News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

user names

Started by Thunder-squall, 10, February, 2014, 10:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder-squall

I'm not so involved with online communities, and so my user name "Thunder-squall," doesn't really appear anywhere else.  But on the flip side, I've noticed Misery (at least) has a common name across multiple groups. What are your guys' general thoughts on naming and such?  

I was recently thinking of how to include credits in my software, and it dawned upon me that with virutal names, is that even really useful?  As with surnames, would it make sense to say "Misery of GS hacking," as oppose to (or distinguish from) "Misery of the herpaderp place?"

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

The title of this thread makes it look like a duplicate to http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=1298.0 ... but I see you aren't actually asking how we got our names...

Real names are the same way. I have a common first/last name combination, and so does Robert Joe, another user on this forum. ; If you are going to use credits, might as well link to a site, right? (Like the main site(s) your software can be found.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Thunder-squall

When I say credits, I mean to give attribution to contributors.  Like you know that thing that plays at the end of movies?  This is a bit off topic, but there are a few reasons why I'm thinking about the credits for something that's not even made yet:

1) I figure that programming a credit sequence would be a challenging feat, in and of itself.

2) It'll be a good way to think of all the things that need to be done, and which haven't yet been done.

3) By including the option to check out the credits, people can see all the things that need to be done, and for which they could conceivably volunteer.

4) People who do step up get immediate accreditation in the prototyping process, and provides an incentive to step up.

This isn't so relevant now, but the more I think of programming, the more I see this will be an issue at some point.

EDIT:
sorry, so the point of all that was that I need to reference individuals, not sites.

And what's the point of linking to the site where people can download the software, if they already have the software?  I guess it's a good idea for letting people know where they can find updates and stuff.

So this raises the question as to where the "home" for your software should be: sites (like godenSunHacking.net) vs. individuals (like ThunderSquall@SquallMail.com).  And now it's easy as anything to get a Google Plus or Facebook page.

Yes, I know what Credits are. Also, I never said to not use names, if that's what it sounded like, but oh well... I still like what listing websites have to offer: Public feedback.

I don't think programming slide-scrolling credits would be challenging, unless you include more complex stuff?... Although, I've never done slide-scrolling myself.  I wonder if using a panel with a scrollbar would work. (Hide the scrollbar and make it move automatically... Ofcourse, you could make the scrollbar appear for debugging/testing purposes, if you wanted to.) I haven't tried that, though.

QuoteAnd what's the point of linking to the site where people can download the software, if they already have the software?  I guess it's a good idea for letting people know where they can find updates and stuff.
Exactly.

And you have to consider what if someone forgot where they got the program from? Or what if someone took your software and uploaded it elsewhere, then everyone would still know where the software originally came from. And... people would have an obvious place to give public feedback.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Misery

No idea. Or, well... if you assume people already know the site, I don't see the problem with just using the screen names as they are. Otherwise... I wonder if I'm the only person in the world who actually reads readmes occasionally. That's probably where I'd put my credit if I had something to credit someone else for.

You have to ask yourself, what purpose do you credit people for - so that others can know who they are, or so the people in question can feel credited?

FYI I use this name on three sites - this one, Adept's Refuge, and Metroid Construction (where I haven't been active in ages, but I plan to make a comeback someday...)

QuoteYou have to ask yourself, what purpose do you credit people for - so that others can know who they are, or so the people in question can feel credited?
I know one purpose: To give everyone an idea of how many people helped you in your project.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

My purpose would be to give people some sort of ownership or sense of camaraderie over the endeavor, which may transform them into stronger advocates of the project, and even take part more.  It's not "payment," per se, but kind of a group photograph.  The idea is to include people in a sort of 'shared experience.'  Like how bands sell shirts that are specific to certain concerts or tours?  KickStarter may be another good example of how people can get sort of addicted to the feeling like they're making a difference in something they're somewhat removed from.  I think these forums might be another.  But of course giving people credit runs counter to protecting their anonymity.

My other purpose is to facilitate collaboration.  I.e. credits are not only a great way to give props to those who step forward, but may also be a great way to identify the type of people who've stepped forward, and who might like to contribute to other stuff.  This isn't a big deal if all the collaboration is taking place on a single forum, but if it's taking place across multiple online spaces, then the credits could serve as a useful tool to connect different communities.

The other stuff TeaWater mentioned would certainly be useful to put in the credits (or a ReadMe text file), but I suppose in this topic I'm more concerned with the question of anonymity vs. accreditation.

Misery

Thinking a bit more about it, people can go and say "I contributed to this project" if they want others to know, so there shouldn't be any reason to be overly specific in the credits.

Thunder-squall

I could be awesome and know I'm awesome, and even if there's no "reason" for someone else to tell me so, I think I'd still get additional positive stimulus if someone else told me I was awesome.  And from a psychological perspective, I think that positive stimulus would impact by behavior and habits. Essentially it's just additional bit of positive reinforcement, and social validation.

