News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Password Security

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 15, March, 2014, 02:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

What does everyone do for password security?

Do you use the same password for everything? Or certain passwords for different things? (Like if it has money value, social value, or what other.)

How about usernames and emails? Do you use different ones for different circumstances, or the same one?

This question is being asked because the more times you use a certain password, the more likely it'll be un-secure. Not all sites are trustworthy, so if you register to the wrong one at the wrong time with your common details, the perpetrators have your log-in info.

You might wonder why I'm posting this topic in Tech, but that's because this might closely relate to Password Managers.

Password Managers could make is easier to:
-Make new unguessable passwords.
-Follow password guidelines.

And if you can store a file that lists all your passwords into Google Drive, or a Thumb Drive... you should still be able to get around on other computers. This doesn't mean you are 100% safe from password theft, however. Since you still have to avoid malwares, etc. (And especially don't fall into a Cryptolocker trap where files get encrypted.)

Discuss.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Thunder-squall

I kinda use variations of the same three or four passwords and user names for everything.  I hadn't worried much about privacy because I don't have that much money to be stolen, but I should probably start paying more attention to this.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Same. I don't have much money for it to matter a lot if it was stolen either...

Identity Theft and reputation would probably be more important, anyway?

Even without money, people can still ruin your credit report just by having your name, date of birth, and social security number, I think.

One of the password managers I was looking at recently was Last Pass (lastpass.com)... It's free, and it seems interesting. ; Even without a whole lot of risk, it's probably worth using just to get in a habit of using it...

Although, a long time ago (I think it was around 2009?), I learned about Fast Access... which also seems to store passwords for log-ins... but that's Face Recognition software.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)