Golden Sun Hacking Community
December 16, 2017, 08:42:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When's the last time you played Golden Sun (1) ?  (Read 15866 times)
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

Coins: 0

« on: April 18, 2014, 05:40:04 PM »

I started but never finished it years ago, and now I'm playing it for the first time as of a few minutes ago.

Anyone up for a sort of "Golden Sun book club?"

Status on intro
I'm digging the intro scenes, and the silent protagonist.  It's pretty effective now, though I wasn't a fan of it in Dark Dawn.  I'd be willing to discuss why it's more effective in GS1 than in DD, at least in the intro portions.

The NPCs speak and move fast enough that things don't seem to drag during 'cut scenes,' the way other RPGs tend to drag.

The only complaint that's left over from my first impression years ago is the dull color palette, and the softness of the art style.  But since I've already made up my mind not to 'judge the book based on its cover,' (and since the game's inspired some of you guys so much), I don't think that'll deter me on this play through.
View Profile
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 06:00:23 PM »

Silent Protagonist: Maybe Isaac is is afraid of storms, and that shocked him a bit...?

Things you think you might not like could become stuff you might like? Who knows. It could be like nostalgia: When you're living life, you're probably minding your own business, only to find out later, you miss all the old stuff. (Depending on what you value.)

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...
Did you know? In English, you are suppose to capitalize the languages. (e.g. English is a proper noun.) Subjects like math, science, history can be left lower-cased unless they are a title. (Kind of like how you can say either "my mom" or "Mom" in "I went with (X) to the store.", except that I don't think languages are ever lower-cased in English.) In Spanish, both subjects and languages are left lower-cased. (I put this here because I've noticed people make this mistake quite often. And am curious if they know about this, and whether they use their way because they believe this grammar usage should have never been a thing?

Remember kids! In getting a job, it's not about what you know, it's about WHO you know! So start making friends with the people that work where you want to work. :) (Friend of a friend and volunteering count too, so keep that in mind.)[/si
View Profile
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »

That squeaky voice though... Someone needs to do a GS mod where all the people are replaced with mouse-people...
View Profile

Novice Member

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 12:33:03 PM »

About the Intro...
Intro of Golden Sun 1 is much better than Intro of Dark Dawn, in Golden Sun they put you almost directly in to the action, your town is in danger, rocks are falling, you have to escape, at one point you find a man aparently wounded and you fight monsters, then you have to find someone that can helps a kid trapped in the river, then a giant rock falls aparently killing everyone in the house of the river, then you fight two mysterios persons that defeat you.

Golden Sun Dark Dawn dont balance correctly the text lenght between the play time during the intro, you have to read what happened in the other games (which is not necessary at all because in the game it explains it correctly in other forms) then you read even more text... Then even when a tense situation starts you have to keep reading, during that time i was: oh come on! Your son has fallen in a dangerous place, there is nothing to talk about, MOVE ON! But no, you have to keep reading...

I have nothing against text, but this is not the type of Intro you want to use to catch players in the game.
View Profile
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 07:17:41 PM »

That's true.  Can you start a new thread where was can talk about to have implemented the intro of Dark Dawn correctly?  Then we could turn that into a hack or something.  As I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure how I would have done DD differently.  I mean they just had so much backstory to give us...

I really liked how we first saw psi energy in GS, when the mom quickly used it to grab something, as if it was no big deal.
View Profile
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 07:46:03 PM »

I really liked how we first saw psi energy in GS, when the mom quickly used it to grab something, as if it was no big deal.
I like that as well. It makes it seem like the norm. For example, you could suspect that whenever people use their hands, they use psynergy... However, the game isn't quite heavily focused on psynergy in that way, but instead, mostly used for obstacles and battles.

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...
Did you know? In English, you are suppose to capitalize the languages. (e.g. English is a proper noun.) Subjects like math, science, history can be left lower-cased unless they are a title. (Kind of like how you can say either "my mom" or "Mom" in "I went with (X) to the store.", except that I don't think languages are ever lower-cased in English.) In Spanish, both subjects and languages are left lower-cased. (I put this here because I've noticed people make this mistake quite often. And am curious if they know about this, and whether they use their way because they believe this grammar usage should have never been a thing?