And speaking of social validation, I do think some people rely on the outside world to give them a sense of purpose and duty.  For example, the fight over marriage equality wouldn't be such a big deal if there weren't stakes to the "social contract."  And this is why people have long since had public wedding ceremonies, even if all they really need to do is make a tacit agreement.  I'm not saying that working on a fan project is as big a deal as a life long commitment, but cultures all across space and time have used various form of public declarations to incentivise people to behave in different ways.

Would being involved in the credits have the same effect?  Heck if I know.  And it's not something I'm going to lose sleep over.  But I was going to lay the code out for some credits anyway, and that got me thinking, so I just posted here.

So back to the topic:  Do you guys have a preference for sticking to the same "code name" across different sites?  How much do you value your "second identity?"

QuoteSo back to the topic:  Do you guys have a preference for sticking to the same "code name" across different sites?  How much do you value your "second identity?"
Mostly yes, but I have had several. Teawater and charleysdrpepper/charleysdp1 are probably my most commonly used names.  And no, that does not resemble my real name at all...

(Teawater is sort of still new... since I came up with it back in 2011, was it...?  While I've been charleysdrpepper since like 2004?)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Misery

Quote from: Thunder-squall on 12, February, 2014, 01:28:36 PM
I could be awesome and know I'm awesome, and even if there's no "reason" for someone else to tell me so, I think I'd still get additional positive stimulus if someone else told me I was awesome.  And from a psychological perspective, I think that positive stimulus would impact by behavior and habits. Essentially it's just additional bit of positive reinforcement, and social validation.
Whoa whoa, I only said there was no reason to be overly specific, I didn't say you don't need to include anyone in the credits. What I mean is, all I need to do is list "Thunder_squall" in the credits under the "Being Awesome" section, and kapoof, you will know that you are awesome, and everyone who comes here will know as well. Even if there happens to be other people named Thunder_squall over 10 different sites, if you claim you're the one referred to in the credits, it's normally fairly easy to verify.

QuoteSo back to the topic:  Do you guys have a preference for sticking to the same "code name" across different sites?  How much do you value your "second identity?"
I would gladly use mine in more places, but given that it's a common word and given the amount of angsty people on the internet, it's bound to be occupied in the more popular user databases.

Thunder-squall

My bad, I was just thinking out loud.  I'm genuinely curious about how people on the internet feel attached to things which aren't real (in a way), and where they don't even exactly exist (in a way). And I wonder what impact recognition has for them. I'm making arguments, but I don't quite believe those arguments yet.  They're just hypotheses, really.

For example, Rolina's last conversation in the 'returning users thread' mentioned that her only motivation for checking in was her responsibility towards her clan.  THAT'S SUPER INTERESTING.  I mean the fact that she felt a sense of responsibility to something that clearly no longer served a purpose, and probably wouldn't amount to anything in the future.  Was she motivated by high expectations of what the group might someday do, or was it her identity of "Rolina" that she was trying to live up to?  Contrast that with people who walked away much, much sooner.  This is just really interesting stuff.

In fact, the reason I initially posted on goldensunhacking.net was to ask what kept you guys with a site so long after the subject matter had (from my perspective) become obsolete, since rpg makers had come such a long way, and you guys actually did get a sequel on the DS. I've learned a bit more since then, and am still learning more.  But there's still a lot of interesting meta stuff going on.

QuoteIn fact, the reason I initially posted on goldensunhacking.net was to ask what kept you guys with a site so long after the subject matter had (from my perspective) become obsolete, since rpg makers had come such a long way, and you guys actually did get a sequel on the DS. I've learned a bit more since then, and am still learning more.  But there's still a lot of interesting meta stuff going on.
I have a feeling that going to GSHC a lot could be related to addiction. Especially when there's not a lot of other priorities on the mind?  Plus, it is one place to talk with other GS fans... ; Think of it like home. Why do you always go back to your place of living? You get bored of it, right? Why not just move somewhere new everyday? Travel to your nearest motel, for example.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Misery

Quote from: Thunder-squall on 12, February, 2014, 02:58:44 PMMy bad, I was just thinking out loud.  I'm genuinely curious about how people on the internet feel attached to things which aren't real (in a way), and where they don't even exactly exist (in a way). And I wonder what impact recognition has for them. I'm making arguments, but I don't quite believe those arguments yet.  They're just hypotheses, really.

For example, Rolina's last conversation in the 'returning users thread' mentioned that her only motivation for checking in was her responsibility towards her clan.  THAT'S SUPER INTERESTING.  I mean the fact that she felt a sense of responsibility to something that clearly no longer served a purpose, and probably wouldn't amount to anything in the future.  Was she motivated by high expectations of what the group might someday do, or was it her identity of "Rolina" that she was trying to live up to?  Contrast that with people who walked away much, much sooner.  This is just really interesting stuff.
Yes, I also think that's an extremely interesting subject. One's internet persona actually becoming something like a roleplaying character. I'd say learning more about that was one of my draws to join this site, and with the time I've spent here and on GSAR I think I've learned a bit more about it, although I have never been able to fully identify myself with it. Rolina may be the strongest example I've seen of this... honestly, it's a shame no one in the GS fandom plays her game.

As for myself... I don't distinguish much between my real-life and online identity, but I can say my online identity is definitely better defined in a number of ways.

