News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

old and new ideas for FIRE psienergy

Started by Thunder-squall, 03, February, 2014, 09:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder-squall

Some of you know I'm considering programming my own Golden Sun style game. What are the various ways that FIRE psi energy has been used, and might be used in the future?  What are pros and cons for using them.

STANDARD STUFF I REMEMBER FROM DARK DAWN
> Melt ice block (to counter iceblock mercury psi energy)
> evaporate puddle (to counter rain mercury psi energy)
> trigger engine (there need to be engine objects)
> increase updraft from a bonfire (requires bonfire)

OTHER
> turn on torches to light an area (requires implementing a 'darkness' system)
> Burn away brush (to counter an "overgrowth" venus psi energy)
> heat sand, stone, or metal floor to cause updraft and make panels float (like the wind panels in Dark Dawn)

> create or trigger some kind of heater or heat source to counter the natural cold.  This would require inventing effects for the natural cold.   In Valdis Story (worth googling, me thinks), cold areas cause HP drain.  I like the idea of it slowing down player initiative during random battles, or maybe being a feature which prevents other psi-energy from being used (i.e. growing vines). 

More simply, the heater may also counter the effects of ice switch that would turn watered areas into ice.

> What about "Rocket boost" to enable a little bit of flight, or a boost to a jump ability?  I hear there was a Jupiter psi-energy that did something similar?

Luna_blade

That's some nice ideas you've got there.
A 'darkness' system already exists. Not necessarily the kind of system you're wanting but it exists.
http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Altmiller_Cave
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Thunder-squall

I read that wiki entry a few weeks ago and I remember realizing where you had got your avatar from.  That was a cool moment for me.  I just went back to it again, and I see what you mean about the darkness.

So was that a mechanic you liked, or would you tweak something about it?  I think others have also used darkness to change the type of monsters one encounters.

I've long since been thinking about a single beast form character, and if the character had dark vision (the ability to see in the dark), turning on and off torches would be a way for him to... I dunno.  Avoid guards, or lead normal humans to safety.