News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

turn based vs. action rpgs

Started by Thunder-squall, 07, February, 2014, 11:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder-squall

Raetah

I dont know what to say, we are in an era that is more friendly to Action Rpgs than to Turn based rpgs.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

@Raetah: Once was Turned-based, now is Action, what do you think comes next? Social or physical interaction with a game? (Ex: There are the goggles one can wear. When you rotate your head, it's like you do it in game as well... Etc. ... This just goes to show games are appearing more like real life in their own way, doesn't it?)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Misery

I like turn-based games a lot. I like being able to choose the speed I play at. I like games where I have time to think, and where there's a lot to think about. If I have a favorite genre, it might be SRPGs, and I know there are a lot of good ones I haven't bit into yet.

My favorite model of turn-based RPGs can be seen in Riviera: The Promised Land (GBA/PSP/Wonderswan). Instead of everyone acting in a specified (or random) turn order, every action made generates a "wait" value which determines how long it will be until that character can make their next action. So if you used a level 3 overdrive skill, there will likely be a bit of recovery and the enemy may get to move twice before that character, while if you used a support skill, it won't be long until you can act again.

It's worth noting though, that the game also uses the somewhat unconventional system of all attacks being made using breakable items.

*Downloads Riviera so I take a quick look at it... Not sure if I'll do much with it, though?* Ah. It's a game that takes over 16 MB.  0x09031448+ is FF filled... so it's using the largest cartridge.  (I am not sure, but would you hack in the overdrive feature to a Golden Sun hack? Or would turning Golden Sun into your favorite type of turned-based battling mess it up?)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Misery

The over skill system has nothing to do with the turn system, I just gave an example of something that would cause a lot of delay between turns. What I mean is:

A turn in Golden Sun = All enemies and playable characters act
A turn in Riviera = One player or enemy acts

Other games, like Chrono Trigger and FFVI/VII work similarly, with a gauge that fills for every character to determine when their turn occurs. There are two important differences with those games though:
1 - Time between turns does not vary according to action
2 - They're "real time turn based", meaning enemies can attack while you're choosing an action. I wouldn't go so far as to say it ruins those games, but I think they would've been better with true turn based.

And to answer your question... sure, why not. If anything, it might make the Agility stat more useful.

I can imagine Riviera takes up a lot of space because of the graphics, all backgrounds are paintings rather than made up of tilesets, and there are also large portraits of all characters and enemies.

Oh thanks. I never really looked into those types of turned-based battles, so I guess I didn't really understand at first. (Unfortunately, I am not well-acquainted with games like Chrono Trigger, etc. , even though I've probably heard them a number of times?)

QuoteA turn in Golden Sun = All enemies and playable characters act.
If the Djinni Battle RPG topic is to go by, I think the term is called "Round"? (Bouts, Rounds, Skirmishes) ; But yeah, that is true. ... Golden Sun does Rounds, while Riveria... I mean, Riviera doesn't....

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Misery

Yeah, calling it a round might be less confusing. Didn't think of that. I guess I'm just used to turn-based strategy, where you have "Player turn" and "Enemy turn", where the side in question gets to move all their respective units.

Thunder-squall

"Turn-based" is a pretty established phrase though.  Mega Man Battle Network is something that I think of more as having 'rounds,' as in boxing, or whatever.

--
The World Ends with You was interesting because you basically had two ways of fighting a battle (top screen vs. bottom screen), and I've heard you could mix and match your attention to either as you pleased.

So what's the world on multiple battle resolution mechanics in the same game?  Would you rather variety of systems, or depth in a [single] system?

Misery

Multiple battle resolution mechanics sounds like a generally bad idea from a game design standpoint. Not as much because of lack of depth as because it's much harder to build a game around both of them, and one of them (or in the worst case, both) will end up being underdeveloped or overlooked.

This can probably vary a lot depending on the case though, so it's hard to take a general stance.

Thunder-squall

Are we considering the Legend of Zelda games on the DS to be RPGs?

Misery

I wouldn't know, I haven't played any of them. But assuming they play like classical Zeldas, I guess most people would consider them action-adventure.

mickbrown

Turn based, it allows me to think my moves better and analyze the situation completely, although I don't dislike the action ones, they tend to make me nervous ops:

Thunder-squall

Magical Star Sign (I think like the Paper Mario RPGs) has a turn based system, but also has a small timing-component to carrying out spells.  Having played a bunch of Eador recently, I think I'm a fan of just sitting back and letting my plans unfold, rather than taking an active part.

Lord Wolfram

Turn based is my favorite one.
4 or 5 years ago I played on nes game
called  Dragon warrior.
Those battles were impressive.
then I played final fantasy and it was Action Rpgs.
Now to chose witch one is better?
Spell called haste is effective in ff.
speed up in dragon warrior is giving
opportunity  to strike  the first.
The same  thing is in gs.
So in my eyes there is no winner!

Thunder-squall

Probably going to play "Battle for Wesnoth" soon.  Anyone heard of it?  Would tactics games like it count as RPGs in the context of this discussion?  Obviously it *could,* since Dungeons and Dragons itself uses a tactics type battle resolution mechanic.  But I know non table-top roleplayers tend to have different perspectives.