Remember kids! In getting a job, it's not about what you know, it's about WHO you know! So start making friends with the people that work where you want to work. :) (Friend of a friend and volunteering count too, so keep that in mind.)[/si
View Profile
Misery
Bad Luck

Great Member

Coins: 2

Clan Position: Mercury Hack Leader

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 05:19:11 PM »

I pick up the games occasionally, though there's admittedly very little - if anything - left for me to do.

I think the difference you're describing is GS using the "show, don't tell" approach a bit more, whereas DD essentially spoonfeeds you the entire backstory and then has everybody describing everything. I remember feeling that same irritation during DD's intro - "stop talking, we have to do stuff!"

Regarding silent protagonist in GS, I don't think it made the game either better or worse.
View Profile
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 05:58:17 PM »

I think silent protagonists are conducive to the 'let's do stuff' style.  Link on the DS is a silent protagonist, for example... Actually, a lot of RPGs have silent protagonists, but for whatever reason it really, really stuck out to me in Golden Sun games... Maybe it's the big face symbols? I guess maybe it is just my personal problem that I find the pseudo 3d a bit obnoxious.
View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »

That squeaky voice though... Someone needs to do a GS mod where all the people are replaced with mouse-people...

I just love those voices...

Man: Abululululululululu
Woman: Abililililililili

By the way (topic), I play both GBA games frequentey.
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 10

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 12:06:26 AM »

Last time?

Yesterday.  Casually on my WiiU.  It looks like crap on the TV, though - colors are all wrong.  Best played on the game pad.

View Profile WWW
JamietheFlameUser
Diamond Pokémon
Mars Clan

Does this look like the face of mercy?

Prodigy

I am: Poke poke poke poke... I can't stop it...

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 05:47:39 AM »

The problem with DD's intro is the unskippable, several-minute-long intro text scroll. GS:TLA had an intro text scroll that was almost that long, but it could be skipped just with the Start button and you wouldn't be missing anything that you won't get later on. GS:DD is that but worse: The intro is longer, unskippable, and tells you even less than the one in TLA. And not only does it spoonfeed you things that the NPCs are going to tell you anyway as soon as the game starts, it even repeats itself! And unlike the unskippable intro text in, for example, Tales of Symphonia, it isn't narrated by Cam Clarke. Instant negative points right there. GS:DD's intro text scroll could easily be half as long and get all the same information across. And you know, I probably wouldn't find the in-game dialogue so incredibly dumbed-down if the intro text scroll hadn't just told me all that.

As for the issue of Silent Protagonists, I actually prefer DD in this regard. Matthew's dialogue is sort of implied, leaving the player to fill in the blanks. It's unfortunate, then, that the emotes are so confusing and generally non-indicative.

:P

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

Spoiler for epic mindscrew:
View Profile
Luna_blade
The last member of the Luna clan
Luna Clan

Great Member

I am: Timeless. As in, i don't have much free time.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 06:19:26 AM »

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser
GS:TLA had an intro text scroll that was almost that long, but it could be skipped just with the Start button and you wouldn't be missing anything that you won't get later on.
You could skip the intro?

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.
View Profile
JamietheFlameUser
Diamond Pokémon
Mars Clan

Does this look like the face of mercy?

Prodigy

I am: Poke poke poke poke... I can't stop it...

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 07:34:52 AM »

In GS:TLA, the beginning text scroll that explains what happened in GS1 can be sped up with the B button, or skipped completely with Start. How cool is that? Not the entire tutorial area at Venus Lighthouse, or the overly-long opening conversation between Jenna, Alex, and Kraden, however.

