "tell me what to code" thread, and you can see that I'm not yet as jaded (or rather, I'm more naive).

When it comes to work, you're clearly not the talking type.  I, in contrast, clearly love to talk, express, and brainstorm.  We are both, I believe, men of action (evidence by the fact that we're actually coding), and we are both active on the site, but we are still very, very different in how we communicate.  So yeah.  You are not the talking type.  It's not intended as an offense.

There's also a difference when people talk because they feel obligated to, and when they talk because they have something they want to express, or know about.  Your "Microwave" thread, for example, was clearly an act of obligation and loyalty to the site, to get more "activity" for it. And that's noble and good, but I do not believe for a second you have a genuine interest in microwaves... You're a microwave hipster. hipster hipster hipster.

Oh goodness. You are coming to conclusions... Not saying they are right or wrong, but...

-I am very interested in sharing my coding efforts with others.
-You may be correct that I feel it's mostly a waste of time saying what I have. Because right now, it's not as much as I'd want it to be, unfortunately. Not to mention how new I am to Java. And believe it or not, but sometimes procrastination will get in the way.
-No one has even volunteered to work on the beginnings of the editor's creation, so I can't see anyone working on it before the time of its first release. (And most of the stuff might be complicated anyhow, since some of it may deal with assembly code-- which people would likely ignore.)
-It also doesn't help that this site is somewhat inactive, anyway.

Microwave Thread: I posted that because the time I caught a paper towel on fire (well, burnt w/ sparks) was in fact sooner than what I made it sound like. ;) And I threw it in the fireplace because I got scared.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Wolf

I often have a better opportunity to talk about more topics online.  This usually leads to more conversations that tend to be shorter than they would be face to face with an informed individual.

Thunder-squall

You'd think conversations on the internet would be more informed, since people had the power of Google and Wikipeia.

Quote from: Teawater on 13, January, 2014, 11:24:14 PM
Ironic that you ask this now, after saying ...

I'm still peeved that you keep trying to paint me has a hypocrite.  It's *technically* incorrect, and if you were trying to point at my flaws or short comings, I'd rather you at least be accurate.  Even in real life, I have a problem when people imply things that are unfair...

As an aside, one reason I'm not volunteering with the editor is because I don't think there's a future in hacking gba or other roms.  In fact, the main reason I joined the site was exactly to ask you guys what kept you motivated.  And what I found was that basically you weren't... I mean, what more is there to say?

It's great that this site exists for the few that are into the hobby, but really, if you're making a rom-editor, then you're making something that will do the hacking for people, and people themselves won't have to hack...  So is that still hacking?  Or have you shifted into game-making?  I think you've shifted into game-making.  And making a rom-hacker is basically a less efficient way to make a game.

I'd be with you if you were making a game.  And that's basically what I'm doing with my thread.

Okay... maybe I worded myself incorrectly.  I guess I was surprised that you all of a sudden start implying that I'm not willing to talk right after I said:

QuoteIt's okay to ask, but generally, I think it's like telling someone what heaven is like without them experiencing it. (Or what the world is like without them experiencing.) In other words, I'm saying that the only real way to know about what I'm doing is to jump in a plan around with the tool. (I think.)

I think I may have been vague and should have answered the question directly: Yes, I want people to know what I'm doing, but I'm not entirely sure what to say at the moment. (Aside from what I have already said.)

(Edit: ironic = unexpected. (See dictionary.com, 3rd meaning...))

I realize that making a full rom-editor may be less efficient, but one of the best things about it is learning what you can do. Even for simple educational purposes. Hacking or not, I still think it's in the direction of reverse engineering. ; I was also hoping that when the basic foundation was complete, you could just go into the text files and add a bit of info to make them compatible with other ROMs with much less work on a hacker's end. But I cannot say for sure how that would go.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Knight of Purgatory

MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES

We all do, unfortunately. Because without it, we wouldn't be alive. That means the forums wouldn't be here. Golden Sun would have never had an editor, much less, ever been hacked..., or ever been made, even.... and well, that's that.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

(edit: @ Tea, I can't tell, but do you know that he was joking?)

Quote from: Knight of Purgatory on 14, January, 2014, 02:30:06 AM
WHO NEEDS REAL LIFE
on a side note, is there a better phrase to describe our "social security" identities?  Should we call them our 'voting' lives? (assuming we're all in places where we can vote).

Because I don't want to imply that our lives here are any less "real,"  But "RL" seems like a commonly accepted term.

Yes, ofcourse he was joking. He didn't even back up his claim.

I would think of these identities as Virtual Identities and Real Life Identities... Much like Virtual World and Real World. To be or not to be reality.

By the way, ironic= unexpected... I guess is what I meant... Sorry about being vague.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Teawater on 14, January, 2014, 02:36:26 AM
We all do, unfortunately. Because without it, we wouldn't be alive. That means the forums wouldn't be here....
On the flip side, Socrates theoretically claimed that many Philosophers *didn't* want to be alive, and wanted to be in a state of un-death, apart from life, so that they could better observe it.

Those same philosophers would also probably start a long argument on whether the forums are really here or not...

But Real Life is the world around you. Or so I thought. So the undead can roam arund in real life all they want, and this forum would still be here.... temporarily, until it one day dies... like that. (Hypothetically speaking.)

To every ending there's a new beginning.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

Rocks are real, and rocks can bump up against rocks.  But minds can't bump up against rocks-- Minds can only bump against ideas, and other minds.  And those aren't physical in the way rocks are.  They're abstract.

The question is:  Is an idea in the real world any more or less real than an idea online?  Or even an idea unspoken?

I think not. The only the thing "the real world" provides is consistence -- the persistence of reality even when there are no abstract minds (ie. trees falling in a forest when there's no one there to hear them fall; documentation for a Golden Sun editor even when there's no one there to read it...)

Quote from: dictionary.com
real = true (1st definition.) There's even a definition saying "not imaginary."

An idea is real as an idea, but the contents on the idea might not be real.

Anyway, the internet is real, but it isn't real life. (Ex: There are no living beings in the internet.)

If no organisms are around, there's no life.... but if you or someone thought your doll qualified as life... then there's no real life...

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Misery

I can tell you all that I'm getting a lot more said online than I do in real life. I find it much easier to let out my thoughts when I can see them all at once. Even talking to me in a chat is generally a lot more productive than talking to me face-to-face would be.

Knight of Purgatory

MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES

Thunder-squall

Did either of you used to keep diaries?  I wonder if writing online is a lot like writing to yourself, and carrying on an internal monologue.

If you ask me, unfortunately not. I have once thought that it would be a good idea to keep one, but then again, it's hardly worth bothering. (And I perfer math over English, anyhow.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

I've kept diaries.  Not in any real consistent and organized manner, but I've been known to write a lot for my private reading pleasure.