Well, I feel like I'm trying to say something more here, but the words fail me.

Quote from: Thunder-squall on 12, February, 2014, 02:58:44 PMIn fact, the reason I initially posted on goldensunhacking.net was to ask what kept you guys with a site so long after the subject matter had (from my perspective) become obsolete, since rpg makers had come such a long way, and you guys actually did get a sequel on the DS. I've learned a bit more since then, and am still learning more.  But there's still a lot of interesting meta stuff going on.
You have to agree it's definitely possible to have an interest in things that serve absolutely no practical purpose, but here, I can think of at least two other reasons one would still consider GS hacking.

First, if you have an already well-defined system you happen to be very fond of, but want to make something more with it, hacking makes a lot more sense than making something from scratch with an RPG maker. Especially when it comes to Golden Sun, which is probably one of the most technically advanced GBA titles from what I've seen.

And second, the part about getting a sequel... you already know that a lot of fans see it as a huge disappointment. Actually, I think I know why. The Golden Sun games had a story which the people playing them felt involved in. The ending to this story was of the open kind, not a cliffhanger, but still with a feeling of suspense. What everyone anticipated was probably a continuation of the story up to this point (I know for certain that's what I would've wanted, at least).

However, the relationship between the GBA games and the DS game can be transcribed as:
"The seal on alchemy was lifted... (the game ends at this point)
...and nothing of note happened directly after that. However, 30 years later, a new adventure begins..."

...and I think this is what really kills Dark Dawn. It's "another Golden Sun game", nothing more and nothing less. It has high production values, but that really doesn't contribute anything to the game. I mean, they could've made a better sequel on freaking GameBoy if they just made it right.

Thunder-squall

Going more in depth into a system makes a lot of sense. I.e. Iterating upon it, and building on the shoulders of giants.  That's a good enough reason to stick with anything old.

As I checked out old threads, the person who seemed to have gone deepest into that sort of stuff seemed to be Rolina (I haven't read everything, but it seemed she had a theory for everything).  And sure, having a roleplay persona may help you get more into the mindset of golden sun, and so it makes sense that Rolina was *also* really into roleplay, and the augmented reality fiction of the site.  But she didn't seem like she was much into the art, coding, etc.  So was the roleplay just her *version* of geeking out, while other people had their own versions? I think TeaWater is the perfect counter example (you have no interest in roleplay at all, right?), but what about Charon, who's now absent, although present with an altered identity?  She's behind the Brailmon project, right (Pokemon for the blind)?  Would it be fair to say that for her, identity didn't matter so much as having something concrete to work on, and something to work on?  Thinking back on it, it seems the  April Fools stuff was primarily about playing around with identities.  Is it an accident that Rolina (for whom her alt persona was clearly important) took the most objection to it?

I guess what I'm stumbling for is that there seem to be different sorts of people, and for some, identity matters, and for others, it does not.  And I can't figure out whether it's a good thing to encourage or enable people to engage with role play identities, or if it's in fact counter productive.

Is it good to care about your online identity, or your online persona?  What benefit comes from it?

[I know we're way off topic.  And sorry if what I wrote doesn't make any sense.  Truth be told, my mind's elsewhere, and I'm just getting a post in before I have to take off]

QuoteI think TeaWater is the perfect counter example (you have no interest in roleplay at all, right?)
Please tell me why you thought that...

I'm sorry, but I think you are wrong. There's a topic called Role Playing #1 that I created that proves that I had interest in role-playing. I don't lay out any sort of strict rules that Rolina might would lay out, though.

I could also say that my black yoshi in my avatar is a representation of me...I used to have it by my name at YL for the longest time, until I ended up changing it.

I think it is okay to encourage role-playing activities because you can sort of re-define yourself in another way. It's more for entertainment purposes.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

Cool.  So how come you didn't stick with your alternate persona (the way Rolina seems to have)?

And sorry if I offended you. It's just that you seemed to express no interest in the Clan stuff (and stated as much), and it seemed that the type of "role playing" Misery was referring to was basically Clan roleplaying, of the same kind that seemed to be on GS Adepts Refuge (which seems to have been the same as this clan system, except super charged).

Misery

There are, of course, many different kinds of role playing. And I do believe we're talking about different kinds here...

If I wasn't interested in Clans, then why am I leader of Venus?

Can you tell me where I said I wasn't interested in Clans? (I am interested, but I'm not at the same time.. for different reasons.)

@alternate persona: You can't expect life to always be the same, can you?

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

So, the two of you have both expressed a desire for roleplay?  What exactly are each of you talking about, and how would you bring it back?  I'm game if you are.

Quote from: Teawater on 12, February, 2014, 06:41:51 PM

Can you tell me where I said I wasn't interested in Clans? (I am interested, but I'm not at the same time.. for different reasons.)

Lol, I'm not trying to fight you, brah.  Whatever story you weave is the story I'll believe.  So... why are you head of Venus? Why are you interested, and why are you not-interested? 

And if you don't care to explain, then that's fine too.  Just let me know, so I don't have any false expectations.