:P

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

Spoiler for epic mindscrew:
View Profile
Knight of Purgatory
The Infernal King
Venus Clan

Join the Dark Side... FOR COOKIES

Coins: 1

I am: Selling evil cookies

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 09:05:25 AM »

I last played gs1 last month. I played gs2 recently as well but i didnt really finish it. I used to play both games often, but I think I overplayed them and I dont really feel like playing it much anymore

MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES
View Profile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Today at 05:19:46 AM
Majora: Perfect. Thank you!
Today at 04:45:37 AM
Atrius: Also, you can put use [nobbc][/nobbc] to show bbcode without it being parsed.
Today at 04:22:03 AM
Atrius: The bbcode wasn't designed to handle "https://youtu.be/" links.  It should be fixed now.
Today at 01:06:01 AM
Majora: Read that sometimes SMF doesn't like YouTube's https links, seems to have the same issue with http as well
Today at 01:04:59 AM
Majora: Sorry lol, didn't realize it would embed the player into the chat. At least that works! tl;dr: embedded YouTube videos fail to appear in forum posts
Today at 01:04:07 AM
Majora: Just noticed this, not sure if it's already been mentioned but it looks like the forum is breaking embedded YouTube links in posts using BBCode [youtube][/youtube] tags
December 13, 2017, 09:19:38 PM
Fox: Okay, so that Summon Night games adds the fram number to the seed, before generating another seed via mul/add....  (GS1-GS3 never adds the fram number.) ... So um, that makes sense! ;  Summon Night:  ((seed + frame) * 0x343FD + 0x269E3C) >> 0x10 ; Which is also on the list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_congruential_generator
December 12, 2017, 11:10:45 PM
Fox: Yes, and there could be contests. Maybe ones where 1st/2nd/3rd place get a cash reward, but eh. Dunno.... Kind of thinking about making a topic about how people got their job, and what was their experience. (e.g. Did they use references of people already working in the job, and various other things.)
December 09, 2017, 04:24:14 AM
Majora: Import old forum posts for reference, perhaps take posts containing important info like documentation away from the old stickied forum post model and make them into their own pages on a site with an in-built search bar. Might help with SEO, too. If nothing else, perhaps whipping them into PDFs and hosting them via Scribd? The possibilities are boundless when it comes to restructuring a site
December 09, 2017, 04:20:02 AM
Majora: Just a nice idea to have even if it doesn't come to fruition. Updating, modernizing, always a good idea. Could probably do something pretty nifty using a good Wordpress theme
December 09, 2017, 04:15:45 AM
Majora: Would be kind of neat to do something like that for GSHC. Could change it up a bit to show all tweets/instagram posts/facebook posts/golden sun subreddit posts all in one sidebar. It would be cool in that it gives the site it's on (and the topic in general) appear more lively and active, which is a plus
December 09, 2017, 04:14:19 AM
Majora: That does sound interesting. One cool thing I've seen some sites use is a sort of unique take on a sidebar option that acts like a social media integration (like, "See GSHC's latest Tweets"). It displays activity from a variety of related sites, such as Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
December 09, 2017, 12:58:53 AM
Fox: And the way it'd work via code is not that all users would instantly get nicknames the minute you register... but rather, the moment you view a name if it doesn't have a nickname, it gets one. (My Thoughts.)
December 09, 2017, 12:53:55 AM
Fox: (I was thinking that it would be "Name (Nickname)" ... The nickname is what you first known the user as, and you can change that yourself... and the Name is what the user wants to be called... Something like that.
December 09, 2017, 12:47:56 AM
Fox: So like... for starters, one idea I had was to make it so anyone can name anyone... much like how it works on Skype, and you (the namer) would be the only one to see it, and such...
December 09, 2017, 12:45:02 AM
Fox: Would need to be carefully thought out and tested, though.
December 09, 2017, 12:43:02 AM
Fox: I'm thinking I could make it so that name changes can happen whenever... (Without any limit)... Since I believe there's a way to do it with minimum confusion. (I think.) Hmm....
December 09, 2017, 12:31:36 AM
Fox: (I mean an offline version... at least initially.)
December 09, 2017, 12:25:01 AM
Fox: Now that I have thought about it a bit more, would I be right to assume that GSHC would be one of the most interesting websites to administrate, or no? It's sad to see not much going on with it. == I almost want to make a concept website at some point. :D Anyway, how is everyone doing today?
December 06, 2017, 12:12:59 AM
Fox: Like... Start using Github or something... Do like how many of those other projects such as Citra (WIP 3DS Emulator) does. Etc.

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise