News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Bravely Default

Started by Atrius, 18, January, 2014, 06:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

The game doesn't come out in the US till Feb 7th, but there's a demo on the eShop now.

I've been hearing a lot of good about this game so I decided to check it out.  I rather like the battle system, you have the choice to "Brave" and use an extra turn or "Default" to defend and save a turn for later.  You can use turns in advance too, so if you're feeling brave (pun not intended) you can attack the enemy at full force right away to try to defeat them quickly, but if you fail to do so you're stuck standing there taking a beating for the next few turns.

The enemies can also use this mechanic, so for example there's one boss I've fought that likes to default a couple turns then use his strongest attack multiple times in a row later on.  I was pretty much forced to default (which also defends) when he braved so I could survive.  Then everyone in my party could use two turns the next cycle (Except my healer who I had default several turns in advance so they could act 4 times now and get everyone back to 100%)

I can't comment on story or much else since the demo doesn't really cover it, but you should check it out if you haven't.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Thunder-squall

I've been seeing ads for it. Is there supposed to be some economic theme or metaphor beneath it?  I guess I should check Wikipedia, and see what the original name was.

Parloo

This game looks great. Is it overly complex or is it easy enough to get into the jobs character classes etc?

Thunder-squall

I'll confess that I walked away from Final Fantasy Tactics because I didn't understand what all the different things meant-- I didn't know how to figure out which decisions were the 'right' ones.  So I don't mind complexity, as long as the mechanics are transparent.  "Easy to pick up, hard to master" as they say.

Misery

Amen to that. I've played a lot of great games which I wouldn't have kept playing for nearly as long if I didn't understand the mechanics, and that is almost exclusively done by the means of a guide or somesuch. I wish more games would start making that information at least somehow accessible in the games themselves. Pokémon comes to mind, it has been gradually improving on this, but it still has a lot of hidden values and stuff. Also, played Etrian Odyssey II recently - some skills are worse when you level them up, while on the other hand some are worthless until they're at max level, and some are worthless altogether. IMO, difficulty that comes from making uninformed decisions is fake difficulty (still love that game though).

But yeah, Bravely Default... I'm very interested in this game. Will get it with near certainty, at some point at least. I just hope I'll have time to play it... *shudders*

Thunder-squall

I think it's been long enough that you guys have probably clocked at least 30 hours on the game.  How does it hold up?  Could the town-building thing be applied to a Golden Sun setting (home to perpetual natural disasters), and be used to realize some of the clan stuff you guys have been role playing?  How would you adapt it to the Golden Sun setting?

Knight of Purgatory

I have it and I like it. The bosses in the last 2 chapters are a beastly pain though.
MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES