News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

puzzles in future games

Started by Thunder-squall, 24, January, 2014, 11:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder-squall

In Dark Dawn, you can  push blocks around, but only in pre-set grooves.  You can cause wind panels to twirl in the air, but you can't move them.  You can cause vines to grow, but you can't burn them away, or plant new vines.  These are all things which help keep puzzles under control, but are also things for which the players need to suspend their disbelief.  Are these 'unrealistic' stuff just things we've come to accept as players (i.e. that you don't slip off of ice columns when you hop over them), or do players want these puzzles to be 'more realistic?  If so, how? And I'm sure that 'realistic' isn't the right word.  Maybe 'free?'  'Less constrained?'  Has stuff like MineCraft and Terreria made players want different kinds of puzzles?

Or the puzzles only in the game to break the monotony of random battles, and don't have to be as impressive as stand-alone puzzle games today?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

I think I like the art. (Not art as in just graphics, but art as in design techniques and other interesting stuff, etc.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Raetah

I would like to have harder puzzles, but to keep the game accesible to everyone and also i think that it would be good, dungeons need alternative routes, so if for example if you are stuck in one puzzle you can try to find an alternative way, though this may causes to miss better treasures or djinn in the hard and longer option, also players like me would actually explore any route possible, so this would make Golden Sun a more exploration-friendly game.

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Raetah on 25, January, 2014, 06:31:57 PM
I would like to have harder puzzles, but to keep the game accesible to everyone and also i think that it would be good, dungeons need alternative routes, so if for example if you are stuck in one puzzle you can try to find an alternative way, though this may causes to miss better treasures or djinn in the hard and longer option, also players like me would actually explore any route possible, so this would make Golden Sun a more exploration-friendly game.

I've had the idea of letting the players switch between two different parties in the same game.  Therefore they may need to go through the same dungeon, but using different parties, and different psienergies.