News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Do you think the GBA Golden Sun games needed a sequel at all?

Started by Thunder-squall, 06, February, 2014, 05:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder-squall

While we all want more of what we love, do you think the GBA Golden Sun games needed a sequel at all?

Would it be ok if Dark Dawn never existed?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

That's a somewhat difficult question for me...

They might not have needed a sequel since the entire mission of both games was to light the four lighthouses.  But when you consider why alchemy was sealed, a sequel could have worked that problem out. ; I'm thinking maybe we should have had a remake combining GS1 and GS2, but maybe(?) with more story elements/puzzles/etc. before, during, and after the events of GS1 and GS2. (Possibly being a game that is twice as long as GS1 and GS2 combined?)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Thunder-squall

Huh? Me being vague again? I never said that it wasn't clear. It was sealed because the world was leading to its destruction because of alchemy being too powerful/abused. Lighting the four lighthouses unseals the alchemy... so where are we at, now? The same thing happening again...

I think it's like inflation and recession. Whether it's sealed or not doesn't keep you out of danger. It has to be maintained.  To sum this all up: Did the games ever have a solution to keep alchemy permanently maintained? If this question wasn't answered, I stand by what I said. (But I have a feeling the answer will always be no, because there just isn't a way.)

P.S. = Would talking about the sealing vs. unsealing of alchemy count as "talking in binaries"?
-People who knew alchemy was bad, sealed it. Without realizing that would lead to destruction.
-People unsealing alchemy knew not having it was bad... but could have not known how bad it was to have it without being warned.
-Knowing that both are bad ends helps us conclude that being in the middle is where it's at. (The one that is more "right" than the other two, but probably not straight-forward/obvious.)

The same applies with knowledge, I believe.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Thunder-squall

O I see.  Well isn't it the point of the Golden Sun games that you can never reach a steady state, and that there'll always be problems, or a changing of the status quo?  It seems like it'd be against the spirit of the series to find any sort of permanent solution to anything.

I assumed GS fans would just want more and more moral "gray-area."

The exception is under some sort of miraculous miracle that usually never happens. (If there was such a thing.) But then, what would a steady state be? I'm thinking it's different for everyone. So... the term "relative" comes to mind.

Still though, finding others ways/viewpoints on stuff like alchemy might be interesting for more story elements? Maybe..?

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Teawater on 06, February, 2014, 09:12:41 PM
The exception is under some sort of miraculous miracle that usually never happens. (If there was such a thing.) But then, what would a steady state be? I'm thinking it's different for everyone. So... the term "relative" comes to mind.

Still though, finding others ways/viewpoints on stuff like alchemy might be interesting for more story elements? Maybe..?

dude, your answer to everything is "maybe."

Raetah

Good question, sometimes Dark Dawn makes me think that it would be better to have no-sequel.
But well, at this point i think that Dark Dawn was determinant and there is a reason for the existance of the game, though i can not explain this much better.
Now in regard to your question, GBA Golden Sun games needed a sequel?
Not necessarilly a sequel, but we needed something more of Camelot.

There are plenty of options:

-Prequel, Weyard history seems to be really intense in the past with many conflicts for power.

-Another game, with another history, and it takes place in an different world or in an alternative Weyard, Golden Sun, could be the name for a game series   that they are not connected aparently, just like Final Fantasy to put an example.
-Spiritual Sucessor of Golden Sun, a game that it shares similar mechanics and aesthetics with Golden Sun without being a Golden Sun.

-Remake of the original games combined adding new content. And the online mode.

-And finally a Sequel, but a better one. I dont really think that it was THAT HARD, but checking this:
http://killstreakmedia.com/2013/04/26/will-there-be-a-golden-sun-4
Specifically this:
"Speaking personally from the perspective of the story, I think that honestly it may not be so likely because Golden Sun really requires a full effort to be put in. But of course, if there are enough people saying that we really must create another game, then we may just have to listen to them. Still, you would need to give me a bit of time to work on ideas for the story before we could release a fourth game in the series."

If that statement is real and looking how Dark Dawn was in history, i think that they dont really should make fourth game at all.
Because, sorry for my possible arrogance, but i think that i could think a better history to a Golden Sun sequel.

Here is a list of my preferances if Camelot decides to do something about Golden Sun and RPG:
1º Remake and Expansion of GBA.
2º Spiritual Sucessor, a different game with similar gameplay and aspect.
3º Golden Sun in a different world or an alternive Weyard with a different history.
4º Prequel to Golden Sun.
5º Second attempt to sequel to Golden Sun ignoring Dark Dawn (unlikely).
6º Sequel to Dark Dawn, if they improve the gameplay i will forgive the issues of History, promise.

Thunder-squall

I'd like a story of the ancients, or whatever old civilizations that were referenced in Dark Dawn.  I'd like to see what kind of advanced stuff there were during the glory days.

Quotedude, your answer to everything is "maybe."
Problem?

@Raetah: Even in truth, you still can't take what people say 100% literally. (Especially since people have changing minds.) ; (But yeah, that message does make you think they might use the same strategy they did with GS3, doesn't it?) ; I also want to note that if you fail the first time, one should try again until they get it right... uhh... sort of. With most things in life, over time you get better. (With many exceptions...)

But yeah, a remake, or a new RPG with great potential.... I guess? (The reason I consider a new RPG, is because I want to see what other stories/gameplay they could come up with when there are fewer boundaries.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Wolf

Yes because there were a lot of unanswered questions.

No; Fewer people would know about the Golden Sun series and fewer fans would exist.

Quote from: Thunder-squall on 06, February, 2014, 12:47:45 PM
I thought it was clear why Alchemy was sealed?

They are very vague about why alchemy was sealed.  Dark Dawn made it more clear due to the presence of alchemy machines, related devices, the villainous Tuaparang who are technologically advanced enough to create flying ships and know a lot about Weyard's history,  the Jenei who were the original adepts, and the Exathi who crafted the alchemy machines.  Basically a bigger sense of scale was given to the history of the series as well as a possible conflict.  There's a lot more revealed in the in-game lore.

Thunder-squall

But of course stories can be complete without everything in the story being known.  Wasn't the arc of the Golden Sun games complete?